Sign in to follow this  
Guest Badger

Joining an ILS approach Norman Manley (Jamaica)

Guest Badger

Can anyone please help me fly this approach better.My problem is joining the final ILS approach after flying in from the North (Florida). My last waypoint is the MLY (VOR) 115.50. I'm vectored by RC to a heading of 250 (ish) I can't remember the exact heading as I write this, and down to 6000.My final approach vector is 158 and 5500 until intercepting the ILS for Rwy 12.This is where I'm having a problem. Rwy 12 has a heading of 118, but flying the default 737-800 with default scenery, I'm already right of the ILS approach and never capture it unless I make other heading changes.It would appear that the ILS flight path is angled differently to the Rwy heading. I'm assuming that an approach plate might tell me that I should go visual in the latter part of my landing, but I'm talking about the initial instructions from RC here, when I'm supposed to be joining the ILS approach.Making a 'guess' at another heading would seem to be contrary to my instructions of only changing heading once I capture the ILS beam.Could anyone advise me on what I should do?Is RC not able to cope with this approach or is it a more general problem with FSX.I suppose I could include more waypoints to make sure I end up at a more favourable ILS intercept, but I initially setup my flight plan to let RC vector me as it wanted.Any advice would be appreciated :)RegardsMark

Can anyone please help me fly this approach better.My problem is joining the final ILS approach after flying in from the North (Florida). My last waypoint is the MLY (VOR) 115.50. I'm vectored by RC to a heading of 250 (ish) I can't remember the exact heading as I write this, and down to 6000.My final approach vector is 158 and 5500 until intercepting the ILS for Rwy 12.This is where I'm having a problem. Rwy 12 has a heading of 118, but flying the default 737-800 with default scenery, I'm already right of the ILS approach and never capture it unless I make other heading changes.It would appear that the ILS flight path is angled differently to the Rwy heading. I'm assuming that an approach plate might tell me that I should go visual in the latter part of my landing, but I'm talking about the initial instructions from RC here, when I'm supposed to be joining the ILS approach.Making a 'guess' at another heading would seem to be contrary to my instructions of only changing heading once I capture the ILS beam.Could anyone advise me on what I should do?Is RC not able to cope with this approach or is it a more general problem with FSX.I suppose I could include more waypoints to make sure I end up at a more favourable ILS intercept, but I initially setup my flight plan to let RC vector me as it wanted.Any advice would be appreciated :)RegardsMark
i'd have to see a log, to see what is happening. how long does it take to turn to base, after being to told to turn to base? are you making snappy turns, or letting the plan fly what you are dialing in? the snappier you make these turns, the better the pattern.sounds like by the time you respond to the turn to base, it's already too late to turn to the intercept, which puts you too close to the localizer.jd

To keep RC delays to a minimum be sure to promptly ACK instructions especially when being vectored.MKJP with default FS9 scenery does not have a localizer or ILS approach on either end of the runway. On an older plate set I see a VOR approach to runway 12. AFCAD shows the frequency to be 115.5 and the VOR is located to the right of of the opposite end. This is also a steep approach it appears to some degree. Follow the descent profile I've attached.Now are you sure RC is requiring you to cross MLY and then fly about a heading of 250? If so you are on the south side of the airport and you'll never hit the VOR 117 heading inbound with a south east intercept vector. RC should be turning you to about 200 north of the airport for a right base entry about maybe 25 to 30 miles out then the 158 intercept (your still on the north side of the extended center line). I assume you are arriving from north of the airport.The last stage of your final below 400 feet will require you to visually align with the runway. Do you have an ILS in your scenery?Send jd the log to verify what RC sees, what it is doing, and what is required.

Guest Badger
To keep RC delays to a minimum be sure to promptly ACK instructions especially when being vectored.MKJP with default FS9 scenery does not have a localizer or ILS approach on either end of the runway. On an older plate set I see a VOR approach to runway 12. AFCAD shows the frequency to be 115.5 and the VOR is located to the right of of the opposite end. This is also a steep approach it appears to some degree. Follow the descent profile I've attached.Now are you sure RC is requiring you to cross MLY and then fly about a heading of 250? If so you are on the south side of the airport and you'll never hit the VOR 117 heading inbound with a south east intercept vector. RC should be turning you to about 200 north of the airport for a right base entry about maybe 25 to 30 miles out then the 158 intercept (your still on the north side of the extended center line). I assume you are arriving from north of the airport.The last stage of your final below 400 feet will require you to visually align with the runway. Do you have an ILS in your scenery?Send jd the log to verify what RC sees, what it is doing, and what is required.
Thank you both for replying.I'll send jd the log, hopefully in the next day or so.I'm sorry for the confusion. My last waypoint in my filled flight plan is MLY and RC is indeed turning me before I cross it, so its as you thought it should be.Yes FSX default scenery has an ILS approach in it to Rwy 12.RegardsMark