Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Interesting EyeFinity review with FSX coverage

Full review starts here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/...formance_reviewFSX portion here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/...rmance_review/6net-net:EyeFinity is enough to cause FSX to, finally, have GPU-limited features.5970 shows some advantage in 5760x1200 modeHardOCP feels EyeFinity is way cool.

Hi Phil- enjoyed your review- nice to have a professional endorsement of multiple views in Flight Simulator!Quote-"When you are inside the cockpit with Eyefinity you literally have your left and right windows on your screen, so you can see around you in one shot. It seriously gives a chilling vibe that you are there, in the plane, flying. It adds realism like you wouldn

Hi Phil- enjoyed your review- nice to have a professional endorsement of multiple views in Flight Simulator!
to be clearer, its HardOCP's review, I just believed it was of interest to the community since they included an FSX benchmark of the technology and found that at this resolution you can indeed become GPU-bottlenecked. finding that framerates and smoothness are better on the 5970 at 5760x1200 is certainly a benefit for anyone that uses FSX, HD5970, and EyeFinity together.but thanks for your thanks in any case :-).

Hi Phil- enjoyed your review- nice to have a professional endorsement of multiple views in Flight Simulator!Quote-"When you are inside the cockpit with Eyefinity you literally have your left and right windows on your screen, so you can see around you in one shot. It seriously gives a chilling vibe that you are there, in the plane, flying. It adds realism like you wouldn

RE Thomason Jr.

What I find interesting, is out of all the apps reviewed, which include Crysis, GTA4, Need for Speed, Dirt 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, FSX is the second best performing game, only Left for Dead 2 is better perfoming. Hmm, how many want the next FS to be developed on the Crysis engine now???

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Phil,It's good to see you back in the forum. Thanks for the interesting read.Stephen
+1 Definitely great to hear from you! Thanks for the HU. Been on the lookout for an FSX specific review of this technology since the day it was announced. Looks amazing!BTW: I noticed the link your Sig is not working. Any news there also?

BTW: I noticed the link your Sig is not working. Any news there also?
I took my blog down due to all the churn and leaks over LRB, I didnt want to be in a position where any one could point a finger at my postings. Small price to pay for being in the midst...and I will restart it once we get things LRB sorted out.

I am planning on running one of these eyefinity setups in the next few months (have to get past my IRS bill first :( ). It will be interesting to see how the 5890 or 5870 Eyefinity Version (2GB memory+6 displayport) will run a 3 monitor setup.

Cheers Phil. Good to here from you!Peter Sydney Australia

Full review starts here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/...formance_reviewFSX portion here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/...rmance_review/6net-net:EyeFinity is enough to cause FSX to, finally, have GPU-limited features.5970 shows some advantage in 5760x1200 modeHardOCP feels EyeFinity is way cool.
I've browsed here but never had anything to post and really just started playing with my flight sim stuff again. I have an eyefinity setup using 5760x1080 (3 23" Dell monitors) driven by a 5850 card. I just ran a couple of test flights with FSX stock with SP1/sp2 applied. While it gives the wide view it just doesn't give the correct field of view. I built my setup for use with iRacing.com, the premier pay car racing service. In iRacing you tell the software the width of your monitors, the bezel width on each side of the monitors the angle of the side monitors and the distance your eyes are from the screen. It then renders each screen independently taking into consideration the space lost due to the bezels. It also gives you a correct field of view (in my case I get around 142 degrees) so that elevations, distances etc look like would as if you were really there. As far as I can tell, neither FSX or the current eyefinity drivers provide this and thus the view is incorrect. From the cockpit it looks like my face is about 6 inches from the instrument panel and objects don't correctly line up across the monitor screens. Perhaps someone else can shed some light but without the proper perspective, it doesn't fly. LIke I said this is only with my short fooling around with it as a proof of concept to see if I wanted to pursue this.

Guest zzmikezz
I took my blog down due to all the churn and leaks over LRB, I didnt want to be in a position where any one could point a finger at my postings. Small price to pay for being in the midst...and I will restart it once we get things LRB sorted out.
And here I thought you were heavily into Mafia Wars because you had time on your hands. :) Don't you ever sleep?