Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Uploading other people's files

Sadly a large proportion of the files I try to download from AVSIM still come up as 'missing'. Not sure if more is still to be done to fix this, or if this is how it will be in the future?Like many, I am sure, I kept a backup of all the files I ever downloaded and now have a store of over 5000 of them, the majority originally from AVSIM I think. Might it be a good idea (and it's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one) for there to be a page on the AVSIM forums where requests may be made for those who want particular files but cannot now locate them? I for one would be happy to repay the help others have given me via AVSIM over the years by uploading my zip files, on an as per request basis, to the AVSIM library,when a request for one of those I have backed up appears on such a page - making sure of course that the original creator of the file gets the credit. I am sure many others would feel the same.Or has this been done somewhere already? Can't locate anything,Martin

Sounds like a good idea to me!Bob
That would be nice as there are so many good files missing especially scenery. :(

Maybe if enough people thought this a good idea, AVSIM would need to make a sticky 'Files Wanted' page on the forums here?? Martin

Sadly a large proportion of the files I try to download from AVSIM still come up as 'missing'. Not sure if more is still to be done to fix this, or if this is how it will be in the future?Like many, I am sure, I kept a backup of all the files I ever downloaded and now have a store of over 5000 of them, the majority originally from AVSIM I think. Might it be a good idea (and it's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one) for there to be a page on the AVSIM forums where requests may be made for those who want particular files but cannot now locate them? I for one would be happy to repay the help others have given me via AVSIM over the years by uploading my zip files, on an as per request basis, to the AVSIM library,when a request for one of those I have backed up appears on such a page - making sure of course that the original creator of the file gets the credit. I am sure many others would feel the same.Or has this been done somewhere already? Can't locate anything,Martin
Unfortunately AVSIM's Terms of Use state:"User shall not upload, post or otherwise make available on the System any material protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the copyright, trademark or other proprietary right and the burden of determining that any material is not protected by copyright rests with User." (My emphasis)This means that what you suggest isn't possible without express permission. AVSIM needs such terms to protect itself.

Guest Gary Buska

Hello from AVSIMWhat a lot of users are not aware of is that the library managers like myself are contacting the authors of every file that is reported as missing or corrupt. You have no idea as to how many that is. At some point in time we will remove any other file that is bad so the library will be back to normal. We are trying to give everyone a chance to reload there file(s) :(

No, I certainly hadn't realised that that was happening. Good luck with it! (I've re-uploaded all my missing files already, so you can strike my name from the list of those to contact!! :-) )..Martin :-)

Guest Gary Buska
No, I certainly hadn't realised that that was happening. Good luck with it! (I've re-uploaded all my missing files already, so you can strike my name from the list of those to contact!! :-) )..Martin :-)
We thank you for your prompt action :(

Gary, sir, question. I found a file that is missing. However, I'm not sure if it's one that has been reported missing, and the author cannot be contacted by any means because he has passed years ago. What happens then? Should I still report it as missing? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Gary, sir, question. I found a file that is missing. However, I'm not sure if it's one that has been reported missing, and the author cannot be contacted by any means because he has passed years ago. What happens then? Should I still report it as missing? If so, how do I go about doing that?
I suggest that file has now gone for ever in those circumstances.

I suggest that file has now gone for ever in those circumstances.
Well, in any case, since I wasn't sure if Gary had made an attempt to contact the author in question, I've PMed him about the author in question. Hopefully, that'll speed the process up a bit.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Guest Gary Buska
Well, in any case, since I wasn't sure if Gary had made an attempt to contact the author in question, I've PMed him about the author in question. Hopefully, that'll speed the process up a bit.
I got your PM and we will remove his files that are bad thanks for the helpJust for further info in cases like this it is best to send a email to the library as well as not all of the managers read the forums.Of course as moderator I try to read at least this part of the forums.

Sorry I misread passed as passed away!

I got your PM and we will remove his files that are bad thanks for the helpJust for further info in cases like this it is best to send a email to the library as well as not all of the managers read the forums.Of course as moderator I try to read at least this part of the forums.
My apologies, sir.
Sorry I misread passed as passed away!
No, you're correct. That's what I meant. As the author in question had passed away, I had PMed Gary, so as to speed up the process of removing the missing files. My apologies for the confusion.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg