Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Need Your Help and Advice

Hi Guys,Ok ................................ but will this 980x 6 core/12 thread beast be any good for FSX ?Will it be worth waiting for or should I go ahead and build a Rig Now ?Hi Stephen I took a peek at that Lancool case it looks pretty good for the Money.RegardsJohn

Hi John,I have the same question on the 6 core beast. I'm asking similar questions in my kind of rambling corei1-661 thread. I think a 6 core machine in a 3 or 4 hundred dollar case is overkill. If you have the money, I'm sure it might be *slightly* better (the processor, not the case) so the folks who can, I think that's fine. But there is some real value to be had right now in the 1156's - yes, it seems to be more of a dead ended upgrade path, but if you aren't planning on spending more money in the next year or so, boy, it's hard to walk away from a $199.00 4.5 GHz processor (on air). (With a mobo maybe $100 cheaper than an x58, anc cheaper memory too.) However, if you are planning on stuffing multiple graphics cards in there (again, for multiple monitors, sure but as we have all heard now for years from Phil Taylor and other real experts, "it's the cpu, not the graphics card that is the weakest link.") then x58 sure seems much better.Stephen

Hi Guys,Ok ................................ but will this 980x 6 core/12 thread beast be any good for FSX ?Will it be worth waiting for or should I go ahead and build a Rig Now ?
It is unlikely to be better for FSX than the current i975x which runs at the same clockspeed. The i980x does have a 50% larger L3 cache which could make it slightly faster, but I doubt it as once you get to about 6-8MB L3 on a modern processor you really don't need more unless you're running a ton of threads. If you're itching to build now, go ahead. Know that NV's next high-end graphics card and Intel's next high-end CPU are just around the corner though...

It is unlikely to be better for FSX than the current i975x which runs at the same clockspeed. The i980x does have a 50% larger L3 cache which could make it slightly faster, but I doubt it as once you get to about 6-8MB L3 on a modern processor you really don't need more unless you're running a ton of threads. If you're itching to build now, go ahead. Know that NV's next high-end graphics card and Intel's next high-end CPU are just around the corner though...
Yeh! ............. but were talking well into next year, are'nt we ? John

Yeh! ............. but were talking well into next year, are'nt we ? John
It's 2010 right now, and we're talking by March for both products.

Thanks Guys, Alain, TechguyI guess its back to the drawing board,.......... Ill probably have a go at building a NEW rig from scratch so Ill have to do alot of research in these Forums and see what hardware others have chosen.As Ive never built my own PC before is there any advice you can give regarding chosing a TOWER chassis. (any sites you can recommend or things the Tower must have onboard, for either compatability or future expansion)Many thanks for your Invaluable Help and taking the time to read and answer our posts.RegardsJohn.P.S. Happy New Year
Heya John,Listen, I bought a top of the line full tower Cosmos S from Coolermaster for several reasons. 1. Its got excellent cooling 2. It allows me to install the largest Graphics card available and largest cpu cooling fans available. 3. I can access the "guts" much more easily whenever I make an new install.This is no longer manufactured and it did have a few problems with it; the biggest problem being that the side panels were a bit difficult to latch properly. This was to a replacement for my much beloved but now battered Lain Li (plus It needed better cooling fans for more modern equipment and it would not accept any fan larger that 80 CM). I still consider the Lain Li the best crafted of all chassis and since it is made of aluminum, it is recyclable, but that will be a long time in the future. I have a Antec 193 in mind because of the layout of the hard drives accessibility, fan layout and a different "chamber" for the power supply that helps keep the interior cooler. Plus it has a hole cutout for that "oh so needed" CPU fan upgrade for the Overeclockiing of the CPU. But as mentioned before, we need a budget.If you need advise, browse around the Anandatech, Tom's Hardware, Hardocp, and silentpcreview.com sites. Good luck and always ready to lend a hand. OH, and if you really want to have fun, check out water cooling.