Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Need Your Help and Advice

Hi Guys,Im currently using a Dell XPS 710 (2.66ghz, Duo Core, 850 watt power supply) ................................ and now I'm thinking of Upgrading to run FSX.Will it be possible for me to KEEP my XPS 710 Tower and change my Motherboard to a (ASUS Rampage II Extreme) and my CPU to a (Intel CPU Core i7 975 3.33GHz). I know I'll have to change my Ram and possibly my Graphic card (currently a Nvidia 8800 GTX 750mb) but I was wondering if I could keep all my Drives: (SATA, DVD, CD) etc, my Tower, Power supply etc ................ and Build a NEW rig using my exsisting TOWER.Looking at the overall COST it just appears to be quite alot cheaper rebuilding my existing rig as opposed to upgrading to a pre-built NEW rig.Thanks for HELP and guidance any info much appreciated.John

Dell uses a proprietary motherboard mount layout. You cannot put an aftermarket motherboard into a Dell chassis.

John, if i were you, i would check on Dell your Motherboard layout and compare with the Asus you want, you will then see if it is feasable;Some were saying the same "not possible, proprietary" etc for an HP and i can state for a fact that it is possible, Dell or HP are not manufacturing there own MB anymore; 3-4 years ago, my daughter's Dell MB broke along with the Power Supply after a storm ( she was using it and the power bar turned out defective) and i replaced the MB with an micro-ATX Asus and had no problem with install...Hope it helpsAlain from Montreal

As a former Dell Field Service Technician, I can assure you that your Dell chassis has a proprietary motherboard mounting system. The screw hole layout is arranged in such a fashion that it does not support standard ATX motherboards. Also, the holes through which the CPU heatsink is attached to the motherboard are arranged differently from the standard Socket T (LGA 775) layout. You may be able to fit an mATX board, but most enthusiasts prefer full size ATX boards, and mobo makers design their products with this in mind. IOW: good luck finding a worthwhile mATX board.

I guess i was just lucky then...speaking of Micro-Atx quality boards there is Asus rampage II Gene and EVGA makes one also, these are for the Intel I7 ....and a good aftermarket cooler for the cpu for about $40 is a very good investment when playing FSX anyway...Alain from Montreal

Right, so one board... :( As for your previous luck, how many screws did you use to affix the board to the motherboard tray? I would imagine it would be less than there were holes for. So, you *can* mount an mATX board, but you really shouldn't as it will either be loose, or have undo strain placed upon it due to uneven screw placement.

IF you take the time to look down your Throne, your Majesty, you would read TWO different manufacturers for M-ATX X58 boards, and that are the only 2 i took the time to research...It is funny that everytime someone write a reply you do not like or contradict slightly your UNIQUE expertise, these poster(s) either are: 1: not knowing what they are talking about2: are not worthy of your time because more often than not, your answers are not even detail enough to offer a satisfactory helpSo, why are you here ? you are not here trying to exchange ideas but ramming your enormous experience into our throats :( Hope at least you get a kick out of it :( Alain from Montreal

John, i apologize for my last post, this was not helpfull to your problem...hope someone else will chime in with more usefull recommandation.Alain from Montreal

Thanks Guys, Alain, TechguyI guess its back to the drawing board,.......... Ill probably have a go at building a NEW rig from scratch so Ill have to do alot of research in these Forums and see what hardware others have chosen.As Ive never built my own PC before is there any advice you can give regarding chosing a TOWER chassis. (any sites you can recommend or things the Tower must have onboard, for either compatability or future expansion)Many thanks for your Invaluable Help and taking the time to read and answer our posts.RegardsJohn.P.S. Happy New Year

John, a recommendation for a specific chassis will depend upon how much of your budget you're willing to appropriate to the chassis. For high-end components I usually recommend full size towers. If money is no object and you want the best, I'd recommend Corsair's Obsidian 800D chassis, or Silverstone's Temjin line (7 if you can find one, 10 if not). Otherwise we'll need a budget.

Guest FlyingBits
Hi Guys,Im currently using a Dell XPS 710 (2.66ghz, Duo Core, 850 watt power supply) ................................ and now I'm thinking of Upgrading to run FSX.Will it be possible for me to KEEP my XPS 710 Tower and change my Motherboard to a (ASUS Rampage II Extreme) and my CPU to a (Intel CPU Core i7 975 3.33GHz). I know I'll have to change my Ram and possibly my Graphic card (currently a Nvidia 8800 GTX 750mb) but I was wondering if I could keep all my Drives: (SATA, DVD, CD) etc, my Tower, Power supply etc ................ and Build a NEW rig using my exsisting TOWER.Looking at the overall COST it just appears to be quite alot cheaper rebuilding my existing rig as opposed to upgrading to a pre-built NEW rig.Thanks for HELP and guidance any info much appreciated.John
You can get a very nice case in the Antec Threehundred and find it for less than $50 at many online stores. However check out the X58M, this is one great M-ATX I7 board from MSI that may fit your bill, full review here:http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3568&p=1

Hi GuysHaving read many post regarding FSX, I now have a better understanding of whats required. I'll now have to look at the sums and see what I can afford, bye the way BOTH cases look very nice ............ although a little pricey. I just need a little advice/guidance on a couple of things.A) When they refer to setting up FSX on a dedicated HD (300gb for example) do they mean just FSX, ..................or FSX + ALL the Addons: (Aircraft, Photo Scenery, Airports, RC4 UT2 etc) ?:( Idealy I like to be able to fly FSX using Generation X Photo scenery, LVD 767/PMDG, RC4, UT2 and be able to Fly into Heathrow. To have half of chance of this, would I be better spending the money on: 1) a faster/bigger Graphic Card or 2) a faster processor?C) Would I be better of waiting a month or two till i8 is in the market place ?Many Thanks in AdvanceRegards Johnp.s. I guess when I wrote the last reply I forgot to post/send it...................................................... Doh!

The next chip from Intel is still an i7, the 980x 6 core/12 thread beast. This chip will run at least $1000. If you want performance > current i7 chips at a reasonable price, you'll need to wait for Intel's true next-gen parts in 2011.

I've been waiting to see how things are shaking out hardware-wise for a while now too. I'm still on the fence about my processor and mobo (I was leaning towards a ASUSP7P55D and Core-i7 860, but now I'm not too sure about that), but case-wise you can't go wrong with the Antec 300, especially for $50.00. I almost went with that but finally settled on a LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58 case, which I really like for 25 bucks more.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811112237It is great case, and while inexpensive, it is not cheap. I haven't yet built the rig, but I've looked it over carefully and like the way it is arranged, especially for cable mgt.Good luck,Stephen