Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

memory speed holding me back?

That was true more than six months ago but has all been resolved, You can find plenty of 2000+ on NewEgg. The only good reason to grab some is that it allows you to do very low latency at very low voltage. 7-7-7-20 on 1.5v at 1600+ helps keep the IMC cool and allow for higher O/C without stress.
It was far less than 6 months ago. You can find posts on these forums from people still experiencing the problem within the last couple months. Last I checked all the parts out there now are still using the Elpida Hyper ICs. Fixed or not I wouldn't trust a product with such a high failure rate. If some other IC maker has produced parts capable of > 1600MHz operation then I would consider recommending such products.

Guest FlyingBits
It was far less than 6 months ago. You can find posts on these forums from people still experiencing the problem within the last couple months. Last I checked all the parts out there now are still using the Elpida Hyper ICs. Fixed or not I wouldn't trust a product with such a high failure rate. If some other IC maker has produced parts capable of > 1600MHz operation then I would consider recommending such products.
What is your problem mate? You want to grill me for being off by a week or two? LOL!The issue caused Corsair and others to pull the bad ram in early late June/July. By July 22 Corsair as well as others re-introduced the ram as the problem was resolved:That makes 6 months ago about right partner.http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/displa...per_Memory.htmlCorsair, G.skill, Geil, Patriot are not selling deffective 2000mhz DDR3, newegg would not be selling it and everyone would be reporting it if that were the case. The issue has been delt with. Just dont buy it from a mom & pop if you suspect anything.Come on, have a cold one and chill out.

A week or two? You said 6 months, I said more like 2. I don't trust parts that have design flaws. See: AMD Phenom and the infamous TLB bug.

Guest FlyingBits
A week or two? You said 6 months, I said more like 2. I don't trust parts that have design flaws. See: AMD Phenom and the infamous TLB bug.
Yeah, it was 5 months an 14 days ago that the problem was resolved, I was off by one or two weeks. And you are still going to scare people off? What part dont you get?. LOL!

I think you misunderstood. The point is not when the companies making the RAM claim to have fixed the problem, the point is that the users of the product are still complaining about problems as recently as a couple months ago.I see you have some DDR3 2000 in your sig. Seems to me like you have a personal interest in this (i.e. defending your purchase decision) so I'll not continue this discussion with you, as you are clearly emotionally involved. If the O.P. has further questions I'll be happy to help him though.

Guest FlyingBits
I think you misunderstood. The point is not when the companies making the RAM claim to have fixed the problem, the point is that the users of the product are still complaining about problems as recently as a couple months ago.I see you have some DDR3 2000 in your sig. Seems to me like you have a personal interest in this (i.e. defending your purchase decision) so I'll not continue this discussion with you, as you are clearly emotionally involved. If the O.P. has further questions I'll be happy to help him though.
Yer real funny, I have no problem at all little buddy. My personal interest is max performance, and what actually works for the money.Some people are still having problems with a lot of first gen hardware but I don

Hey guys - Thanks for all the info. I have just reduced my memory multiplier from 'auto' which was set at x10 (1600 - the rated speed of me memory) down to x8, which brought it down to 1480. So, I suppose what I have done is to underclock my memory. My CPU Id still says my cpu is running at 3885, which is a good thing.Can someone tell me exactly what the memory multiplier is and its relationship to the CPU in a language I can understand (dumb it down, in other words).Thanks,RH

Guest FlyingBits
Hey guys - Thanks for all the info. I have just reduced my memory multiplier from 'auto' which was set at x10 (1600 - the rated speed of me memory) down to x8, which brought it down to 1480. So, I suppose what I have done is to underclock my memory. My CPU Id still says my cpu is running at 3885, which is a good thing.Can someone tell me exactly what the memory multiplier is and its relationship to the CPU in a language I can understand (dumb it down, in other words).Thanks,RH
Try this Robb, starts third post down:http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=5736Grab a cup of joe and enjoy.By the time your done I think you will find you can go back to 1600 on the mem and get the overclock you want. Grab a few benchmark tools like Vantage, Everest and prime95 and with some patience you will find the sweet spot for your rig.

I don't think I can move it back to 1600 speed, both Auto and X10 move it to 1850, the next option down (x8) moves it to the current 1480 speed. Wow, thanks for the link. I will read it over and maybe I can figure out how to perhaps get it back to 1600 while overclocking the CPU to at least 4Ghz.RH

Guest FlyingBits
I don't think I can move it back to 1600 speed, both Auto and X10 move it to 1850, the next option down (x8) moves it to the current 1480 speed. Wow, thanks for the link. I will read it over and maybe I can figure out how to perhaps get it back to 1600 while overclocking the CPU to at least 4Ghz.RH
If you have to stay at below 1600, use a program like CPU-Z and go to the SPD tab, it will read the Memeory timings available as reccomended for your Memory off of the modules, likely you can us ehte tighter timings that will give you better or the same perofmence as faster memory but the losse timings. For example you may be at 9-9-9-24 for 1600, but going for tighter 7-7-7-20m at 1333 or 7-8-7-24 at 1480 etc will be better if not at least as good. You can run the synthetic memory benchmarks in Everest to compare. Free dowload to use for 30 days. So, Get CPU-Z, its free unlimited use and enjoy. Let us know how you make out.