Sign in to follow this  
Propeller

Everything but 60 FPS is unsmooth

HiI have an Nvidia GTX 260 and play FS9. The problem is that the sim is unsmooth if 60 FPS is not reached. If the FPS is locked at 60, it works very well if the computer can keep that value. If the FPS is locked to a lower value, 30 for example, the sim is stuttering, but the FPS is still stable and kept at 30. Also setting it to Unlimited makes the same problem.I'm quite sure that the problem is because of my video card (GTX 260), had a 7900GTX before, and bought the GTX 260 a few months ago. I have tried with new PSU (Corsair 650W), new CPU (Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz) , new RAM (4GB) , and new HD (WD caviar black), and still having this problem. I've also tried many drivers, two OS (win XP and 7) but the problem remains.Anyone knows why?

Try enabling Vsync.
I've already done that. I've tried APPLICATION, OFF, ON, and also combined with TRIPPLE BUFFERING. ON causes most stuttering. OFF seems almost smooth but gives a lot of tearing.

Are you enabling from the application or from the driver control panel?
I'm using nHancer, and enabling from there.

Is it even possible to control Vsync in FS9?
It's been awhile since I've run FS9 so I don't remember for sure, but ISTR the option being present.

Guest djt01
The problem is that the sim is unsmooth if 60 FPS is not reached. If the FPS is locked at 60, it works very well if the computer can keep that value.
It

Hardell, I think it's just something you have to live with. I'm in the same boat as yourself. I used to have a 19inch LCD and was able to hold 60fps is pretty much all situations and everything was very smooth. Now I've upgraded to a 24inch LCD and HD clouds from REX and am struggling to maintain that 60fps in some situations. I've found in my set up that I must have fps limited to 60 or 30 FPS to get stutter free peroformance (esp when turning)...but even if fps falls off 60 just a bit, I can def tell that its not as smooth, esp because I use TrackIR. I'm now forced to lower my AA, but considering how massive this screen is, I'll take that trade.Many people will try to argue and tell you that all this is BS and the sim is very smooth at 24fps as long as it is locked there. I just believe they haven't experienced fs9 locked at 60fps on a good system, or something along those lines...but to each his own.

Hardell, I think it's just something you have to live with. I'm in the same boat as yourself. I used to have a 19inch LCD and was able to hold 60fps is pretty much all situations and everything was very smooth. Now I've upgraded to a 24inch LCD and HD clouds from REX and am struggling to maintain that 60fps in some situations. I've found in my set up that I must have fps limited to 60 or 30 FPS to get stutter free peroformance (esp when turning)...but even if fps falls off 60 just a bit, I can def tell that its not as smooth, esp because I use TrackIR. I'm now forced to lower my AA, but considering how massive this screen is, I'll take that trade.Many people will try to argue and tell you that all this is BS and the sim is very smooth at 24fps as long as it is locked there. I just believe they haven't experienced fs9 locked at 60fps on a good system, or something along those lines...but to each his own.
Thanks for your input.So, older video cards, like my previous one (7900GTX), are in general better in keeping a smooth sim even if they can't keep the FPS at the refresh rate, right? My brother is using my old card, and everytime I try his FS9 it's a completely different experience when it comes to this. No stuttering at all. Both Unlimited and a locked value gives excellent results.I'm quite sure that something is wrong with my setup, cause the stuttering is so obvious. Like I said before, locked at 60 is the only thing that works. I wouldn't complain about this if the sim was able to keep 60 FPS all the time, but it can't do that. Every single slight drop gives a stutter. Unlimited is worse. And locking it to another value than 60, makes it even worse, even though the FPS is kept stable at the locked value.

It can't be that your old 7900GTX is better for FS9 than your brand new GTX 260. Is that possible?FS stuff is so confusing... I'm getting afraid of buying a new system.

It can't be that your old 7900GTX is better for FS9 than your brand new GTX 260. Is that possible?
If we're talking about how much FPS the card can deliver, the GTX 260 is way better than 7900GTX. But when it comes to smooth playing, if not 60 FPS is reached, then the 7900GTX was much much better, for me.Is it possible that my GTX 260 card is broken or damaged in anyway?

Hi, I need a final word about this now. I've been in contact with XFX support and they finally told me to contact the reseller, which I did. The reseller accepted my description of the problem and is now letting me send my GTX 260 to them so they can have a look at it to see if something is wrong. But, I just want to make sure that it is actually possible NOT having the problems I have in FS9 and FSX. If they can't find anything wrong with my GTX 260, I will have to pay.So, do you recognize these problems in FS9/FSX?- FSX is reporting sudden quick changes in FPS, to 100-200, often, even though V-sync is on.- FPS set to UNLIMITED in FSX, is almost unplayable. The image freezes all the time for short periods.- In FS9 the freezing/stuttering is not as bad as in FSX, but it's still there. Locked at 60 FPS works good, but anything else gives the same problem like the ones in FSX.The MAIN PROBLEM is the freezing/stuttering. Let's say you're in spot view and watch the aircraft from the side. Apply full thrust and keep the camera angle. Then focus on a static object, beside the runway, in the image, and I can see that the object is freezing for a short time, every now and then, which means the whole picture has had the same problem.It's also easy to see this if in cockpit view and making a normal, quite slow, 360 degree turn. The image outside the cockpit window freezes very short in the turn and then it's smooth for a second and then freezes short again, and so on.Is it actually possible to get rid of these problems in FS9/FSX?Is it possible to play FS9/FSX smooth without any freezing/stuttering problems?Thanks

As ive said, I have the exact same experience you have, and have had it both with the 8800gts and gtx 260 cards. Mine has no stutters if set to 30 or 60 fps (note my monitor refresh rate is 60Hz), but if set to any other number, I get stutters. I beleive everyone has this but just interprets the stutters as being smooth...same as some people are more then happy with getting 25 fps while im not happy if I dont get above 40.