Sign in to follow this  
mholtebeck

Night time troubles with FSX

Ok, I'm sure they may be a simple cure for this, but I've tried my settings and can't seem to find what the solution is.With my FSX, I get no textures of buildings at night. For Example, at SFO, I get AI planes standing at gates with Jetways, but no terminal. This happens at all airports (even stock airports- which haven't been modified).Even changing my setttings to max on everything hasn't changed it.The case that I'm looking at right now. My Posky 777-200 with Air New Zealand livery is a ghost ship standing at row of jetways connecting to nothing.I change the time, and I've got my jet sitting at terminal, and everything is perfect.What do I need to do to fix this?

Ok, I'm sure they may be a simple cure for this, but I've tried my settings and can't seem to find what the solution is.With my FSX, I get no textures of buildings at night. For Example, at SFO, I get AI planes standing at gates with Jetways, but no terminal. This happens at all airports (even stock airports- which haven't been modified).Even changing my setttings to max on everything hasn't changed it.The case that I'm looking at right now. My Posky 777-200 with Air New Zealand livery is a ghost ship standing at row of jetways connecting to nothing.I change the time, and I've got my jet sitting at terminal, and everything is perfect.What do I need to do to fix this?
Do you get this problem when you boot up FSX and just set it to night time, then load, or is it after a flight from dusk to night?If its the problem is from dusk to night try adding this to your fsx.cfg (If you don't know where this is type, without quotations "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX") then try adding these lines to see if it fixes anything:[bufferpools]Poolsize=500000

It seems to happen whenever I am on nighttime mode. It happens when I load into night time.I'll try the adjustment in my FSX config.

Very Strange that is indeed. One thing that puzzles me though is how you can get the Posky 777 to work in FSX without problems. When I once apon-a-time tried to get it to work it had serious texture problems on my system. Does this happen with other FSX compatible aircraft? Stephen

Do you get this problem when you boot up FSX and just set it to night time, then load, or is it after a flight from dusk to night?If its the problem is from dusk to night try adding this to your fsx.cfg (If you don't know where this is type, without quotations "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX") then try adding these lines to see if it fixes anything:[bufferpools]Poolsize=500000
Changing the poolsize to 500K?? Are you sure you didn't mean 5MB (5000000)?? The "stock" value for the poolsize is 4MB which is 4000000. Decreasing the poolsize will have some adverse affects on texture loading and who knows what else within FSX.

Changing the poolsize to 500K?? Are you sure you didn't mean 5MB (5000000)?? The "stock" value for the poolsize is 4MB which is 4000000. Decreasing the poolsize will have some adverse affects on texture loading and who knows what else within FSX.
Yes, I'm sure, 500 Kilobytes and not megabytes. Reducing bufferpools does not cause adverse affects and actually increases texture loading, and decreases problems. Only when you increase in FSX do you get problems because you are virtually depleting the memory available in your card. When textures want to load, they will load, you do not need to keep "recent" textures in memory anymore, maybe in 05 and 06 when they were developing FSX yes, but not today, and besides the original FSX had a bufferpool of 1MB, which got increased to 4MB after SP1, and if you don't believe me, try it for yourself. I have no doubt that FSX will run fine. :(, only when FSX is set to 0, will you then probably get errors, but I've never tried 0. Check these threads out (please read the full page):http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1693145http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1692080http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271292http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1693456

gman!,XPlane 10 link??You very well could be on to something for Vista and Windows 7. Only time will tell. I remember all those that did not believe me when I found that raising the bufferpools to an extremely high value could help those with sound crackling/high latency problems. I do know one thing, upgrading from Vista X64 to XP X64 has cured the dusk/night, long flight, texture corruption issues that I experienced on Vista X64 when running more demanding addons (such as PMDG, CS, Ariane, etc..). I have no doubt the difference is related in the handling of memory between the differenet OSes.

gman!,XPlane 10 link??You very well could be on to something for Vista and Windows 7. Only time will tell. I remember all those that did not believe me when I found that raising the bufferpools to an extremely high value could help those with sound crackling/high latency problems. I do know one thing, upgrading from Vista X64 to XP X64 has cured the dusk/night, long flight, texture corruption issues that I experienced on Vista X64 when running more demanding addons (such as PMDG, CS, Ariane, etc..). I have no doubt the difference is related in the handling of memory between the differenet OSes.
Exactly, the issue seems Vista and Windows 7 specific. Sorry about the last link, I copied the wrong post URL.

Where exactly should my FSX.cfg file be. I've check my FSX file, and it isn't in the main folder. There is a config. folder, but no CFG file.

Where exactly should my FSX.cfg file be. I've check my FSX file, and it isn't in the main folder. There is a config. folder, but no CFG file.
In Windows Explorer (My Computer, My Documents, etc) in the address bar type, without quotes, "&appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" and you should see a folder containing your FSX.CFG there. After you have found it double click it and open with notepad. Good Luck :(--------EDIT: Made a typo, I'm sorry. When you open My Computer in the address bar, type "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX". You can use this short form in any program :]. The command %appdata% tells Windows Explorer to go to your users Application Data/Roaming folder (i.e. C:\Users\Your User Name\Appdata\Roaming <- you can also enter this too), either way you do not have to enable hidden folders.

The address for your fsx.CFG file is as follows:Local Disk(C:)/End-User/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/fsx.CFGStephen

Ok, I tried that- after finding the FSX.cfg (thanks for the help), but I still have no terminal, or airplane. This has nothing to do with Dusk to Night change. This happens with loading straight at night.If I load a FS9 plane, I get a full texture at night- just no terminals.

Changing the pool size didn't work. Is there any other ideas?On another note, how do I change the default taxi speed in FSX? Once again, I'm running into the difficulty of making FSX the way that I want it. I had FS9 set up perfectly to my needs and wants, but then my hard disk took a left turn and decided to lock up the data in the nether worlds of cyber space (I had no back ups). Ironically it happened shortly after the attack here happened, and I went through a 6 month mourning period, before coming back to Flight Simulator.