Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

FSX+FS9 questions

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't know any way to monitor that without manually comparing line by line in text pad :( Ahh, ok, I thought you had the 920. I love it, but the 860 is actually getting better results in a lot of areas, both defaults and much better overclocks, in some cases half a ghz. I run my 920 2.67 Ghz @ 3.80 with stock cooling very stable with no CTD's and or blue screens. The only thing I can think of is when you OC, make sure you have and keep turbo off. Other than that is good thermal paste but I'm sure your using arctic 5.The problem I have is even getting this much juice out of my cpu, my memory speeds are teribad to get it. I have the ram @ 1603 but timings are 9,9,9,24. I might try to reset to defaults and just oc the ram and see if I can clear up some texture load issues but am afraid to touch it since it's been running this way for several months perfectly.I look forward to the next gen Nvidia cards too. I have the GTX295 and hate it for fsx. It's no wonder it was quickly discontinued.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Good to ask some advice before installing fs9! I did it a while ago but I ran into a lot of trouble with my fsx install. I read on several forums that installing both fs9 and fsx is not a good idea. Problem is, when you encounter an error you never know if it is because of something you changed or only because you have fs9 installed too. After a few days of trouble I decided to uninstall fs9, re-install my windows and fsx. In short: I would not recommend it!
Sorry Pieter but this is so untrue. I have both on my system, on the same drive and they do not cause amy problems for each other. I don't see how they could as they each have their own directory folder and there are no files that are shared between them. They are totally independent programmes.Iain Smith

Well I finally got my FS9 delivery but either a lot of things are different than FSX or there's an install problem. 1st, It will not run in windowed mode, the screen just freezes but I hear the sounds around me etc... even the sounds change as I slew, yet the screen stay the same, and I am running at my monitor's native rez.2nd, when I hit "Alt" to access the menu, the screen freezes also. I have pause on task switch disabled. It also takes a lonnnng time to even show the menu once I hit ALT.I haven't installed any addons yet, only the FS9 patch.Also, I cannot run it in full screen mode or I would. My screen flickers like a strobe light and I'm still troubleshooting that.Well, back to my web searches. Any thought are of course appreciated.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

1st, It will not run in windowed mode, the screen just freezes but I hear the sounds around me etc... even the sounds change as I slew, yet the screen stay the same, and I am running at my monitor's native rez.
I fixed the other issues by disabling both Multi GPU and Physx in nvidia control panel, so no more flickering in full screen or strange loading flashes.The only issue that remains is not being able to fly it in windowed mode. When I try Alt+Enter, I just get the windows ding sound saying it aint happening. I have found a couple sites that have reported the issue and the problem was they were not running their monitor in the native resolution, but that's not the case for me.Anywho, all in all I am actually so far very impressed with it. Very smooth and not too much eye candy differences. I have all my .cfg tweaks in place, addons installed, and Triplehead2go rehooked up and enjoying it quite a bit :)Now to try and buy the MD-11, with my luck tonight, I will be one of the ones that can't access the cart :(

Dan Prunier

To restore either FS9 or FSX registry entries at least in part download this freeware registry fix toll:http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library
The Flight1 tool only replaces the exe path entry - there's a whole host of other registry entries for the sim that it can't replace.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

...I do want to try OCing the 860 but I'm having heat issues right now - pretty baffling to me considering I bought a top 10 cooler for the i7 platform. I'm seeing temps near 70C under 100% load with Prime95 at the stock speed for the 860, which is way too high. Reseated the heatsink several times to no avail - not sure what's going on.
Ryan, my guess is that maybe the heatsink is not 100% planar... it could be you have a dud... if the surface is not 100% level, then when you seat it, even if it is seated correctly, it will not lie 100% flat on the processor die block. Just a thought...Andrew