Sign in to follow this  
c152flyboy

FPS Enhancement Package V2 by Tom Knudsen

can anyone who has downloaded this file please tell me how much of a difference you have seen since installing it. also i use the following addon's - GEXn, UTX, REX, UT2. will any of those be affected in a negative way by this addon?thanks you for the information.Kyle

can anyone who has downloaded this file please tell me how much of a difference you have seen since installing it. also i use the following addon's - GEXn, UTX, REX, UT2. will any of those be affected in a negative way by this addon?thanks you for the information.Kyle
It will certainly affect GEX: it will simply remove a lot of the GEX textures and replace them with downgraded default ones. I wouldn't use it.

Works a little better on my low end system. I was able to bump my sliders and traffic up a bit also.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest NOK

Tried this package and it gives me 5-10 more FPS!Looks great, I can see no difference from default.I use it on my Windows 7 boot, where I have default scenery + a few other big add ons like Swiss X + Austria. On the XP boot I have GEX/UTX etc., it will probably remove lots of the GEX textures if I use it here?

I wonder WHY anyone would ever replace default textures in such a destructive manner.The proper way would be to create a new sub-folder in the ..\Addon Scenery folder structure, and place the "revised" textures there instead. FSX will load them instead of the default ones, and it can be toggled on/off via the Scenery Library without having to close/reopen FSX... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The proper way would be to create a new sub-folder in the ..\Addon Scenery folder structure, and place the "revised" textures there instead. FSX will load them instead of the default ones, and it can be toggled on/off via the Scenery Library without having to close/reopen FSX... :(
Could you please post an example of a scenery.cfg entry for this? I recently bought a new hard drive, and just for the heck of it INSTEAD of placing the WHOLE FSX install on my extra hard drive, I JUST PLACED the add-on scenery folders there. I saw a big improvment, even though I was already happy it seemed to take "Stress" off the system.Anyhow, I wondered how or if I could place "default" textures on the extra hard drive and it appears from your post that I can do that! I just don't know how..Thanks in advance!

You can make an entire copy of your FSX install. All you do is copy all the files of the DVD's into a folder of your choosing. I do this so a) I have backups of all my default stuff, and :( installation is much much faster than from the DVD;s

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I wonder WHY anyone would ever replace default textures in such a destructive manner.The proper way would be to create a new sub-folder in the ..\Addon Scenery folder structure, and place the "revised" textures there instead. FSX will load them instead of the default ones, and it can be toggled on/off via the Scenery Library without having to close/reopen FSX... :(
Just one small problem with that idea Bill...........Assuming there are only textures involved, neither FS2004 or FSX will accept a scenery library entry unless it has at least one valid bgl in the entry's scenery subfolder.Having only a texture subfolder (with textures in it) will not work if the associated scenery subfolder is empty.

Hi guys,since I have to test my add-ons with different default and add-on combinations I have a setup where I keep multiple copies of the \Scenery\World\texture folder. They all reside in \Scenery\World but have different extensions that deactivate them except the "texture" subfolder. For example, I have "texture.default" and "texture.gex" and "texture.fscene" variants and switch between these by simply renaming them appropriately. Mind you, each folder clocks in at >5GB so you need to have the HD space. Also, you need to carefully manage your different folder variants when you install any add-on that makes changes or adds to \Scenery\World\texture. In short, I don't recommend this as a standard setup, it's just an option for someone who wants or needs to run parallel versions of land class ground textures and autogen annotations or wants to test an add-on like the one mentioned above.Cheers, Holger

Having only a texture subfolder (with textures in it) will not work if the associated scenery subfolder is empty.
Well poo! I've got to have a stern talk with my FSX 'puter then... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator