Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Confused about Simconnect

I had a major crash on my computer recently where Vista 64 refused to load, so I used this opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, as lots of people have said Win 7 is much better than Vista especially for FSX. I reformatted the drive and installed Windows 7 without any problems, then proceded to install FSX, SP1 and SP2 (I don't have Acceleration), running FSX using default aircraft and rebooting between each installation - Everything now works like a dream.However, I have ASA installed on a Laptop with Windows XP and connected via a home network. I have 'Shared' the required folders on my FSX computer as instructed in the ASA manual. When I run ASA it wanted me to point it to the relevent network folders which I did and it started up as normal, but would not change the weather in FSX ?? I suspect a Simconnect problem.My question .... When Installing FSX, SP1 and SP2 etc does it automatically install Simconnect. I keep reading about the SDK kit, do I need to install that as well - I'm sure I didn't do this with the Vista installation. When I look in the same folder as the FSX.cfg file I don't see anything about Simconnect.Just wondering if FSX in not installing properly with Windows 7.Glen

Glen

Hi Glen,The SDKs are needed to install SimConnect on the client and since that is the same for you, you don't need to do that again.Installing FSX and the SPs/Acceleration will install the proper versions of SimConnect on the server computer.Now, the different part is in Win 7 in that the Workgroup Name, by default is different than with previous version of Windows. So that means you need to go into Win 7 and change the Workgroup name to match the client's Workgroup name. Then re-boot. Double check the config files for the proper IP address, and make sure the firewalls are allowing access. Then run the Traffic AI utility from the client with FSX running on the server and see what happens.

JimMany thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure if I had to install SDK on both the Client and Server.The manual says install SDK from CD1 and SDK sp1a, I notice there is now a SDK sp2, is it necessary to install this as well. I am using FSX SP2 ?Glen

Glen

Hi,It is best because then SimConnect SP2 wll be installed on the client.