Sign in to follow this  
russellj

Reset Default Flight (FSX)

Can somebody please advise how to reset the default flight in FSX.In my config it has been changed and I want it reset.RegardsRussell Jourdain

Can somebody please advise how to reset the default flight in FSX.In my config it has been changed and I want it reset.RegardsRussell Jourdain
As far as I know the default flight itself cannot be changed. However, it is possible to save a flght called "Default" as I have one but it is no the same as the original default flight. IIRC the original default starts in the air with the Trike. Have a close look at the flights available in free flight. I remember that the original default flight has something different about its presentation and is represented by what looks like a drawing.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

On my FSX setup, the original default flight was the Trike, in the air over Friday Harbor in Washington State.It is stored in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Flights\other - and it's name on the HD is FLTSIM.FLT. On the list seen in the Select a Flight menu I believe it is entitled Over Puget Sound.Once you have loaded this flight and are in Fly Now mode, you can save the flight and put a check mark in the "make this the default flight" box in the save dialogue. This does NOT change the FLTSIM.FLT file - it only tells FSX to use this flight upon startup.Hoe that helps.

If you can'f find the file Opa mentioned:1. In case you haven't done a lot of tweaking in the fsx.cfg, remove fsx.cfg and start FSX. A new fsx.cfg will be made and the default flight will be loaded. Set everything up the way you want to and you are done. 2. If you have done a lot of tweaking in the fsx.cfg, move (not copy) the cfg to a save location, start FSX and save the original default flight that has appeared again, then quit FSX and A. copy the tweaks from the copy of the cfg you made into the new cfg or B. copy back the fsx.cfg to the original location (overwriting the new one): then load that saved default flight and change all the settings to your liking, because with that default flight the default settings will be saved two.

I overlooked outlining the "easiest" method to restore your default flight - without loosing any tweaks you may have made.Make a backup of your FSX.cfg file first.Then open your FSX.cfg file (using Notepad) and find the line which starts with Situation=. It will be under the [uSERINTERFACE] label. If you have changed the default flight, Situation= will be followed by a complete path to the name of the FLT flight file you currently have as the default.Example: SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Opa\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Southwest at KDAL(That is my current default flight)Delete everything after Situation= (being very careful not to take anything from the next entry - which on my system is Map_Orientation=2)When you are done it should look something like this:[uSERINTERFACE]PageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1SITUATION=Map_Orientation=2Save your work.Now when you restart FSX, it will use the original default flight because the situation= line is empty.I believe that is the simplest way to get back to the default flight.This is based upon my FSX setup - with XP as the Operating System.

Actually, whatever you choose for your startup flight and save with the "Make this flight the default flight" is written to this file:C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default.fltThis is the a/c I've set up as the "default flight" as my preference, and the position is saved as well in that file, which is KDAY at one of the G/A Ramps... :)

[sim.0]Sim=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1[simVars.0]Latitude=N39

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, whatever you choose for your startup flight and save with the "Make this flight the default flight" is written to this file:C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default.fltThis is the a/c I've set up as the "default flight" as my preference, and the position is saved as well in that file, which is KDAY at one of the G/A Ramps... :)If you have not saved a "custom default.flt" then the default.flt from the ..\Flights\other folder will be used.
That may be the way it works with your Operating System Bill, but on my FSX - XP setup, the path is different (as expected) and it does not save to a FLT file name default.flt as you say yours does - unless I give it that name when I save it (and make it the default flight).It simply saves it under whatever name I gave it and writes that info the the situation= line in the FSX.cfg file.Perhaps I just mis-understood your post.

That may be the way it works with your Operating System Bill, but on my FSX - XP setup, the path is different (as expected) and it does not save to a FLT file name default.flt as you say yours does - unless I give it that name when I save it (and make it the default flight).It simply saves it under whatever name I gave it and writes that info the the situation= line in the FSX.cfg file.Perhaps I just mis-understood your post.
Bill's description is how it is on my system, Opa - Windows 7, so perhaps he's also using that. Sorry - (old age) - I don't remember what it was in XP. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Bill's description is how it is on my system, Opa - Windows 7, so perhaps he's also using that. Sorry - (old age) - I don't remember what it was in XP. :(
That explains it then -It may be a "change for the better" but somehow it strikes me as "change just for the sake of change".A bit like road construction here in Texas (and other places too I suspect). Seems they cannot widen a road without changing all the elevations also - which ups the cost of course.Think they must teach that at engineering schools..........lol.

Actually, the name is the recipie for success. When (re)setting your "default.flt" you actually name the file "default" -and- check off the option to "Make this flight the default flight..." :( As it happens, this works irrespective of your operating system, aside from the actual ..\path\foldername. I've done this using every OS from Win98SE through Win7 x 64. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks all for your help.Removing the path after SITUATION = resolved my problem.RegardsRussell Jourdain