Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

a/c type test question

Which four engined passenger jet transport can land and stop within 1,600ft at an auw of 180,0001b ??Vololiberista

IL-76 ?I know.. not really a passenger jet..just a guess(is that an IL-62 in your avatar :( )
a. Sorry, but it is a passenger jet!!b. It is't an IL-62Vololiberista

Would it be made by Lockheed?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No! :( (clue: It's plain (plane) to see!)Vololiberista
Could the answer be a Vickers VC-10?The VC-10s, along with the Tu-154, Tu-134 and Il-62 are among my favorite passenger jets.
............(is that an IL-62 in your avatar :( )
Its a VC-10 in the avatar. You can tell from this angle because of the horizontal stabilizer on the T-tail. On the VC-10 its like a Whale's tail fin. The Ilyushin IL-62's stabilizer is a more traditional shape with straight lines. Also the engines on the VC-10 are little smaller.

The answer is indeed the VC10! The rwy at Brooklands where they were built was only about 4,000ft. Not only were they able to land within less than half the rwy distance but the take off was impressive. I remember fully laden at Heathrow they had already attained 700ft passing the old control tower. Also as far as I know the VC10 is the only passenger jet transport to have an aerobatic licence!!Vololiberista

Have a look at this video on Youtube A Flight of FancyVololiberista
"Flight of Fancy?" Better would be "Flight of Fantasy!" :( There sure was a lot of "artistic license" in that promo film. Cleared for 22R (daytime) but they landed on 4 at night, even the descent approach showed scenery from all over the world... :( The VC10 sure was a beautiful aircraft though! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The answer is indeed the VC10! The rwy at Brooklands where they were built was only about 4,000ft. Not only were they able to land within less than half the rwy distance but the take off was impressive. I remember fully laden at Heathrow they had already attained 700ft passing the old control tower. Also as far as I know the VC10 is the only passenger jet transport to have an aerobatic licence!!Vololiberista
Pretty cool bird; also the one of the loudest I have ever heard. Back in the day I worked just north of KIAD on the path to what was 19R and the Brits were still flying VC10's. There was no question about who was on final or takeoff....

Most jets of that era were noisy! The VC10's speciality was short field take offs. It had to be, taking in to consideration where it was built! So, the short field take off technique became the common practice. I remember the acceleration was quite dramatic almost like Concorde!!!If you want to see a demonstration of its performance do a couple of take-offs and landings at Addis at auw. Then repeat with a 707 at auw or even a 747! In a 747 at Addis you will use all the rwy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then it will climb away like a lame duck (likewise the 707) in comparison to the VC10!!Vololiberista

Then it will climb away like a lame duck (likewise the 707) in comparison to the VC10!!Vololiberista
My late father always remarked that both the Caravelle and the VC10 took off like homesick angels... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Most jets of that era were noisy! The VC10's speciality was short field take offs. It had to be, taking in to consideration where it was built! So, the short field take off technique became the common practice. I remember the acceleration was quite dramatic almost like Concorde!!!If you want to see a demonstration of its performance do a couple of take-offs and landings at Addis at auw. Then repeat with a 707 at auw or even a 747! In a 747 at Addis you will use all the rwy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then it will climb away like a lame duck (likewise the 707) in comparison to the VC10!!Vololiberista
Yup, the VC-10 is remarkable! Its a great thing to see on final approach with the flaps down (its too bad we can't see that in the real world anymore).If anybody wants to fly a VC-10 in FS9. There's a very good one available for free at:http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/vickers_vc10.htmby David Maltby. You can use it with the freeware Delco Carousel IV-A INS. All its missing is a Virtual Cockpit, I am hoping it will get updated with one at some point.Also for anyone who hasn't visited:http://www.dmflightsim.co.ukthere are other British aircraft available as well: BAC One-Eleven, DH106 Comet and HS121 Trident - all with detailed VCs. I've had them all for a while and they are all pretty good, the BAC 1-11 my favorite of the bunch. My thanks to David Maltby for all his great aircraft.There used to be a payware VC-10 as well, with a Virtual Cockpit, by David Chester and published by Addictive Simulations a while back: http://www.vc10.com/fly/I don't know if this one is still available. It has a decent Virtual Cockpit for the time and the 3d model was good as well, it doesn't have all the systems modeled though, but it is fun to fly and the handling feels good. I still fly it from time to time along with the Maltby model.I hadn't flown the VC-10 for a while and thanks to this thread decided to take a break from the PT Tu-154M today and just had a go in it in FS9 - it felt good to fly it again! The handling is really remarkable for a mid-sized passenger jet. In terms of take-off performance and handling there are some similarities between the Tu-154 and VC-10.Its a pity the VC-10 wasn't a big commercial success with airlines world-wide - I think its a great plane.In my opinion it deserves an updated, highly in-depth model for FS.

Yup, the VC-10 is remarkable! Its a great thing to see on final approach with the flaps down (its too bad we can't see that in the real world anymore).If anybody wants to fly a VC-10 in FS9. There's a very good one available for free at:http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/vickers_vc10.htmby David Maltby. You can use it with the freeware Delco Carousel IV-A INS. All its missing is a Virtual Cockpit, I am hoping it will get updated with one at some point.Also for anyone who hasn't visited:http://www.dmflightsim.co.ukthere are other British aircraft available as well: BAC One-Eleven, DH106 Comet and HS121 Trident - all with detailed VCs. I've had them all for a while and they are all pretty good, the BAC 1-11 my favorite of the bunch. My thanks to David Maltby for all his great aircraft.There used to be a payware VC-10 as well, with a Virtual Cockpit, by David Chester and published by Addictive Simulations a while back: http://www.vc10.com/fly/I don't know if this one is still available. It has a decent Virtual Cockpit for the time and the 3d model was good as well, it doesn't have all the systems modeled though, but it is fun to fly and the handling feels good. I still fly it from time to time along with the Maltby model.I hadn't flown the VC-10 for a while and thanks to this thread decided to take a break from the PT Tu-154M today and just had a go in it in FS9 - it felt good to fly it again! The handling is really remarkable for a mid-sized passenger jet. In terms of take-off performance and handling there are some similarities between the Tu-154 and VC-10.Its a pity the VC-10 wasn't a big commercial success with airlines world-wide - I think its a great plane.In my opinion it deserves an updated, highly in-depth model for FS.
The updated model with the delco INS is a good model. It's about 80% of the real thing!!!! Which is(as it still flies until 2011)a pilot's dream. Even by today's standards the VC10 is an easy intuitive a/c. And now that Concorde has sadly gone (courtesy of the French) the VC10 is the fastest jet transport (again!!!)Vololiberista