Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Looking for an honest evaluation of the Alphasim C-17A

I am facing a dilema about this aircraft. I've never owned an Alphasim aircraft before, so all of my experience comes from short term experience on friends computers. It's been a very mixed bag with most falling short of the standards I'd like to see in an aircraft. The visual models vary from good to outstanding, but the cockpits (particularly VC) vary from lousy to acceptable and I know they do essentially nothing in terms of systems modeling. With all of this said, I'm really a huge fan of the C-17 and have been considering this aircraft more and more. What I'm happy about is that the external model looks exceptional, almost second to none. However, I know the VC is non-existent at this point (and after my experience with the DA Fokker, I won't count on it until I see it). I know Alphasim typically has little systems modeling, although I've heard of an FMS in forums (which I expect to be basic if present). All comments I've heard about flight dynamics say something to the order of "feels right". However, I see little to expand on that...only a couple comments noting that it climbs very fast (which could be realistic or overdone for this aircraft).So with all of that, I know this is an expensive bird. Are there any mainstream reveiws available that google isn't turning up? Does anyone have some straight forward opinions? I'm looking for the objective what you like and don't like (I don't care to hear "it's a ***" or "it's awesome", just want the objective to keep things civil).

Eric Szczesniak

I am facing a dilema about this aircraft. I've never owned an Alphasim aircraft before, so all of my experience comes from short term experience on friends computers. It's been a very mixed bag with most falling short of the standards I'd like to see in an aircraft. The visual models vary from good to outstanding, but the cockpits (particularly VC) vary from lousy to acceptable and I know they do essentially nothing in terms of systems modeling. With all of this said, I'm really a huge fan of the C-17 and have been considering this aircraft more and more. What I'm happy about is that the external model looks exceptional, almost second to none. However, I know the VC is non-existent at this point (and after my experience with the DA Fokker, I won't count on it until I see it). I know Alphasim typically has little systems modeling, although I've heard of an FMS in forums (which I expect to be basic if present). All comments I've heard about flight dynamics say something to the order of "feels right". However, I see little to expand on that...only a couple comments noting that it climbs very fast (which could be realistic or overdone for this aircraft).So with all of that, I know this is an expensive bird. Are there any mainstream reveiws available that google isn't turning up? Does anyone have some straight forward opinions? I'm looking for the objective what you like and don't like (I don't care to hear "it's a ***" or "it's awesome", just want the objective to keep things civil).
I couldn't see paying more than $15.00 for anything that doesn't have a vc. It is really an incomplete product IMHO. 50N 737 is $12.50. I think that is a good comparison.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I couldn't see paying more than $15.00 for anything that doesn't have a vc. It is really an incomplete product IMHO. 50N 737 is $12.50. I think that is a good comparison.
Ya, that's the feeling I've gotten. Just can't personally figure out why it's selling for nearly $60 USD if there's not something I'm missing. Even with the VC, this would have to be nearly PMDG quality to make that seem logical.

Eric Szczesniak

Guest anthony31fs

Patience is a virtue so they say.I notice Alphasim say the 1.1 update (with the VC) should be released around mid Jan to Mid Feb. It's only after then that you may have your questions answered about the quality of the VC and level of systems modelling.

Patience is a virtue so they say.I notice Alphasim say the 1.1 update (with the VC) should be released around mid Jan to Mid Feb. It's only after then that you may have your questions answered about the quality of the VC and level of systems modelling.
I wonder if it will come before the (long ago promise) of the Digital Aviation Fokker 100/70 VC view? :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest anthony31fs
I wonder if it will come before the (long ago promise) of the Digital Aviation Fokker 100/70 VC view? :(
Ha Ha. Whenever I see a company announce a release date I multiply by two and add 3.

Well, personally I've given up hope on that one...I know they keep promising it and I'll be happy if/when it shows up, but it's been so long with so little (virtually none) in the way of tangible results that I just can't count on it anymore.

Eric Szczesniak

Or perhaps before an actual "working" version of the Airsimmer A320 :(