Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

FEDEX MLW

I'm having another read through the FEDEX MD11 FCOM and looking at there landing weight restrictions3 For landings at gross weights above 363,500 to 374,500 lbs., a Flaps 50

Rob Prest

I'm having another read through the FEDEX MD11 FCOM and looking at there landing weight restrictions3 For landings at gross weights above 363,500 to 374,500 lbs., a Flaps 50

yup its definately noise. Hey could you look up the MLW with the center gear retracted?
Thanks for the reply, I'm aware that it's a noise issue, I've never seen that kind of weight restriction on any other type so curios as the why the MD11 is different?Maximum Weight (lbs.) with Center Gear Retracted TAXI - START OF TAKEOFF - IN-FLIGHT (LANDING FLAPS) - LANDING - ZERO FUELMD-11 448,000 445,000 403,000 400,000 370,000Anyone know how I can screenshot a page from a document and put it in my posts?CheersRob

Rob Prest

Anyone know how I can screenshot a page from a document and put it in my posts?
I just hit "Print screen" and use Photoshop to crop it. You could also do it with paint.Hit print screenOpen your image program of choicePress CTRL+N for a new image (not needed to do in paint)Press CTRL+V to pasteDraw a box around what you want to save with the marquee toolGo to image>cropSave as jpg, gif, png etc... Gif is a decent format I find for file size being low, therefore making it very web friendly

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest sixfourty

If you use Vista or W7 there's a utility called Snipping Tool that lets you crop your screenshot without using photoshop / paint. Its available at Start->All Programs->Accessories->Snipping tool. Very useful to create a hotkey for it if you take alot of screenshots

I would not have said 1,500 lbs reduction was huge.
Hi Paul,MLW for the MD11F is 481,000 lbs & with APU running it's 373,000 lbs thats a bit more then 1,500 lbs RegardsRob

Rob Prest

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I can't say for sure, as I've never dispatched an MD-11 (and the DC-10-30F's I did dispatch didn't have any such limitation), but... if the manual explicitly states that it's a Stage III thing, then we can make a guess or two.Like all heavy jets, the DC-10's APU is fairly loud, and obviously, Stage III rules are all about cumulative noise exposure and max dB. My guess is that to offset the added APU noise, the engines must be at a lower N1 (or EPR) in order to remain under the dB limit. Once this lower power setting has been established, based upon a known configuration (gear down, flaps 50, for instance), one could determine the maximum gross weight that can be carried. The result is a greatly reduced MLW.I spent a little bit of time working at the Memphis airport, and I don't recall the MD-11's being terribly loud or anything. Certainly nothing like the 727's. Similarly, in all of my time working at Emery, and for all the World Airways and Gemini MD-11's I worked, I never recall thinking that the APU was any louder than other jets. It's hard to imagine that its loud enough to cause certification problems with Stage III.***Off-topic ramble follows***For what it's worth, the loudest APU's I've ever heard were on the Jungle Jets (Emb-145). I used to wear both "yellow squishy's" and "Earmuffs" on the ramp, and it was STILL uncomfortable to stand next to those things. It was ridiculous. And for a bit of trivia, the loudest engines i've ever heard are on the Lockheed Electra. I had to work one on the ramp in Atlanta, and I was out on the #3 engine manning the airstart hose. With three engines turning, standing under the wing was almost unbearable. I grew up on an Air Force base, and I've worked at too many airports to list, so I have an appreciation of loud things. But that Electra took the cake.

Interesting ramble, Nick. What about the renown Cessna fighter known as the tweety bird (T-33)! I grimace when I see one of those taxing my way on the ramp. Worst high pitch I ever heard. Air and Space magazine had a nice article on these recently (fine magazine, highly recommended).

Dan Downs KCRP

Great post nick thanks, I spent most of my childhood living in Airforce bases in Germany,Africa & Oman, lots of good memories:)Paul, I'm not sure so I use Flap 50 when above 363,000lbs Regards

Rob Prest

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Interesting ramble, Nick. What about the renown Cessna fighter known as the tweety bird (T-33)! I grimace when I see one of those taxing my way on the ramp. Worst high pitch I ever heard. Air and Space magazine had a nice article on these recently (fine magazine, highly recommended).
Hey Dan,Not sure about the T-33, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen one of those. Did you mean the T-37?You're right, they're certainly famous for that high pitched scream. But I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one, that Electra at idle was far louder than anything I've heard except for fighters in AB, (and maybe the EA-6B).Incidentally, the last Tweet class just graduated last year, I think it was at Vance. They had a cool class patch to honor the heritage of the jet. I don't have a link handy, but you can search the forum at Baseops.net for a look.

Oops, yeah that T-37. I've been getting numbers jumbled a lot lately. Fighters in AB always reminds me of my stint in Viet Nam working as a communications techie in a big metal building near the end of the runway at Tan Son Nhut and everytime an F-4 would hit AB for takeoff it was like being inside a drum that just got hit with a big drumstick. Boom! Pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure I got this nomenclature correct... the Phantom. Ah! What a monster, my first Thunderbird show was with those big smokey loud fast son of a guns. Wow. Lots of testosterone.

Dan Downs KCRP