Sign in to follow this  
bryandc

Same Problem with Dead Cockpit

I have been plagued with this problem repeatedly. I have gone so far as to strip FSX from my computer and reinstall it. This is very painful because I literally have hundreds of aircraft from all different flight sim suppliers. But I so love the PMDG models that I am driven to make them work. I have every PMDG model published for both FS9 and FSX. The FS9 models have no problems at all.As for FSX grrr...I reinstalled FSX (separate computers; no conflicts there) on 1/4/10 and have only installed PMDG 747, MD11, and the J41.The 747 worked fine the first time and a second time. As soon as I installed the MD11 the problems began. This is the same symptom that happened on previous occasions. When the 747 is the selected aircraft the PMDG database which loads immediately after aircraft selection does not load. I know of no way to force it to load. That seems to be the root-cause of this situation. Although all engines are running, all flight control surfaces work, all engine controls work, and the aircraft is totally flyable the cockpit is dead. Not one switch, EFIS panel, gauge, etc. will work. To fly the aircraft from the exterior works great and can be flown internationally if one knows how to with the joystick/yoke controls. The only way to gauge altitude and airspeed is to view the FSX map and read it from there. It is easier to fly an aircraft that works.So far the MD11 PMDG database does load on aircraft selection. Eventually it too will stop loading (based on previous experiences).The J41 is an extrodinarly beautiful aircrraft and it has no problems at all.My frustration with this issue is so high that I am ready to abandon the 747 (and maybe the MD11) as not being able to exist in the FSX world at the same time.I run FSX on an HP Blackbird, quad core with 6GB ram. The computer is not the problem.I came to the forums seeking an answer but I see that the answer was to talk to support. My license was purchased in 12/2007. Way out of any warranty. i will forward this to support in the hope that there is a solution. I have been simming since 1984 so this is not a 'newbie' issue. This is a PMDG software issue and it is driving me crazy.I am adding it here so that anyone else having this issue can see a documentation of the situation. In compliance with the forum rule:Full name: Bryan D. Craven

The navdata may only load the first time you load a pmdg, I've not seen the data loading box on second pmdg loads or restarts. I always restart FSX when starting a new session due to other issues.If the MD11 is working okay, remove and reinstall the 747. I had to do that once, but never again and never figured out why.I have all three aircraft co-existing together in FSX, and no problems since that one 747 reinstall. But, as I mentioned, I restart FSX for each session.

Dan Downs KCRP

The navdata may only load the first time you load a pmdg, I've not seen the data loading box on second pmdg loads or restarts. I always restart FSX when starting a new session due to other issues.If the MD11 is working okay, remove and reinstall the 747. I had to do that once, but never again and never figured out why.I have all three aircraft co-existing together in FSX, and no problems since that one 747 reinstall. But, as I mentioned, I restart FSX for each session.
The NAVDATA reloads for each start of the MD11. It also does it in the FS9 environment. As for the restart I totally agree. PMDG planes can not be selected mid-flight or on a flight reset.As for the remove reinstall of 747. Umm at least 25 times in the past 6 months. same issue.I sent my long post to PMDG. Let's see if they respond.Thanks for your response. it's always good to see what others have encountered and how they fixed a situation.I truely do look for root-cause before I go 'outside'. I've written and debugged a lot of code in my life. I try to find a fix before i express my utter frustration.