Sign in to follow this  
colfmedion

FSX in Win 7

Hi,From what I can see this topic has been discussed before but rather old now hence this new topic.Have Win 7 and XP as dual boot with FSX and FS9 installed under both and each on separate partitions.I was using NVIDIA 88OOGS and used to get average of 12 FPS on both around New York but with a lot of jerking. Over the months I have tried many variations etc, but no improvement. I recently upgraded GPU to ATI Radeon 5850 HD. Have achieved an average of around 20 FPS around New York with no jerking and with everything maxed out under XP. Very pleased. However, under Win 7 FPS has dropped to around 4 to 5 FPS. I have tried all the settings from minimum to maximum in every permutation I can think of but to no avail. Everything is up to date (latest driver for Radeon 9.12).System specs are as follows:Asus P5N-DnVidia nForce 750i SLI SPPIntel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2333MHZ4096 MB (2 X 2048 DDR2-SDRAM Corsair Dominator)ATI Radeon HD 5850Samsumg 1 TB HDSamsung 500 GB HD1920 x 1200 Fujitsu Monitor900W PSU.Any Comments would be appreciatedThankscolfmedion

Guest jasonaerts

First clear all weather to see how things run, ive heard things about ATI card having issues with clouds.After testing that, i strongly suggest getting your CPU up to at least 3ghz, FSX seems to have major issues with any processor running under 2.6ghz.Let us know how that goes

Guest marquisor
First clear all weather to see how things run, ive heard things about ATI card having issues with clouds.After testing that, i strongly suggest getting your CPU up to at least 3ghz, FSX seems to have major issues with any processor running under 2.6ghz.Let us know how that goes
yes, fsx is VERY CPU INTENSIVE! your gfx card is way too fast to be in any issue with fsx. it's good enough. crank it up to FSAA and Anisotropic filtering after optimizing your fps issue!if you run FSX in a maximized window, go to taskmanager or whatever tool and check CPU usage %. and this could answer why it's slow. a good benchmark is the introduction flight, set your gfx settings and try this benchmark ever and ever. and i recommend framerate limiting to 30FPS.cpu usage: it's not always 100% or nearby, because some threads can't be split to 4 cores, but you'll get a feeling for it.

Tks for responses.I have tried all the suggestions and many besides and they make no difference whatsoever. FPS is still around 4 to 6 (7 if I am lucky) over New York and London. I must remember that under XP 32 BIT which I have installed as a dual boot, I am getting 20 to 30 in same areas. Nevertheless, I am beginning to suspect my CPU (INTEL Q8200 Quad Core) is causing a bottleneck. Despite all attempts to overclock I have failed. The boot up screen shows increases from stock of 2.33 to 3.15 but these increases are not reflected in various system info utilities. i.e CPU-Z shows stock speed of 2.33. I have read previously that the Q8200 cannot be overclocked. I have tried overclocking via the Bios and using software utilities but all with the same result. There is clearly a lot of confusion throughout the net on the merits of Win 7 64 bit and FSX but of course the equipment rules.In light of the fact that everything is great under Win XP 32 Bit, at some point soon I am going to uninstall Win 7 64 bit and install XP 32 bit and see what the outcome is regarding FSX. It will be interesting at the very least. I will post the result but bear with me.colfmedionRe Previous,Sorry, I meant to say I would install WIN 7 32 Bit and try FSX.colfmedion

Guest marquisor
Tks for responses.I have tried all the suggestions and many besides and they make no difference whatsoever. FPS is still around 4 to 6 (7 if I am lucky) over New York and London. I must remember that under XP 32 BIT which I have installed as a dual boot, I am getting 20 to 30 in same areas. Nevertheless, I am beginning to suspect my CPU (INTEL Q8200 Quad Core) is causing a bottleneck. Despite all attempts to overclock I have failed. The boot up screen shows increases from stock of 2.33 to 3.15 but these increases are not reflected in various system info utilities. i.e CPU-Z shows stock speed of 2.33. I have read previously that the Q8200 cannot be overclocked. I have tried overclocking via the Bios and using software utilities but all with the same result. There is clearly a lot of confusion throughout the net on the merits of Win 7 64 bit and FSX but of course the equipment rules.In light of the fact that everything is great under Win XP 32 Bit, at some point soon I am going to uninstall Win 7 64 bit and install XP 32 bit and see what the outcome is regarding FSX. It will be interesting at the very least. I will post the result but bear with me.colfmedionRe Previous,Sorry, I meant to say I would install WIN 7 32 Bit and try FSX.colfmedion
before giving up, doublecheck mainboard drivers, gfx drivers (made a huge difference for me upgrading from a 6 months old version) and if speedstep or similar powersaving features turned on? that are OS features, so XP might not use them. many mainboards come with windows featured oc tools.also check CPU FAN / HEAT if it gets too hot even at bootup, it'll have not the 100% performance. let the case open, run with normal usage for 30 minutes and if you can touch the heatsink with bare hands the CPU doesn't get too hot.with all settings on medium you should get at least 15fps even in scneries you described. oh and be sure having SP1 and SP2 installed for FSX, they really speed up multithreading. set gfx board settings all to application controlled after installing new gfx driver. turn on catalyst A.I. and set win7 energy settings to high performance.

