Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonicfan

FS2004 Crash to Desktop with No Error

Guest tonicfan
Hi,it happens to me occasionaly. A CTD without any error message whatsoever. I found a solution that works for me - a bizzare one but it works. Now, these CTD's usually happen when I fly to my home airport LJLJ sometime in spring. I found that if I go to LJLJ when I start FS, I will get a CTD, but not always. If it happens, I simply restart FS, go to LJLJ again and - it will load normally! Then I simply go to the departure airport and do the flight. The trick is to go to the "offending" airport first and all will be well. Why? I have no clue... Like you, I also deactivated all add-ons, AI and whatnot - I even use the Modules folder clear of .dll's that belong to add-on aircraft (I use custom fs9.cfg's and batch files to copy only the relevant .dll to the modules folder when I fly that particular aircraft), all to no avail. But the above solution works for me. For some reason. I have no explanation... if I remember correctly, there is a sort of a seasonal bug within the FS9 (when seasons are changing) that could cause a no-error CTD, but I really don't remember the details about that. :(
I am not sure if this matters because i do not recall if this happened while i was flying around Toronto, but yesterday i was flying around Aspen, CO and it did it again, but i heard a click and i looked down and i realized my EXTERNAL HD was plugged in to the USB and that thing likes to use up resources for sure, i dont know how it does it, but ive had issues what that thing plugged in and other DOS items running. Now, there is nothing associated with the external loading anything for FS9, but just having it on has created issues before since it is USB and ive heard of USB items giving problems to other programs at times. Although my itunes library is on there and ive flown while listening to Itunes and never had that issue, so who knows. It does bother me after 2 hours of flight the thing crapped out on approach and my VA's system doesnt allow continued flights as far as i know. :( the ActiveSky was active during this time as well and i get some screen flicker with FS9 when activesky is loading a new weather system sometimes, i have a feeling that may be part of the issue still. Either way i am still testing stuff out to see if it happens again and i will record it.

Guest tonicfan

Yeah its definitely not the external hd. I was flying to Buffalo just now and the thing crapped out like it did before, shut down with no explanation. I wasnt running Active sky either. I did add some new scenery for buffalo airport that i did not have before, i am wondering if its the scenery again. This happened last week again too over colorado. So something is definitely wrong with the game and im pretty ######. I hate having to keep testing this crap on and off its a waste of my time.Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I am not sure if this matters because i do not recall if this happened while i was flying around Toronto, but yesterday i was flying around Aspen, CO and it did it again, but i heard a click and i looked down and i realized my EXTERNAL HD was plugged in to the USB and that thing likes to use up resources for sure, i dont know how it does it, but ive had issues what that thing plugged in and other DOS items running. Now, there is nothing associated with the external loading anything for FS9, but just having it on has created issues before since it is USB and ive heard of USB items giving problems to other programs at times. Although my itunes library is on there and ive flown while listening to Itunes and never had that issue, so who knows. It does bother me after 2 hours of flight the thing crapped out on approach and my VA's system doesnt allow continued flights as far as i know. :( the ActiveSky was active during this time as well and i get some screen flicker with FS9 when activesky is loading a new weather system sometimes, i have a feeling that may be part of the issue still. Either way i am still testing stuff out to see if it happens again and i will record it.

I just read this old thread on the search fro soemthing else. You say you get CTDs. Do you get really "just" Crashes to Desktop or a black screen with a complete system shutdown or with a system reboot?Wolfgang