Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Interesting EyeFinity review with FSX coverage

And here I thought you were heavily into Mafia Wars because you had time on your hands. :) Don't you ever sleep?
Agreed, although on my part I thought it would be GTA 4 or something like ArmA 2.

I've browsed here but never had anything to post and really just started playing with my flight sim stuff again. I have an eyefinity setup using 5760x1080 (3 23" Dell monitors) driven by a 5850 card. I just ran a couple of test flights with FSX stock with SP1/sp2 applied. While it gives the wide view it just doesn't give the correct field of view. I built my setup for use with iRacing.com, the premier pay car racing service. In iRacing you tell the software the width of your monitors, the bezel width on each side of the monitors the angle of the side monitors and the distance your eyes are from the screen. It then renders each screen independently taking into consideration the space lost due to the bezels. It also gives you a correct field of view (in my case I get around 142 degrees) so that elevations, distances etc look like would as if you were really there. As far as I can tell, neither FSX or the current eyefinity drivers provide this and thus the view is incorrect. From the cockpit it looks like my face is about 6 inches from the instrument panel and objects don't correctly line up across the monitor screens. Perhaps someone else can shed some light but without the proper perspective, it doesn't fly. LIke I said this is only with my short fooling around with it as a proof of concept to see if I wanted to pursue this.
Here is a link to a video to show what I was talking about with the proper bezel management and perspective in iRacing. Everything lines up perfectly:
Jeff

I've browsed here but never had anything to post and really just started playing with my flight sim stuff again. I have an eyefinity setup using 5760x1080 (3 23" Dell monitors) driven by a 5850 card. I just ran a couple of test flights with FSX stock with SP1/sp2 applied. While it gives the wide view it just doesn't give the correct field of view. I built my setup for use with iRacing.com, the premier pay car racing service. In iRacing you tell the software the width of your monitors, the bezel width on each side of the monitors the angle of the side monitors and the distance your eyes are from the screen. It then renders each screen independently taking into consideration the space lost due to the bezels. It also gives you a correct field of view (in my case I get around 142 degrees) so that elevations, distances etc look like would as if you were really there. As far as I can tell, neither FSX or the current eyefinity drivers provide this and thus the view is incorrect. From the cockpit it looks like my face is about 6 inches from the instrument panel and objects don't correctly line up across the monitor screens. Perhaps someone else can shed some light but without the proper perspective, it doesn't fly. LIke I said this is only with my short fooling around with it as a proof of concept to see if I wanted to pursue this.
I am purely guessing with this response based on my research on multi-monitors (before I spend big bucks on the set up), but I think you need to play with the zoom and eyepoint commands.http://www.mutleyshangar.com/downloads/FSX...%20Pamphlet.pdfLook at the "Views" section.

A google search suggests that ATI may release a Bezel Management update for EyeFinity in 1stQ 2010. Also a comment that the Bezel Mgmt from the Digital TH2GO may work with Eyefinity- that is if one already has acquired TH2GO!I wonder if the dual video card method of bezel shift might also work?- ie using Panel Cfg settings to shift the view in FS9, or Camera settings in FSX.I can confirm the FS9/ PCfg method is simple and precise- accurate up to 100th of a degree of arc. Applied carefully, three separate views become one! I have seen the FSX Camera adjustment method working but have no specific info.Alex Reid