Sign in to follow this  
Rickie Welsh

FS9 in Windows7

hello Folks, a happy new year to all. In order to accommodate FSX i did a clean install and upgraded my pc with Intel core i7 920 and a Asus P6T with 6GB DDR3 and with Windows7, this was done by a reputable computer centre locally. i installed FS9 into folder C\program files(x86)\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator 9. everything appeared to be ok checking the hard drive for the installed data. when i booted up FS9 the following box appeared with the message "scenery.cfg.file error area.038" click to continue, which i did, but the default Cessna was positioned not at Seattle but at a lat.long. entry and opened up at a location which looked like a desert. at this time i had not configured the settings. when i went to the world page this would not operate with the "Any" selected. i have installed FSX on a separate HD "D" configured as FS9 above and it is OK with Global2010 installed together with UTX usa and GE usa and this works fine except trying to undock views with windows full screen although it works with windows in mode, if this could be tweaked for windows full screen. however could anyone solve the problem with FS9 for an old timer like me who would appreciate the info in plain language. many thanks in advance. richard welsh.

Regarding your Area 38 error:On my setup Area 38 is the scenery entry for my Addon scenery folder.It should have a scenery and texture subfolder under it and it should have been added (activated) in the Scenery Library by default during the installation.Use Notepad to open your scenery.cfg file and see if your area 38 looks like mine:[Area.037]Title=Propeller ObjectsLocal=Scenery\propsLayer=37Active=TRUERequired=TRUERemote=[Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryLayer=38Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=Report back and we can go from there.

Hello David, thanks for your quick reply, but this is where you and i differ, you have the know how of finding files etc., and i dont. if i had your skills i would not need to post here, a pity you were not sitting beside me at my pc and hey presto sorted. thanks again. richard welsh

Hello David, thanks for your quick reply, but this is where you and i differ, you have the know how of finding files etc., and i dont. if i had your skills i would not need to post here, a pity you were not sitting beside me at my pc and hey presto sorted. thanks again. richard welsh
The only advice I offer at this point then is that you should take the time to learn the basics of working with any Operating System.By that I mean getting comfortable with "exploring" your Hard Drive and looking at files and folders (using My Computer as a navigating tool). Learn also how to make shortcuts, new files and folders and how to edit contents using the built in Notepad or Wordpad utilities.These are basic tasks which every computer user should learn as they will help you a great deal as you deal with FS issues and/or issues with other applications.For online help in this, you might take a look at this site:www.jegsworks.com (on the Main page click on "Jan's illustrated Computer Literacy 101").This an easy to follow approach to learning the basics.Also, at your local bookstore look for the "Dummies" series - they are available for almost every computer related Operating System and subject. Lot's of fun and great tutorials.All this may seem overwhelming at first, but trust me, it does get easier once you get familiar with the basics.

Hello David, i managed to open the scenery config. and in notepad the data is the same as yours in area 038. what else can i do to rectify the situation. richard welsh.

Hello David, i managed to open the scenery config. and in notepad the data is the same as yours in area 038. what else can i do to rectify the situation. richard welsh.
Good show Richard!The next thing I would do is to open the scenery.cfg file (I assume you are looking at the one which is in your Flight Simulator 9 folder) using Notepad again, and Select the Edit option at the top of the Notepad screen.On the drop down menu will be an option to "Find". Select that and type in area.038Then hit "Find next" . Hopefully it will find only one such entry. What we are wanting to prove is that there are not two such entries - that would generate an error message for sure.Keep us posted.

hello David, sorry to put you in this situation. i did as you asked and the area.038 remained as is.richard welsh.

hello David, sorry to put you in this situation. i did as you asked and the area.038 remained as is.richard welsh.
So you are saying there is only one area.038 entry? That is the way it should be.The next step then would be to verify that there are no duplicate area numbers in the scenery.cfg file. That is done using Notepad again and visually checking each line. It should start with area.001 and continue with consecutive numbers to the end - with no area number duplicates.All we are trying to prove at this stage is that you do indeed have a "clean" scenery.cfg file.

hello David, all the numbers are consecutive 1 - 38. richard welsh

hello David, all the numbers are consecutive 1 - 38. richard welsh
The next thing I would suggest is to explore (using My Computer) your Flight Simulator 9 folder and verify that it contains a subfolder named Addon scenery.Assuming you do find it, it should have a scenery and texture subfolder under it (that is two subfolders - one named scenery and one named texture.

hi David, the two sub folders exist and both are empty. richard welsh

hi David, the two sub folders exist and both are empty. richard welsh
Ok - I would like to try a small experiment - In order to do that I need you to send me an e-mail - using your regular e-mail client - as I want to send you a small file. It will be attached to my reply to your e-mail and will include instructions.My address is opflightsimaddict at verizon dot net

hello David, i composed an email using the address you gave but i received a failure notice to send it. i checked the address several times for accuracy. richard welsh

hello David, i composed an email using the address you gave but i received a failure notice to send it. i checked the address several times for accuracy. richard welsh
My typo - I left out an "a" - it should be opaflightsimaddict at verizon dot netSprry about that - fat fingers I guess.