Sign in to follow this  
jjeffreys

Which x58 MOBO do you use for your i7?

I am currently building a 1366 i7 gaming unit for FS9/FSX. What MOBO is doing the best at this point, which board do you use? I am planning on staying in the low to mid price range due to the current high prices of everything else. My budget is $1200 to build the system from newegg. The other specs of my system will be:i7 920 (Plan to OC in the 3.8-4.0 range)Antec 900 Two CaseCorsair TX650 PSU6GB Compatible 1600/2000 RAMEVGA 9800 GTX+Noctua NH-D142x 320gb Seagate 7200 rpm (Existing)Windows XP Home / Windows 7 64Thanks for the advice.Jeremy

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Hello Jeremy,I have a Asus Rampage II Gene which is a micro ATX, according to reviews it has the same features than it's bigger brothers ROG (republic of Gamer) boards for about $ 80 less with X-Fi SupremeFX inboard sound card; what you are missing is one extra PCI slot and one PCIe compare to a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and no wireless. Since i built this pc for FSX only, i do not miss those features and i saved some $$.After 3 months, no problem at all to a my I7 920 overclock up to 4.1, Northbridge is a little on the hot side so probably the P6T Deluxe V2 would be better as the heatsink looks bigger, but if you o/c up to 3.8, everything is fine.I still have to figure out how to get my memory stable at over 3.2mhz altough i do not think this is a motherboard issue.EVGA makes a micro atx also (EVGA X58 SLI Micro) that has good reviews, just take time to compare features and available slots for your needs and you'll be fine .Also, do not forget you will need DDR3 memory stick with those !Hope this helpsAlain from Montreal

Thanks Alain,That is exactly the type info I was hoping to gain from this thread. I have read so many reviews on all the different boards my head is spinning. I had originally looked at the Rampage but I was not sure about the size compared to a normal ATX. All the systems I have built previously have all been ATX. As for the NB I am sure I could take the HS off and put some AS5 on it. I will have to look into that. ZZFly actually shows the mATX as $140 cheaper than the ATX version and $80 cheaper than the P6T Delux v2. I also do not think that I will need the extras that are removed from the mATX so that may be the way to go. Thanks again.

________________________________________________________________________________

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Guest FlyingBits
I am currently building a 1366 i7 gaming unit for FS9/FSX. What MOBO is doing the best at this point, which board do you use? I am planning on staying in the low to mid price range due to the current high prices of everything else. My budget is $1200 to build the system from newegg. The other specs of my system will be:i7 920 (Plan to OC in the 3.8-4.0 range)Antec 900 Two CaseCorsair TX650 PSU6GB Compatible 1600/2000 RAMEVGA 9800 GTX+Noctua NH-D142x 320gb Seagate 7200 rpm (Existing)Windows XP Home / Windows 7 64Thanks for the advice.Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,I have the new ASUS P6X58D Premium and just loving it.This is probably the next gen P6T deluxe board, It has the new Sata and USB 3.0, verygood heatsinks for the chipset and very good power management. I have had the board since it came out three weeks ago and it has been flawless. Pricey at $299, but very very good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131614

FlyingBits,I actually had not even looked at that board, thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is obviously a sweet OC board you have a very impressive 4.48 on air. Thanks again,Jeremy

I think a lot of people go with the Asus P6T v2Also, might want to consider a GTX285 instead of that 9800 you have listed for video.I looked at that P6XD58D board and didn't even know USB 3.0 existed. What devices have 3.0 anyway at this time? Hopefully it won't be like firewire - nobody really uses it, they just use USB2.0

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest FlyingBits
I think a lot of people go with the Asus P6T v2Also, might want to consider a GTX285 instead of that 9800 you have listed for video.I looked at that P6XD58D board and didn't even know USB 3.0 existed. What devices have 3.0 anyway at this time? Hopefully it won't be like firewire - nobody really uses it, they just use USB2.0
It also has the new SATA 6 G/ps and is the next step up from the P6T Delux V2. It came out in the first week of December so you will only find reviews in forums on Anand and such, or at Newwegg or where ever you can find it.I was going with Gbyte until I heard about this board. Fits the bill, also have to add its the first X58 board to be qualified for the new six core 32nm chips.....

Dandy but what hardware uses USB 3.0? I'm curious...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest djt01
Not to mention there are only two 6Gb/s SATA ports which use a Marvell controller not the Intel side and right now at this time does nothing to improve performance. A soon to be released PCI-E add-on card from Asus will also give you the USB 3.0 and the 6Gb/s SATA ports.I think it would be better to wait for Intel to update the X58 chipset with its own 6Gb/s SATA ICH and the release of SATA III.

None (yet). I am sure though that upcoming USB external disks will...

Guest FlyingBits
Not to mention there are only two 6Gb/s SATA ports which use a Marvell controller not the Intel side and right now at this time does nothing to improve performance. A soon to be released PCI-E add-on card from Asus will also give you the USB 3.0 and the 6Gb/s SATA ports.I think it would be better to wait for Intel to update the X58 chipset with its own 6Gb/s SATA ICH and the release of SATA III.
All true but its only a matter of driver optimizations not hardware. By the time more hardware is ready that will be all sorted. Already new driver available (12-24).But if you are purchasing a board >now< I would just say this is the board if the slots work for you.As far as what USB 3.0 hardware there is sure,not much. Its new. Thats the whole point, you can only future proof so much.

Well I am still not 100% on my MOBO yet but I am leaning towards the following: 1. MSI X58M LGA (It has great reviews)2. ASUS Rampage II GENE LGA3. MSI X58 Pro-E LGA4. ASUS P6T SE LGAAs for the rest of the system I have changed it slightly to add a 750w vice 650w and I upped the VC to a 260GTX OC Version that reviews show that it is in the same league as the GTX 285 but half the price (I only use this PC for FS9/FSX so this should be fine for now). i7 920 (Plan to OC in the 3.8-4.0 range)Antec 900 Two CaseCorsair TX750 PSU6GB Compatible 1600/2000 RAMGIGABYTE GV-N26SO-896I GeForce GTX 260 896MBNoctua NH-D142x 320gb Seagate 7200 rpm (Existing)Windows XP Home / Windows 7 64Jeremy