Sign in to follow this  
hightower

FS2004 Affinity Tool by Behcet H. Sefkatlioglu

So, in clear, easy English, what does this tool actually do? Does it make the use of multicore CPUs better or something? If so, how does it do that?
"this tool saves us the hassle of opening Task Manager and changing affinities manually"

I have the same eror message as Larryf in one of the posts above. My processor is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180.I have downloaded the file .rar file mentione and run it to load FS9. When I checked in Fle manager both CPUs were running and when I checked the affinity both were selected. When I unchecked Processor '0' FS9 ran on processor '1'. New version does not appear to be working. Regards

This looks interesting. What OS do you use? As far as I understand Sefkatlioglu's blog, this tool saves us the hassle of opening Task Manager and changing affinities manually.
WinXP on E8400. What's interesting to me is I can manually assign any combination of affinities I want but FS9 would always max out one core. But using this tool, no CPU core is maxed out anymore. Load is MUCH more evenly distributed between the two cores.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

What does affinity setting do? is it bad for the cpu's?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

What does affinity setting do? is it bad for the cpu's?
this isn't overclocking ... that can be bad for CPUs.this is assigning which of the CPUs (for chips that have multiple CPUs) are being used for each process/program.FS9 only 'understands' one CPU.the idea is you tell the OS, 'use CPU #1 for FS; and use CPU #2 (or #3, or #4, etc) for all non-FS process/programs.' :( as a result the CPU running FS isn't 'dealing' with all these other demands and FS, being mostly CPU bound, is 'faster' (ie, higher FPS and less stutters). :( :( --

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

this isn't overclocking ... that can be bad for CPUs.this is assigning which of the CPUs (for chips that have multiple CPUs) are being used for each process/program.FS9 only 'understands' one CPU.the idea is you tell the OS, 'use CPU #1 for FS; and use CPU #2 (or #3, or #4, etc) for all non-FS process/programs.' :( as a result the CPU running FS isn't 'dealing' with all these other demands and FS, being mostly CPU bound, is 'faster' (ie, higher FPS and less stutters). :( :( --
So do i have to set affinity for all programs? ex: fs9 cpu1 and the rest cpu2?Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

"this tool saves us the hassle of opening Task Manager and changing affinities manually"
So do just run the exe and minimize to desktop or do I need to larch FS9 with this utility???Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Thanks ScoobWhat I'm asking, I use fsauto start to shut down programs and launch FS9. Do I launch affinity first and minimize or can I use auto start to run both programs??Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Really? Typically, I launch Active Sky before I launch FS9 so the Affinity Tool could be launched 2nd and then FS9 3rd. So I guess that doesn't matter? It appears that everyone is saying that it won't matter what order anything gets launched in as long as one uses the Affinity Tool.Does that seem like the truth? Please advise and thanks!Mark

I have the same eror message as Larryf in one of the posts above. My processor is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180.I have downloaded the new '.rar' file mentioned earlier and run it to load FS9. When I checked in Fle manager both CPUs were running with identical loads and when I checked the affinity both were selected. When I unchecked Processor '0', FS9 ran on processor '1'. New version does not appear to be working. Sorry to have posted this again but it still does nothing on my PC. It detects that I have duel CPUs and launches FS9.

I have the same eror message as Larryf in one of the posts above. My processor is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180.I have downloaded the new '.rar' file mentioned earlier and run it to load FS9. When I checked in Fle manager both CPUs were running with identical loads and when I checked the affinity both were selected. When I unchecked Processor '0', FS9 ran on processor '1'. New version does not appear to be working. Sorry to have posted this again but it still does nothing on my PC. It detects that I have duel CPUs and launches FS9.
Tyr this file : http://hotfile.com/links/22976120/d265925/...U_ALL_CPUs_.rar . it must be work.If you have Vista or Windows7 try to run it with "Administatro mode"