Sign in to follow this  
wroughtiron

Runway Lights

Hi allanyone know how to turn on an airports landing lights during the day.Say,during fog or limited visibility.I have 'Nick's' light fix and Real Env Pro: but neither says anything about 'lights on' during the day-I see many airports with PCL and some freeware airport scenery with NAV1/ADF tuning for the lights.thanks,

They do turn on with fog but the visibility needs to be quite low

Rob Prest

Here's an example from today at KCLE (local time 1030EST)--Weather 700/1nm--Runway/Taxiway lights are on. Not sure if default and payware airports are the same with regard to lighting in daytime or not (the example is from Blueprint KCLE). I use REX runway/aircraft lighting. As previous poster mentioned, I think it's more a function of visibility and ambient lighting whether it kicks in or not. RW certain aircraft can click their microphones on the radios and turn up or down the "rabbit"...we're not there yet in FS9 :( CheersRich Perrykcledaytime.jpg

wroughtiron- here is another shot of KCLE - today, Jan 4/10 @ 12:30 EST. FS9 default scenery & Real Weather- Overcast/Light precip, Vis 3/4 mile, Wind NW 16K. Note runway lights on.Regards Alex Reid

thankd for pics Rich and Alex.Found what I want but cant reproduce at other airports.Default London Heathrow EGLL - weather 'fogged in' ,1200 hrs summer or winter. ,3nm from touchdown(9LorR & 27L or R) - all lights are on (just visible). [Good old FS98 - one could adjust the level of Fog]JFK 31R had good strobes but no runway lights.KSFO runway 28L, similar to L/HEAStansted EGSS runway 5 - as L/HEAParis Charles de Gaulle LFPG - end lights only.other major world airports had varying degrees of lighting.Summing up - FS 9 engine has somewhere inside it, what determins when the lights are on and how much is switched on during restricted visibility.Is this the real world?I have the runway lighting program ' rwytxi.zip' by "jyarddog" but I'm still trying to work it.Dont think the lights have enough intensity for restrited visbility.David (Opa) Marshall has ,I believe, spoken of it in an earlier forum post.Hope this promotes further discussion 'cos aircraft and runway lighting seems to be one of the many topics in the forum.Clear skies,

wroughtiron- I just ran a quick test at CYVR- R8R. Daytime, summer.Runway lights are ON at visib. settings up to and including 2 miles. At 3 miles visibility, lights are off.Appears to be visibility distance that controls lighting.Alex Reid