Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

David Maltby's BAC1-11

Hi. This is a fine a/c and great panel. No doubt about that. But I have a couple of issues. Can anyone familiar with this plane please advise?It basically seems very underpowered during climb. Unless I climb at around 1000'/min (very shallow) the speed drops off even at full throttle (I have the Top Temp on to avoid engine shutdown). Is that normal? No dount I am ruiming the nicely set flight dynamics, but I have increased the jet engine thrust_scalar to 1.20, but I don't see a huge difference. Any comments?One other thing, just a question. If I start my take-off run with the Top Temp switches on, would I normally switch them off later? When? At cruise altitude or before that?Thanks,Martin

Hi. This is a fine a/c and great panel. No doubt about that. But I have a couple of issues. Can anyone familiar with this plane please advise?It basically seems very underpowered during climb. Unless I climb at around 1000'/min (very shallow) the speed drops off even at full throttle (I have the Top Temp on to avoid engine shutdown). Is that normal? No dount I am ruiming the nicely set flight dynamics, but I have increased the jet engine thrust_scalar to 1.20, but I don't see a huge difference. Any comments?One other thing, just a question. If I start my take-off run with the Top Temp switches on, would I normally switch them off later? When? At cruise altitude or before that?Thanks,Martin
Does the 1-11 require tail trim as does the VC10? If so you must bleed it off as you accelerate after unstick. Otherwise it's a major drag issue.Vololiberista

Hi I have quite a few hours in the Maltby 1-11`s and find that the climb rate for the 1-11 200 and 500 (which tend to be the variants I fly) are not too bad. Full of fuel I could get a comfortable 1900fpm at low altitude once the a/c is cleaned up . Climb rate with the flaps set to the takeoff position is not great - it does take a while to accelerate before retraction. The largest plane I`ve flown IRL is the mighty `172 so I can`t say with any authority but I actually like the fact that you have to concentrate on energy management when flying these old birds. Trim is certainly going to be a factor, the checklist recommends 3 degrees of nose-up for takeoff. Another thing to check would be the spoilers - I have my saitek quadrants configured to use one axis for spoiler when flying 2-engine jets and I had a problem (when first setting up fsuipc) where it was holding the spoilers slightly up when the lever was in the retracted position. On the 1-11 panel there is an amber warning light just below the glareshield near the captain`s airspeed / Attitude indicators. This illuminates when the spoilers are deployed. Hope you can work it out. If you want a real slow climber try the HS-121 Trident by the same designer - nicknamed the 'ground gripper' for good reason! CheersJames