Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Defrag Software

Hi, just curious to know what is the most recomended defrag software. Would Ultimate Defrag be the one?Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Diskeeper is the Pro choice.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Hi, just curious to know what is the most recomended defrag software. Would Ultimate Defrag be the one?Thanks,Bill
Hello BillFor flightsim use either Ultimate Defrag or O+O , use the name defrag method and move your flightsim directory to the outer (faster) area of the disk.Diskeeper is a fine product, but as far as I know it cannot defrag by name order.

Thanks for the response guys, will try out Ultimate Defrag

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

MyDefrag--works great and it's free.

Guest zzmikezz
MyDefrag--works great and it's free.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. In the case of MyDefrag, as with most (all?) free defraggers, there is no offline defrag mode which means that it cannot defrag your paging file or master file table. There are other system files that also must be defragged offline but the two I mentioned are the ones that most affect system performance.I use PerfectDisk for the offline defrags and O&O Defrag for the online stuff. If I had to pick only one it would be O&O, which can do some of the offline stuff but not all of it. I long ago stopped using UltimateDefrag. It sounds like a neat idea but in practice the exotic things it is capable of doing make no observable performance difference -- and it was buggy.

Guest zzmikezz
Wrong:http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQSpecialFiles-Ho...heSwapfile.htmlAnd how much did you pay for UltimateDefrag? That's right--you get what you pay for.
You need to learn some manners, Jim. "Wrong" is a strong word and I expect that you're either going to retract it or look very rude indeed. Anyway, you're right about one thing. Ultimate Defrag was a waste, one of the several defraggers I bought for purposes of review over at FlightSim.Com. The others are not a waste. (Only once have I ever accepted a freebie, Jim. It was an unsolicited submission from the PerfectDisk folks, who wanted to make sure that I reviewed their product. Have you ever accepted freebies, Jim? Other than the joystick and copy of AirBoss that you faked me into sending to you, that is? And when are you going to send those back to me, by the way?)As regards defragging of pagefile.sys, the only way to tell how good a job was done is to use a different program to report on the state of the pagefile. As it happens, Ultimate Defrag does this -- and it always tells me that PerfectDisk is doing a perfect job. O&O always says the same thing.By the way, what does your favorite freeware defragger do about the Master File Table? You know, Jim, $MFT? The on disk data structure that, if severely fragmented (as it becomes over time), bogs the file system, dramatically slowing file accesses for, say, scenery files?Do tell us about that, Jim, because the issue is kind of crucial. And when you discover that I'm right, don't forget to post as follows ...YOU ARE RIGHT, MIKE!EDIT: I should explain to the readers that the MFT is the system's multi-level index into the set of files, both system files and, more importantly, user files. If the MFT is severely fragmented, file access times go way up. Defragging pagefile.sys is relatively easy so many programs do it. Defragging the MFT is much more difficult so relatively few developers bother to try.

I have O&O 8.5 (no money to upgrade and why would I?), but I worry when i use it. On both my computers, after using O&O, I've had errors and even BSOD pop up. Everything is fine for the defrag, but once I reboot, even without offline defrags, I will have issues. I haven't wanted to use it for about a year. No other time do I get BSOD and I know it's the O&O program. It happened on both this computer and my old machine which was a completely different build.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest zzmikezz
Your alpha build of Air Boss was deleted a very long time ago, ghostware doesn't need to be returned. The joystick you purchased for me is working just fine.OK, wrong, MyDefrag can defrag the the page file:http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQSpecialFiles-Ho...heSwapfile.html
I want the joystick back, Jim. Are you going to send it to me? At your expense? If not, why not?And define "ghostware", Jim. Let's have a debate about that. For example, does "ghostware" refer to software you've never developed? (And why haven't you ever developed any, Jim? If you had, your contempt for me might be more understandable.)Or does "ghostware" refer to the software I've decided to hold back from the market because I have something much better up my sleeve? Something completely unrelated to flight simulation? And something that won't require support?)
I have O&O 8.5 (no money to upgrade and why would I?), but I worry when i use it. On both my computers, after using O&O, I've had errors and even BSOD pop up. Everything is fine for the defrag, but once I reboot, even without offline defrags, I will have issues. I haven't wanted to use it for about a year. No other time do I get BSOD and I know it's the O&O program. It happened on both this computer and my old machine which was a completely different build.
O&O doesn't claim to repair corrupted file systems, which is what your symptoms sound like. However, it certainly should stop defragging if it encounters crossed files or whatever. Anyway, I've not heard of your experience before, not from any other O&O user. But then I'm running version 8.6

No, when you purchase something for someone and things don't work out the way you want, you don't get things back. That is known as an Indian giver. You are not an Indian giver, are you?

Guest zzmikezz
No, when you purchase something for someone and things don't work out the way you want, you don't get things back. That is known as an Indian giver. You are not an Indian giver, are you?
See, folks? Again, no manners. I'll have to ask the Sioux in my family how they feel about the term "Indian giver". Of course if they say that they're fine with it then I'll have to apologize to Jim in this particular instance.Now, Jim ...I gave you a credit card number for you to buy the joystick. You bought it, then kept it, laughing at me. I had hoped that you would be gentleman enough to return it to the store where you bought it, for crediting back to my card. Why didn't you do that, Jim? I furnished you with the joystick so you could evaluate the product. You didn't evaluate it, you simply contemptuously thanked me for the joystick.Do you remember that, Jim?

You are correct, Jeremy. Sorry.