Sign in to follow this  
markturner

How to calibrate throttle using FSUIPC

I just got FSUIPC on the advice of another post, but cannot see how to calibrate or adjust the throttle properly.I have the GUI open, on "calibrate joystick" window. I have set , in & out boxes in the throttle section and if I move the throttle, the values in these boxes change. But am not sure how to proceed from here. My problem in game is that the throttle seems really twitchy, you cant easily and smoothly rollon the the gas, a slight movement will take you from 77% right up to 85% and then if you try and come back the same amount, the range is not the same coming down. I am using a Cougar HOTAS. Its making it really tricky to control my F-18 acurately on carrier landings. any help would be appreciated, I have tried reducing sensetivity in the in game control settings, but this limits the range ( I lose afterburner) Cheers, Mark

Mark,If you are going to use FSUIPC make sure and disable all controls within FSX and use FSUIPC exclusively otherwise you can run into issues.Here is a great tutorial in pdf format by John Cook. His tutorial was based on using CH Products hardware however, his instructions will apply to any control set. http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_Controls_with_FSUIPC.pdfEnjoy!!Bob

STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0This will return your control input to a more linear manner.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have been and got the simsamurai guide, but immediately find, it seems to be referring to a different version of FSUIPC than I have. Also, seems not exactly straightforward........ As is often the way in flight sims, sorting out one small thing can often be very involved!!! Will check out the other tutorial as well, thanks for the tip. WarpD, I presume I add that line to my .cfg file, I am sure it does matter where it goes, any ideas ? Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,Sorry, ignore, I thought it was for FS9.All I can say is make sure the numbers in the Joystick calibration in FSUIPC change smoothly otherwise you will not get smooth response in FSX.I think some other posters her might also have thought you were using FS9.

Hi vulcan, now I really am confused, did you post before in the thread under another name ? or are you saying ignore all adviceas they all must think I am using FS9... :( :( :( B)

WarpD, I presume I add that line to my .cfg file, I am sure it does matter where it goes, any ideas ? Cheers, Mark
It goes in the [CONTROLS] section.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Mark,I happen to know you are using FSX. As I stated above disable control input within FSX (click on your controls tab in FSX to disable control input) and use FSUIPC exclusively to calibrate your controls. Even thought John's guide was developed using FS9 it still applies to FSX and is a very good tutorial.I have only heard of STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 being used in FS9 and it was used when a person was not disabling control input from within FS9 (I guess this could still apply to FSX but I have never heard it mentioned). The line was not needed in FS9 if FSUIPC was given exclusive control of axis calibration (meaning control input within FS9 was disabled).Ed,Is there something I'm missing here?

Mark,I happen to know you are using FSX. As I stated above disable control input within FSX (click on your controls tab in FSX to disable control input) and use FSUIPC exclusively to calibrate your controls. Even thought John's guide was developed using FS9 it still applies to FSX and is a very good tutorial.I have only heard of STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 being used in FS9 and it was used when a person was not disabling control input from within FS9 (I guess this could still apply to FSX but I have never heard it mentioned). The line was not needed in FS9 if FSUIPC was given exclusive control of axis calibration (meaning control input within FS9 was disabled).Ed,Is there something I'm missing here?
Yep... I don't remove any joystick assignments in FS itself. I've never found reason nor need to do so.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yep... I don't remove any joystick assignments in FS itself. I've never found reason nor need to do so.
Ed thanks.STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 is only needed if you are not giving FSUIPC complete control of the axis' within FS and it does still apply to FSX. However, disabling control input within FSX assures you do not double assign any axes between FSX and FSUIPC. You must not have the same axes assigned in both FSX and FSUIPC or you will have issues. If you disable the controls within FSX and use FSUIPC exclusively, you cannot double assign your axes.To disable controls within FSX, Click on--->Settings, then click on Controls, and UNCHECK the box labeled Enable Controller

Guest Jeff11

this may be a silly question, but I assume you need the registered version of FSUIPC to callibrate controllers? Also, is it worth getting (again, I'm assuming this is a yes)

Ed thanks.STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 is only needed if you are not giving FSUIPC complete control of the axis' within FS and it does still apply to FSX. However, disabling control input within FSX assures you do not double assign any axes between FSX and FSUIPC. You must not have the same axes assigned in both FSX and FSUIPC or you will have issues. If you disable the controls within FSX and use FSUIPC exclusively, you cannot double assign your axes.To disable controls within FSX, Click on--->Settings, then click on Controls, and UNCHECK the box labeled Enable Controller
I have no idea how you would actually accomplish that. I do not have my joystick unmapped in FSX. I do have it calibrated via FSUIPC. It works flawlessly. Under no circumstances would I endorse removing assignments from within FS itself. The 'need' for that is flawed in my opinion.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have no idea how you would actually accomplish that. I do not have my joystick unmapped in FSX. I do have it calibrated via FSUIPC. It works flawlessly. Under no circumstances would I endorse removing assignments from within FS itself. The 'need' for that is flawed in my opinion.
Ed,Its not flawed at all. My guess is that you are not using mutliple controllers simultaneously in FS. I think it should be surely obvious that assigning an axis for the same function in two places would likely cause conflicts. Try having multiple controllers connected to your PC at once and you will quickly find that it is entirely possible because FSX cannot differentiate axes when mutliple controllers are connected to a PC and the controllers will conflict with each other. By disabling controller input within FS, it makes it entirely possible to use FSUIPC to its full potential and to make aircraft specific profiles without having the need to plug-in and unplug hardware (and keep track of where you plug what into). There is a reason that Peter Dowson recommends to disable controler input in FS, its so that you can fully take advantage of FSUIPC and not be hindered by FS's less-capable assignment system.

I've never felt the need to disable controller input in FS, I think that is primarily designed to prevent FS from on occasion seeing a controller as "new" and reassigning axis/buttons.With a complex controller, it seems to me you would want to make all assignments in fsuipc to take advantage of profiles or aircraft specific assignments (not to mention macros or lua for things which lack an assignable FS function).For my part I have axis assigned in fsuipc as normal FS axis, and haven't seen any particular problem. I do not use axis reverse thrust, as saitek has a button that is activated by pulling the lever all the way down and assigning that to "F2"-style functions works for me (has the limitation that once you set a level of reverse thrust, you can only increase the reverse or go to idle). That hasn't any obvious adverse effect on prop or mixture/condition.scott s..