I am certainly not giving in yet. I am just interested to see what difference if any, Win 7 32 bit over Win 7 64 bit makes. As far as I can tell, and I have checked so many times I forget, everything is up to date.Whilst running FSX in Win 7 and after about 1 hour, CPU Core temps average around 60c Max, Radeon Temp gets no higher than 65c whilst activity gets to around 47%. Frame rates do not get above 7 and drop to 2 occasionally.Anyway, it's Sunday morning, lots of snow outside, very cold, no football on tele til this afternoon so to hell with it. Here goes!!

Guest firehawk44
nVidia nForce 750i SLI SPPIntel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2333MHZ4096 MB (2 X 2048 DDR2-SDRAM Corsair Dominator)ATI Radeon HD 5850Any Comments would be appreciatedThankscolfmedion
:( I'm surprised you're able to get any video at all placing an ATI/AMD video card on a NVIDIA MB with an Intel CPU!! I read somewhere that that is not a good combo when building a system. I'll post link to article if I can ever find it again. Also make sure you have latest nForce drivers for Win7. Best regards,Jim

Hi,Well, I have just finished reloading (from a drive image) of Win 7 64 bit. I loaded Win 7 32 bit to see what FSX was like. There was nothing else on the Win 7 installation so FSX had every chance but I'm afraid it was rubbish. Frame rates were exactly the same under all the same circumstances as FSX under Win 7 64 bit.I take the point about possible non-compatability with ATI and Intel but why then does FSX run so well on the same PC but under Win XP?For the time being I will just stick with XP to run FSX and Win 7 64 bit for everything else - unless of course someone comes up with something else worth trying.Thanks for all comments.colfmedion

Hi,Well, I have just finished reloading (from a drive image) of Win 7 64 bit. I loaded Win 7 32 bit to see what FSX was like. There was nothing else on the Win 7 installation so FSX had every chance but I'm afraid it was rubbish. Frame rates were exactly the same under all the same circumstances as FSX under Win 7 64 bit.I take the point about possible non-compatability with ATI and Intel but why then does FSX run so well on the same PC but under Win XP?For the time being I will just stick with XP to run FSX and Win 7 64 bit for everything else - unless of course someone comes up with something else worth trying.Thanks for all comments.colfmedion
Hi Colfmedion,I'm not sure if this is going to help you out in your case, but check your energy savings settings in W7. I was having fluctuating frame rates using FS9 on W7 64 bits and couldn't figure out why. Eventually I tried the high performance scheme in the energy savings settings and that did the trick for me.RegardsDave TchangAntwerp, Belgium

Hi DaveWell, who would have thought something so simple could have made a difference. Not much mind but a difference nevertheless. Frame rates have increased by about 3 which doesn't sound much but in FSX terms it is almost one giant step for mankind!!! I'm not sure what changing the energy savings settings to high performance actually does but it suggests to me that more power is made available to the system. Perhaps some tech wizard can answer this. Is it possible to enhance this further??Thanks for suggestion and any further suggestions would be appreciated.I have been toying with upgrading CPU and MOBO but to be honest upgrading is all I have done for the past couple of years at great expense, to try and get the best out of FSX. It seems as if I am just chasing my tail so I will stick with what I have got and wring the neck out of it where possible.Incidentally, I did a complete new install of FSX under Win 7 64 bit with no increase in Frame Rates whatsoever.All very strange.colmedion

Guest marquisor
Hi DaveWell, who would have thought something so simple could have made a difference. Not much mind but a difference nevertheless. Frame rates have increased by about 3 which doesn't sound much but in FSX terms it is almost one giant step for mankind!!! I'm not sure what changing the energy savings settings to high performance actually does but it suggests to me that more power is made available to the system. Perhaps some tech wizard can answer this. Is it possible to enhance this further??Thanks for suggestion and any further suggestions would be appreciated.I have been toying with upgrading CPU and MOBO but to be honest upgrading is all I have done for the past couple of years at great expense, to try and get the best out of FSX. It seems as if I am just chasing my tail so I will stick with what I have got and wring the neck out of it where possible.Incidentally, I did a complete new install of FSX under Win 7 64 bit with no increase in Frame Rates whatsoever.All very strange.colmedion
told you before about the energy savings issue and high/max performance mode.well, whatever...if you do a fresh install of win7 give it a shot and do NOT install anything, NO DRIVERS, NO SOFTWARE, NO MOTHERBOARD stuff coming on DVD/CD/internet, except ATI gfx board.then install fsx AND both Servicepacks, set everything to mediumhigh, frame limit 30 and we'll see.regardspatrick