Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

FEDEX MLW

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Oops, yeah that T-37. I've been getting numbers jumbled a lot lately. Fighters in AB always reminds me of my stint in Viet Nam working as a communications techie in a big metal building near the end of the runway at Tan Son Nhut and everytime an F-4 would hit AB for takeoff it was like being inside a drum that just got hit with a big drumstick. Boom! Pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure I got this nomenclature correct... the Phantom. Ah! What a monster, my first Thunderbird show was with those big smokey loud fast son of a guns. Wow. Lots of testosterone.
Sorry to the OP for the threadjack!Dan, no worries! Once upon a time I was closed traffic at Wrigh-Patterson AFB in a Warrior, and the tower controller advised me that a C-26 (Metroliner) was on final for the parallel runway. The crew politely corrected her that they were a C-21 (Learjet). The next time around, a C-141 checked in, and she told them that they were #2 behind a C-23 (Sherpa). The crew politely reminded her again that they were still a C-21. After that, she just just started calling the traffic as a "learjet".One of the few pictures I have of my dad is of him on the ladder of his F-4, getting ready for his fini-flight. We had F-4's out here at Wright-Patt for many years while I was growing up. Besides the AB as you mentioned, I remember the distinct note of the intake ramps moving and changing the intake note as they raced around the pattern. How I miss that sound! F-16's replaced the F-4's here about 1990'ish, and those gave way to the C-141 and now the C-5. Each of them have such a distinct sound, I can ID them sight unseen. Good times, indeed!

Sorry to the OP for the threadjack!Dan, no worries! Once upon a time I was closed traffic at Wrigh-Patterson AFB in a Warrior, and the tower controller advised me that a C-26 (Metroliner) was on final for the parallel runway. The crew politely corrected her that they were a C-21 (Learjet). The next time around, a C-141 checked in, and she told them that they were #2 behind a C-23 (Sherpa). The crew politely reminded her again that they were still a C-21. After that, she just just started calling the traffic as a "learjet".One of the few pictures I have of my dad is of him on the ladder of his F-4, getting ready for his fini-flight. We had F-4's out here at Wright-Patt for many years while I was growing up. Besides the AB as you mentioned, I remember the distinct note of the intake ramps moving and changing the intake note as they raced around the pattern. How I miss that sound! F-16's replaced the F-4's here about 1990'ish, and those gave way to the C-141 and now the C-5. Each of them have such a distinct sound, I can ID them sight unseen. Good times, indeed!
Yes sorry for bringing my old man up lol but if your father flew F4's he may be interested in this book, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/...lery/0552116157My dad wrote it when I was about 2 years old and he was flying F4's in the RAF growing up I remember pictures of the aircraft all over the house and the sound of those engines are amazing

Rob Prest

I'm having another read through the FEDEX MD11 FCOM and looking at there landing weight restrictions3 For landings at gross weights above 363,500 to 374,500 lbs., a Flaps 50

Neither of these limitations are related to the MD-11. They are limited to the MD-10-10 with steel brakes only.
Allen, I've reread that section after your post and you are correct. It is the MD10-10-10 Whenever I read through the FCOM I need to be more carefull as they seem to have grouped both types together. I'm surprised thety didn't create a seperate FCOM for the MD10. The flightdecks are the same but there are large differences in other areas.TCAS_CLIMB you have mailCheersRob

Rob Prest

The aircraft are grouped together because of their commonality. The MD-10 employs and ACF (Advanced Common Flightdeck) which allows pilots to be qualified in both aircraft. Even the checkists are the same for both aircraft. This also allows the manuals to be combined, however in most other manual's cases they are separated. In fact, the MD-10 is more technologically advanced than the MD-11 is in many cases.

Allan, could you give us an example of how the MD10 is more advanced than the MD11?
Some of the MD10's have HUDS so thats one thing. There is a forum on the net where a lot of MD10 & MD11 Fedex pilots post and a lot of posts are about being type rated on both aircraft, they all seem very unhappy about having to fly both aircraft. The funny thing is most would prefer to fly the MD10.The A330/340 are more alike and they have separate FCOMS and any airline that fly's both require crews to operate both, sometimes even on the same block.

Rob Prest

Some of the MD10's have HUDS so thats one thing. There is a forum on the net where a lot of MD10 & MD11 Fedex pilots post and a lot of posts are about being type rated on both aircraft, they all seem very unhappy about having to fly both aircraft. The funny thing is most would prefer to fly the MD10.The A330/340 are more alike and they have separate FCOMS and any airline that fly's both require crews to operate both, sometimes even on the same block.
I'm pretty sure i saw a video with a FEDEX MD11 with HUDS also.

Nathan

I'm pretty sure i saw a video with a FEDEX MD11 with HUDS also.
You may be right, my info is from early last year and all the tests where being done on the MD10 aircraft, they planed to roll it out across the whole fleet so not surprising if it's made it's way on to the MD11. I'm pretty sure there is a payware MD10 with a hud out there somewhere.

Rob Prest

Rjprest,i ve seen combos FCOMs for 330/340 family with some operators using both and in the same time they re releasing unique version for some crew as not all are qualified for both versions ...phil

Allan, could you give us an example of how the MD10 is more advanced than the MD11?
The HUD has nothing to do with the different advancements. The MD-10 is more advanced in that the avionics are newer. For example, the MD-10s use LCD displays, where the MD-11s do not. Also, the MD-10s had GPS from the onset where the MD-11 didnt until the MD-10 was developed. The most prime example would be that the flight management, CAWS and EIS functions are controlled by 7 different computers in the MD-11, where on the MD-10 they are done by 3. There are a few more examples, but this pretty much explains it. It should be noted that the 717 also uses the same technology in the MD-10. Regarding the HUD, it is a combination of head-up guidance, as well as forward looking infrared technology, exclusive to FedEx for now. Most of the FedEx fleet is scheduled to receive this mod, done over time. At present the MD-11s and MD-10s will be done first.