Sign in to follow this  
Americanvet

Computer Upgrade

Hello, i am looking to upgrade my machine and am I am wondering which will perform better. Is a video card upgrade or a cpu upgrade more effective. Below are my specs.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor <LI>Asus P5N-E Motherboard <LI>(8GB) DDR II 800MHz PC6400 Memory <LI>250GB 7,200 RPM SATA2 Hard Drive <LI>22X DVD

Hello, i am looking to upgrade my machine and am I am wondering which will perform better. Is a video card upgrade or a cpu upgrade more effective. Below are my specs.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor <LI>Asus P5N-E Motherboard <LI>(8GB) DDR II 800MHz PC6400 Memory <LI>250GB 7,200 RPM SATA2 Hard Drive <LI>22X DVD

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I am going to have to disagree. FSX is a CPU intensive game and upgrading your CPU is your best bet. I personally would try to find a CPU that is clocked at least 2.8. 3.0ghz would be best. This is my theory on FSX: Graphics cards will make the frames smoother and CPU will make you have more FPS.Taylor Oldham

I agree 100% that it is cpu intensive, but with what he has, JUST upgrading the cpu isn't worth the money. Even getting another 500 mhz from the same architecture he may see a couple frames. You call that worth it?

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

He should try overclocking. I have a Q6600 but I have stinkin' Dell so I can't overclock but I heard the Q6600s are very very overclockable.Taylor Oldham

I agree, and if he's able and comfortable with that I would advise the same, just I wouldn't waste the money to get it, rather save for a bigger more worthwhile upgrade for later.

Dan Prunier

Agree. By the way, that paint you did of the "787" on the MD11 kind of inspired me and I am trying for the first time to copy a paint but on another plane. I am attempting to put the Airbus A380 factory paint on the PMDG 747. Ironic aint it? :)Taylor Oldham

Haha, that's awesome Taylor! Glad you liked it and hope to see your project when your done!

Dan Prunier

Definitely CPU. You need to go to the i7 architecture though, which means new mobo and RAM as well. Going to a higher C2Q isn't going to do much for you. You could also get a good cooler and try OCing the Q6600, but that's not going to give you as much as going to an i7 will.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Is there a program that assists in the overclocking?Michael Davis
Overclocking is done in the BIOS. Check out places like Hard OCP, Overclockers.com or Overclock.net for more help on overclocking. Overclocking is a time intensive and consuming pursuit. Know that if anything is under warranty, overclocking will void the warranty. It can also shorten the life of the part. Some motherboard manufacturers offer programs that allow you to OC in Windows, but often, the changes are only temporary. Take little steps at a time so you do not burn something up right off the bat.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon