Sign in to follow this  
Guest CryogenicPilot

What Files Can We Delete?

Guest CryogenicPilot

This might sound odd...But I'd like to know if there are non-essential files we can lose to free up hard disk space?I have FSX on its own SATA drive, but, for example, I don't fly the missions. So, I am thinking I can maybe delete those and this might free up a few hundred MBs since they include wav files, and other things?What about things like ATC voice files (I never use the default ATC)?I assume FSX as a whole will still function, but just not certain parts like ATC and missions if I delete those files, correct? How about the Flight Lessons files?Does anybody have any specific suggestions?

Guest CryogenicPilot

Scoob,It's not the space.The only thing on that SATA drive is FSX.I just want to know if we can delete files that we will NEVER use (or have already used like the Missions). It makes no sense keeping files that will never serve a purpose and that don't play an integral part in keeping FSX functioning, does it?Also, the less files = less fragmented the drive becomes over time.

There is no need to remove files from FSX, in fact its dicing with death, FSX does not fragment itself much at all if you dont add or remove files from it. Its false economy as it adds no overheads to fsx.

Scoob,It's not the space.The only thing on that SATA drive is FSX.I just want to know if we can delete files that we will NEVER use (or have already used like the Missions). It makes no sense keeping files that will never serve a purpose and that don't play an integral part in keeping FSX functioning, does it?Also, the less files = less fragmented the drive becomes over time.
It makes perfect sense to leave all default files alone. If you don't use them they don't impact on in-game performance, whereas removing them can impact on wherther the gasmer loads at all - just look at the number of posts in this forum from people who have tried to clever and removed default files they don't use, only to create a problem weeks or months down the line.Besides, have you looked at the file sizes of the stuff you are interested in removing? Small potatoes. FAR better to remove unwanted addon sceneries and aircraft which cumulatively can double, treble or even quadruple the size of the basic FSX installation. THOSE you can remove or shift to a remote location. Use search function for details. We've listed the files and how-to's on numerous occasions and others have reported the results.

Guest WarpAir

If you looking to do this in order to improve performance in some way, i think you just broke the record in bad fsx ideas.But i have done something similar to what you trying to do.I use ultimatedefrag, this defragger allows you to set where files are placed on your HDD. In my system fsx is on its own drive, so i put scenery files on edge of the disk, which fastest part of the diskThen all the missions, lessons etc are marked i set as archive, which means they are put in the center of the disk, the slowest part of the disk.That way the files are still there but of the the way of the most important stuff. Be carefull what you put in center of the disk though, make sure its not something in high demand, else you hear your disk vibrating. I think you need go get ultimatedefrag, then put all those files you wana delete in center of disk, much better idea than deleting them.

If you looking to do this in order to improve performance in some way, i think you just broke the record in bad fsx ideas.But i have done something similar to what you trying to do.I use ultimatedefrag, this defragger allows you to set where files are placed on your HDD. In my system fsx is on its own drive, so i put scenery files on edge of the disk, which fastest part of the diskThen all the missions, lessons etc are marked i set as archive, which means they are put in the center of the disk, the slowest part of the disk.That way the files are still there but of the the way of the most important stuff. Be carefull what you put in center of the disk though, make sure its not something in high demand, else you hear your disk vibrating. I think you need go get ultimatedefrag, then put all those files you wana delete in center of disk, much better idea than deleting them.
I also have done this on my FSX install,which is also on it,s own drive..Lou

This might sound odd...But I'd like to know if there are non-essential files we can lose to free up hard disk space?I have FSX on its own SATA drive, but, for example, I don't fly the missions. So, I am thinking I can maybe delete those and this might free up a few hundred MBs since they include wav files, and other things?What about things like ATC voice files (I never use the default ATC)?I assume FSX as a whole will still function, but just not certain parts like ATC and missions if I delete those files, correct? How about the Flight Lessons files?Does anybody have any specific suggestions?
I deleted the mission files with absolutely no problems and gained about a minute on loaf times. That folder alone is over a gig. Anyway that is my experience.Don
I deleted the mission files with absolutely no problems and gained about a minute on load times. That folder alone is over a gig. Anyway that is my experience.Don

Guest CryogenicPilot
I deleted the mission files with absolutely no problems and gained about a minute on loaf times. That folder alone is over a gig. Anyway that is my experience.
Thank you, Don... And Lou.You two are the only ones who gave me serious replies.I thought this might have been a topic of interest to other flight simmers, veteran ones, who have already been through the missions and other non-essential elements related to the actual flying functions of FSX. Apparently, however, offering sarcastic and condescending replies (Do a search!) is more fun, so I'll let the kiddies have the play ground.Later.

Thank you, Don... And Lou.You two are the only ones who gave me serious replies.I thought this might have been a topic of interest to other flight simmers, veteran ones, who have already been through the missions and other non-essential elements related to the actual flying functions of FSX. Apparently, however, offering sarcastic and condescending replies (Do a search!) is more fun, so I'll let the kiddies have the play ground.Later.
The prior comments are not sarcastic or condescending, they are truthful replies taking FSX overall into account. But do as you will........................

I think that is a bit harsh, don't you?Anyway, I don't do helicopters. I spend more time than I care to digging myself out of the ground, the building in front of me, or the airplanes adjacent to my take off point. I deleted all of the helicopters from FSX and have not suffered any issues since. My next project is to dump the ultralights... I don't do those either. I hate to eat dirt. :(

Guest anthony31fs

Perhaps you could try renaming your missions folder first. By renaming it FSX won't know where to find it and so won't load it. Effectively it is the same as deleting it but with the added advantage that if you remove something vital to FSX you can easily rename it back to its original name rather than try to extract a copy from the FSX DVDs. If after a month or two FSX is running fine and you are happy with it you can then delete the folders and files you have renamed.

I know of at least three payware products that call on resources stored within the Mission folder.I know of at least seven payware aircraft that call on default helicopter resources - aliasing gauges, sounds, even air files. If I recall correctly there are even payware AIRCRAFT that make use of them...SP2/Acceleration is specified in addon requirements for many reasons, but one of the major ones is that the addon needs to access files and folders that are specific to that level of default installation. If deleting the Mission folder save a minute of load up time then that is symptomatic of another problem, as Missions are NOT loaded at startup, only the file descriptors.Still, as our OP obviously has a closed mind on the subject and an attitude toward constructive debate, 'nuff said. We shall remember the name when the (inevitable) problems emerge.Our wisdom is that of seasoned simmers, who have in most cases already made those mistakes and learnt from them.