Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

At a loss and Looking for help

Guest N73GX

I am trying to find a DC-3. I did not know how difficult this venture would be. The DC-3 by Jan Visser is a great model but was made for fs2000. Does anyone know of a site that explains in full detail what to download by file name, how to edit whats needs to be edited and in what sequence. I have downloaded so many files for the DC-3 and the RD$ stuff but none of it is making since. Does anyone have a fool proof way to get this installed for 2002I just saw on the site about the new upload of the DC-3 file name

In all honesty, rather than mess around with files and updates, do yourself a favour and get the latest version on CD, which installs directly ! This can be obtained here:http://www.maam.org/maam_sim.html"You can own your own copy of this critically acclaimed product and support the MAAM Engine Replacement Fund with your purchase. The CD includes full, up-to-date, self-installing R4D packages for MS Flight Simulator 98, 2000, 2002 (non-Gmax), and Combat Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Fully illustrated html manuals that you can read with your browser, contain complete instructions for installing and using the panels and aircraft. They are even musically accompanied by swing music midis! Plain text and Adobe PDF format versions of the manuals are also included for printing, if you wish."The CD comes with a host of extras, and is well worth the price. Be aware that the full GMAX R4D is due out in September, but then you could have been flying the current one for two months by then !Alastair

JasonThe R4D-6, by Jan Visser and team, used to be freeware but became shareware. It is well worth getting hold of though. The panel and soundset are second to none. There is now a single file that installs the lot with all upgrades for FS2002.However, Jan also created a DC-3 for FS2000, which has been updated for FS2002 in all the repaints I have personally done of his aircraft. These repaints are based on five different model sets (engines, doors, pax or cargo, etc.) but all have been uploaded in recent months as freeware. These do not require the R4D-6 to function - they are all standalone - although as stated above you would benefit from the R4D-6 panel and sound. There are other panels and soundsets available, however.This is the listing of those DC-3s of Jan's I have painted - with his kind permission - as freeware contributions to our hobby:Cathay Pacific 'Betsy' VR-HDB (2) CPABETSY.ZIP (includes panel by Jorge Salas)Cathay Pacific 'Betsy' Cargo CPABETSY2.ZIP (only at www.swiremariners.comcxkaitak.html)Cathay Pacific 'Nikki' VR-HDA CPANIKKI.ZIPAnsett MAL VH-MAL ('Betsy') DC3ANSOC.ZIPAnsett PNG VH-MAL ('Betsy') DC3ANSNC.ZIP (Pratt & Whitney engines)Airlines of NSW 'Viewmaster' (P&Ws) DC3ANSW.ZIPBush Pilots Airways VH-MAL ('Betsy') DC3BPA.ZIPAir Queensland VH-MAL ('Betsy') DC3AQAC.ZIPBBA Cargo VH-BAB DC3BBA.ZIPBOAC G-AGHE DC3BOAC2.ZIPDan-Air G-AMPP DC3DAN.ZIPAmerican Airlines N21798 DC3AAFK.ZIPLambair CF-CBJ DC3LAMB.ZIPAir Vietnam XV-NIA DC3VIET.ZIP, DC3VIET2.ZIP (includes flight plans)Bahamas Airways VP-BBU DC3BAHAM.ZIPDelta Air Lines NC28341 DC3DELTA.ZIPSwiss Air Lines HB-IRN DC3SWISS.ZIPC-47 BBMF ZA947, Aces High N147DC C47RAF2.ZIPC-47 USAAF 41-18385 C47BETSY.ZIPAll the above will benefit from the recommended upgrade DC3AIR.ZIP. The following uploads already have this upgrade:Ansett ANA 'Cargomaster' DC3ANSCA.ZIPAirlines of NSW 'Viewmaster' (Wrights) DC3ANSW2.ZIPBEA 'Pionair' G-AHCZ DC3BEAPI.ZIP Qantas VH-EDC DC3QNTAS.ZIPCambrian Airways G-AGHM, G-AHCZ DC3CAMB2.ZIP, DC3CAMUP.ZIPAir France 'Aeropostale' F-BAIF DC3AIRFR.ZIPMandated Airlines (PNG) VH-MAL DC3MANDA.ZIPAir Atlantique G-AMRA DC3ATLAN.ZIPCanadian Air Force RESCUE (CC-129) 12905 DC3CAFRS.ZIPC-47 Canadian AF 'Canucks Unlimited' C47CAFCU.ZIPOzark Air Lines N763A DC3OZARK.ZIPNordair CF-HTH DC3NORDA.ZIPCaribair N8011E DC3CARIB.ZIPTo find these planes, just enter "Mark Beaumont" in the library search engine at Avsim: they are all there. If you read the READMEs carefully you will find any of these to be easy to install.I have two more repaints scheduled for FS2002, for release this week, and then will not be doing any more. I may or may not paint DC-3 aircraft for FS2004; don't worry, though, there will be plenty!To date - and I have not had a chance to test this myself - it seems that all the above aircraft will work, with all animations, in FS2004 with the exception of the prop axes and prop circles, which have disappeared (thanks, MS!). It may not be possible to overcome this, I don't know yet, but in any case FS2002 will be staying on my own HD for some time to come. I have too much invested in it!Hope this helps a little. Jan's new GMAX 'plane is due 26 September, and of course there'll be a default DC-3 in FS2004. Regrettably, Microsoft have created bitmaps that will not allow many real-world liveries to be painted accurately (thanks again, MS!) but the panel, VC and soundset are reported to be very good.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Captain Barfbag

The Visser/Beaumont planes are really worth it. (Much more than worth it! They're freeware.) I happened to download the Ozark one a few days ago, and it just took me away. These planes are basically drag-and-drop from the ZIP file into FS2002. Read the notes, though, because you will want to update the sound files as suggested. The DC-3 is not a quiet plane by today's standards, and you'll really want to wake up your neighbors with this one.

Thanks, Barfy. We try, we try ...I flew on a Dak for the first time myself recently. Air Atlantique G-AMRA at the Coventry show (which I've painted, of course). Sat as close as I could to the starboard pot. Oh, such music .... no eardrums left, of course, but such music.Two more Gooneys to come off the production line this week - both in current service, to satisfy the whingers who say they don't fly anything that doesn't exist anymore - and then it's on to new things.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest racartron

James Underwood has a nice freeware panel for the DC-3. And there are a bunch of great old radial sounds also available as freeware.I have the R4D6 as well but actually fly the Vasser birds a lot more often. And that is all due to one "Dark Moment" in time when I discovered all those great repaints. Thanks so much for all your efforts, Mark. And also thanks for publishing your list of repaints. Found out I was missing a couple :) Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Thanks, O ambiguously named one.Couple more for you in a day or two, as I said above ... better check the weather between Hay River and Yellowknife ... it's minus 40' in the winter and rather dark but it's all in a day's (night's?) work for a DC-3. Yo.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg