Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Going from Joystick to CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals

I've been doing FS since 1995 and have always used a joystick partly because at the time, there were no good yokes/pedals and partly because of my real world "job" as an F-15E driver stationed at the time at RAF Lakenheath UK (492FS). To make a long story short and hopefully get some advice/lessons learned, I've decided to migrate to CH yoke and pedals (yes I'm getting more gray hair as we speak :( and spending less time pulling Gs then in hauling passengers). Looking at the reviews on both, they come highly recommended. I also use CH pro throttles. So for the guys/gals who fly with CH yoke and rudder pedals, can you provide me some comment on any unique settings etc that I must do? I was simply going to remove the joystick and plug in the yoke and plug in the rudder pedals then go to FS9 settings/assignments menu and reassign what I had on the joystick to the yoke. As for the rudder pedals, I'd like to use differential braking, is there anything I have to do (or avoid) to make that work?Thanks in advance.Col (ret) Rich Perry, USAFIntel i7 965 Extreme Edition (oc'd 3.8Ghz) QuadNvidia GTX 285 (2GB) with nHancerOCZ 6GB DDR3 RAM 1800MhzSB X-Fi ExtremeVel Raptor 10000rpm RAIDDell 24" 1920x1200 resWindows Vista Ultimate 64-bitFS9/FSX, UT/GE, REX, FsGenesis, AS6.5/ASA, Squawkbox 4, TrackIR, etc etc.

I've been doing FS since 1995 and have always used a joystick partly because at the time, there were no good yokes/pedals and partly because of my real world "job" as an F-15E driver stationed at the time at RAF Lakenheath UK (492FS). To make a long story short and hopefully get some advice/lessons learned, I've decided to migrate to CH yoke and pedals (yes I'm getting more gray hair as we speak :( and spending less time pulling Gs then in hauling passengers). Looking at the reviews on both, they come highly recommended. I also use CH pro throttles. So for the guys/gals who fly with CH yoke and rudder pedals, can you provide me some comment on any unique settings etc that I must do? I was simply going to remove the joystick and plug in the yoke and plug in the rudder pedals then go to FS9 settings/assignments menu and reassign what I had on the joystick to the yoke. As for the rudder pedals, I'd like to use differential braking, is there anything I have to do (or avoid) to make that work?Thanks in advance.Col (ret) Rich Perry, USAFIntel i7 965 Extreme Edition (oc'd 3.8Ghz) QuadNvidia GTX 285 (2GB) with nHancerOCZ 6GB DDR3 RAM 1800MhzSB X-Fi ExtremeVel Raptor 10000rpm RAIDDell 24" 1920x1200 resWindows Vista Ultimate 64-bitFS9/FSX, UT/GE, REX, FsGenesis, AS6.5/ASA, Squawkbox 4, TrackIR, etc etc.
Hi Col. Perry,I've been using the combo for serveral years, and they both work very well. I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I found I had to download the drivers from CH Products to get things exactly where I wanted them to be, and since I did that, they've worked flawlessly. To answer your question aboit differential braking - yes, the pedals do work that way....I don't recall having to do anything special with them to make them work correctly.Good luck!Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If you were to spring for the PFC Cirrus pedals, I'm sure you would be pleased. They are light years ahead of the "others". I'm in my 10th year with these pedals combined with the CH yoke. Great combo.Alex Reid

If you were to spring for the PFC Cirrus pedals, I'm sure you would be pleased. They are light years ahead of the "others". I'm in my 10th year with these pedals combined with the CH yoke. Great combo.Alex Reid
Thanks Alex...I'll take a look. So it sounds as if it's a fairly painless migration. Now I just need to brake the joystick/hotas habit patterns!RP

My advice is to get a registered copy of FSUIPC , then you can calibrate the set up perfectly.

Peter Schluter

Kemo; I second the vote on FSUIPC...gives you a lot of flexibility in your setup. I use a PFC floor-mounted column yoke, their six-lever throttle quad, and the Cirrus pedals. Not cheap at all, but all metal and built to last. Seems a shame to take a no-compromise PC like you have and then slap a plastic yoke on the front end...feels sorta like connecting a $50 pair of Radio Shack speakers onto a $5000 audiophile stereo system. :( CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've had CH hardware (yoke, pedals, throttle quad) for a number of years too and I have never installed CH drivers of the manager. It works out of the box for me in FS2004. No special settings needed. Diff braking works out of the box too. The throttle quad works automatically for 1,2,3, and 4 engine props and jets. I do have FSUIPC registered but it's been hardly necessary to use it. I think I used it to configure one of the red CH yoke buttons to act as a TOGA button on several different types of BOEING aircraft but that's about it. CH never recommended using their manager application unless you wanted to assign macros and such like to the hardware. CH is rock solid reliable in my view. Enjoy your set up!JS

i've used the USB CHyoke and pedals since 2001 across four computers, three versions of FS, and never installed the 'CH drivers'.i use FS's configuration menu to assign buttons/views/etc along with the payware version of FSUIPC.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Going on three years and never had to use the CH drivers either, all set up within fs9 option menu. I love the yoke setup, but cant commment on the rudders As I don not have them.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest over and out

Hello,I have not used the CH products. I use Saitek pedals, PFC yoke, and GoFlight stuff.I have found that if I can get away with just pluging in and then setting up with just FS9 without the software from the hardware, then it has been easier for me. I have read a lot of good stuff about the CH products so I'm sure you will be happy and should be able to do what you need easily.I do however, HIGHLY rec you look into some of the other products discussed in this thread, such as the PFC items and GoFlight products. These are much more expensive, but very good, solid products. For example, I have a PFC yoke, its all metal, solid construction and plug and play with no drivers. It is really nice, but expensive.Also, I have a Saitek X5 joystick and throttle and I leave that installed along with my yoke set up, so that I can fly both types of planes.

I have the CH yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant. I don't use the CH software, The yoke and pedals are configured in FS9, I use FSUIPC for the TQ and any button assignments for my advanced aircraft. Works great.

Colonel,I've been running the CH Yoke and Pedals (many years) with two Saitek Throttles (6 levers; added 2008) along with a registered version of FSUIPC.With the six levers, I can mimmick a Herk (flaps/ four engines/ gear) or any two engine general aviation or commercial aircraft. Single engine too, with lots of extra levers... :)I concur with buying the registered version of FSUIPC.Regards,Jim