Sign in to follow this  
Guest claudius41ad

What a challenge.... Navigation with the default Corsair

Thanks to JohnM, I've opened up my hanger doors for the default Corsair. The default has no radios, no nav equipment that we have these days, just a compass, and some old car maps.My challenge, to fly across Canada with only car maps and the default Corsair. So far, so good. I departed Vancouver and just landed in Hope, BC (a little grass strip surrounded my mountains). I also have a VFR supplement which has all the airports in Canada. So with this, and some old car maps, I'm navigating the hard way, look out the window, look at the map, and guess where I might be.What a blast....

Flying IFR now are we? :)I - IF - FollowR - RoadsSounds like fun.Cheers Woodreau / KMVL

Guest claudius41ad

Hi there :-wave That sounds like a lot of fun and a challenge. Hope you will keep us informed as you progress.Good luck in your venture.RegardsRoger

>Flying IFR now are we? :)>>I - I>F - Follow>R - Roads>ROFL!!! This is even funnier as I remember my father used to fly in a small company plane. The company pilot could not navigate any other way than to follow the roads (no kidding). (He also like to point out the guy flew so low, he often had to go UP for telephone poles and lines)

Guest Coneman

Yeah, that is a lot of fun. I use old sectionals given to me by the local FBO. You can check your progress against them as you fly. I prefer the Hellcat though :-)Todd

Well Folks, just landed in Revelstoke, BC. Next stop, someplace West of here...

Guest tgabriel

I got my PPL in 1970 out in Idaho and that is exactly how we did everything. We covered VORs a very little bit, but mostly NDBs with the ADF. On my x/c runs I just did "I Follow Roads" and followed roads from Boise to Twin Falls to Hailey and back to Boise via Fairfield. :-zhelp:-walksmileAh, the good ol' days :-lol

Well, I decided to do some sight seeing. I just left CYRV (Revelstoke, BC) and flew North to Jasper (CYJA). I followed the Columbia River, and then just flew a 010 degree heading hoping to find Jasper. Well I found it. It's getting dark out, so will stop here for the night....Welcome to Jasper.. Just a little grass strip...