Sign in to follow this  
gigemaggs99

private pilot checkride

Before I throw my joystick through my monitor can someone please help me?I have tried this solo checkride for my private pilot lic about 10 times. Each time I fail, this lady is annoying!One time I will fail b/c I "roll out" too soon. I don't roll out until it tells me to level off at 2000' and maintain 100 mph. If I take too long to roll out it tells me I'm too high and it fails me b/c my altitude was too high. If I roll out too fast it tells me I rolled out too fast. If I roll out too soon it tells me I'm not high enough. Sometimes I will get lucky and get past this part. Then it wants me to do a 360 turn to the left. I do this and I cannot maintain either the altitude or the airspeed. I can do 1 but not both. It seems like when I level off at 2000' it wants me to maintain 100mph. But It tells me to make my 1st 90' left hand turn really fast after getting to 2000'. How do you maintain 100mph and 2000' so fast? It seemed like when I did the training flights you leveled off, then adjusted RPMs then adjust trim accordingly. But in the training flights you had more than 10seconds to do all of this. If I don't start my 1st left hand turn soon enough she fails me for not banking my wings enough. I try and bank my wings but then I either lose alt or gain too much speed. Is there a way to get more time between tasks?The farthest I've made it after trying over and over again is I make it to the steep 360degree turn. I can't keep my altitude and/or speed on this one either. It's frustrating. My altitude stays between 1990 and 2100, but this isn't close enough I guess. My speed stays inbetween 90 and 110 mph. Each time I finish the steep turn she tells me she's failing me because: my speed was too fast or too slow, or my altitude was too high or too low. mad.gifIt doesn't seem like it should be so damn sensitive. I've tried my joystick sensitivity settings all the way up and on defualt I can't seem to do it either way. mad.gifAnother annoying thing is sometimes when I take off, the plane will slightly turn to the right, it doesn't always do this so I don't know why it's not 100% of the time. The problem is she keep telling me to turn left to get back on the correct heading. Why does it fly to the right by itself, only some of the time? Man this is annoying! It should be this hard! mad.gif

first off, i wouldtn put too much effort into those lessons, they are brutal. All i can really say i guess is to keep practicing, i once passed the private checkride then gave up on the lessons. the are not well made up at all.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Go and do the real thing!!! In one of my check rides I had to recover from a spin within 5deg of the original heading!!!try that it's interesting.Vololiberista

Check out this topic from a long ago time . . . back when the AVSIM forums were simpler, and the posts plentiful. :( And the format . . . was good.<< http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...ating+checkride >>
Thank you for the link. After reading over it I see I'm not the only one that has issues with this part of the simulator. It seems to be way too touchy. I agree with the others. I'm going to continue reading the lessons and "trying" them so I can learn as much as possible but I'm not going to waste my time on the certification part. I find it crazy that I can do the climbs, take-offs, steep turns, etc with Rod and each time he says, "excellent" then when I do the checkride, and I do them the exact same way I FAIL. Silly is all it is.After getting more annoyed with it last night...my wife asked if I have to pass that part to move onto the next. I thank the lord that you do not (it does bother me that I can't seem to pass them though). I'm just moving onward and upward.Happy Flying! :(

Thank you for the link. After reading over it I see I'm not the only one that has issues with this part of the simulator. It seems to be way too touchy. I agree with the others. I'm going to continue reading the lessons and "trying" them so I can learn as much as possible but I'm not going to waste my time on the certification part. I find it crazy that I can do the climbs, take-offs, steep turns, etc with Rod and each time he says, "excellent" then when I do the checkride, and I do them the exact same way I FAIL. Silly is all it is.After getting more annoyed with it last night...my wife asked if I have to pass that part to move onto the next. I thank the lord that you do not (it does bother me that I can't seem to pass them though). I'm just moving onward and upward.Happy Flying! :(
I gave up on it back then and never went back, although I may take a shot or two at it now. Don't get obsessed over it -- I know exactly the frustration you are feeling -- and just move on before it puts you off on this whole great hobby. I did, and I've never regretted it.

I gave up on it back then and never went back, although I may take a shot or two at it now. Don't get obsessed over it -- I know exactly the frustration you are feeling -- and just move on before it puts you off on this whole great hobby. I did, and I've never regretted it.
Thank you. Sounds like a fine idea!

Go and do the real thing!!! In one of my check rides I had to recover from a spin within 5deg of the original heading!!!try that it's interesting.Vololiberista
Good thing we don't have to do spins in the U.S. Of course I still had to come back and finish one manuever that the examiner gave me several chances to get right (emergency landings). I hope you didn't have a big lunch before the check ride.

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Good thing we don't have to do spins in the U.S. Of course I still had to come back and finish one manuever that the examiner gave me several chances to get right (emergency landings). I hope you didn't have a big lunch before the check ride.
Nowadays the UK requires incipient spin training. But there's nothing like the real thing to concentrate the mind!!! I didn't have a big lunch, But i did have a good breakfast. As for emergency landings in the UK if you don't get it right first time it's a fail!!!Here's an extract from CAP 393 the UK Air Navigation order:-Failing exams117. A person who, on the last occasion when he was examined, assessed or tested for thepurposes of this Part, failed that examination, assessment or test shall not be entitled toact in the capacity for which that examination, assessment or test would have qualifiedhim had he passed it.Vololiberista