Sign in to follow this  
Sean H

FSX Patch Package

Looking for help on this issue. I recently tryed to run FSX and now get a message and the program won't run.Similar to "Patch Package could not be opened. Ensure the Patch Package is vaild at this F:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msi"Now I can't do anything with FSX, eg won't run, won't repair, won't uninstall....Done a couple of searches on Internet, but haven't had any luck yet. I thought that you guys being the collective gurus would probably know straight up.

Guest CryogenicPilot

This is a new one, unfortunately.The only thing I can suggest is probably what you don't want to hear:A full uninstall (deleting the FSX directory) and then re-install from the DVDs.Make sure you have the latest MS Installer that can be downloaded off the MS Downloads site, first and see if this helps. If not, delete FSX and you will probably need that new installer anyway for re-installation via the DVDs.

Thanks Kendall, I actually have used that and it didn't seem to make any difference. After I used it I saw two things, 1. it says for MS Office, and 2. In another forum it warns against using it.I haven't tryed getting the latest installer. Will do a search on that one now..... Thanks.

Thanks Kendall, I actually have used that and it didn't seem to make any difference. After I used it I saw two things, 1. it says for MS Office, and 2. In another forum it warns against using it.I haven't tryed getting the latest installer. Will do a search on that one now..... Thanks.
The Windows Installer Clean Up Utility will work with any product do not worry about it saying its for MS Office. Who ever warned against it is flat out wrong. The Windows Installer Clean Up Utility looks up for registry references and files related to Windows Installer that were installed by various programs, and forcibly wipes them out. It will work in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. It can fix a botched FSX install so you are able to reinstall FSX (I am not saying that it will correct your particular issue but many times it is the answer). You need to install the utility run Windows Install Clean Up, If FSX shows up in the list of Installed Products, highlight it and click remove.

Thanks Sargeski, I have now downloaded, installed and run the MS Installer Clean Up Utility. It finds FSX, however when I try and remove it the program gets a runtime error and CTD.Looks like FSX has a mind of it's own and doesn't want to be touched.It would have been good, but now apart from reformatting my whole drive and re-installing everything I have, I'm U/S.

Sean,If you are CTDing with that application you have far greater problems than just a botched FSX install. FSX is not causing the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to crash something eles is. You can trying booting windows in safe mode and rerun the utility and see if you can get it to sucessfully remove the entries. If that does not work, it would appear to me that you are in need of a clean install of your OS. What OS are you using?? If you are on Vista or Windows 7 and do not have UAC disabled, run the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility as administrator.

What O/S? No one is asking the basic questions. What were you doing to your system immediately prior to getting this error message?Run a REPAIR install from the FSX DVD and see if that will allow you to fix things. From there deinstallation is easier.If not, then rename the FSX folder to FSXbackup, rename the FSX.exe to something like FSX.exe.bak and run the re-installation from there.There is no such thing as a product that can't be uninstalled. FSX may be uninstalled simply be deleting the FSX folder, then cleaning any and all registry entries.

OK, agreed lets get back to basics.Windows XP Media Center Edition v2002SP3, Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2.39GHz 2.00GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7900GSBeen running FS9 with add-ons for long time and still no issues with FS9 etc.FSX was purchased on DVD, and installed when it first came out, however only ran once. Whenever I put the DVD into the drive it says this "Patch Package....." and closes.I tryed to uninstall FSX, however it wasn't in the Program ADD/Remove list.I have since deleted the FSX folder from the C:\\Installed and ran Registry Mechanic. (Found 2000+ supposed errors????, and repaired them all except one unknown)Installed and ran Installer Cleaner. (runtime error when I try and remove FSX)So here I am, now.FSX is on the start menu, but nothing in the folder.FSX DVD inserted, "Patch Package ........" and closes.Main FSX folder been removed from C:Every Otherthing on computer seems to run fine, except everytime I restart Windows, I get several Installers running (unknown what they are for).

Sean,Everything I can locate on particualr issue points to two possible casues an installation gone wrong or System Restore being ran in XP after FSX was installed. In both instances the registry contains bad information. If you cannot correct or get rid of the invalid registry entries your problem will persist. Even though you are on XP try running the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility once again but as administrator and see if you can get it to complete. You will not be able to attemp even a repair install of FSX until the registry is sorted.The information I am posting came from a Microsoft Tech Support Representative sometime ago when I was attempting to help another forum member solve a similar FSX install problem (pay particualr attention to the removing game from the registry section, I would however recommend that you complete as many sections of the entire list as you can): Step 1: Delete the contents of the Temporary folder. 1. Click Start search, type %temp% in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. On the Edit menu, click Select All. 3. On the File menu, click Delete. 4. Click yes when you receive the following message: Are you sure you want to send these items to the Recycle Bin? If the issue persists, try next Step. Step 2: Uninstall the game. 1. Click on Start 2. Click on Control Panel. 3. Click on Switch to classic view 4. Click on Add or Remove programs 5. Select the Microsoft Flight Simulator X and click on Remove. Remove the game folder. 1. Right click on Start 2. Click on Explore 3. Click on Program Files 4. Double click on Microsoft games 5. Select the Flight Simulator X folder and press the Delete key on the keyboard. Remove the folder that has saved game content. 1. Click Start, and then click My Documents. 2. Right-click the Flight Simulator Files folder, if it exists, and then click Delete. Note: If the Flight Simulator Files folder does not exist, close the My Documents window, and then go to step 3. 3. Click yes to confirm that you want to remove the folder and all its contents. 4. Close the My Documents window. Remove the FSX folder. 1. Click on Start Search 2. Type %appdata% in the box and click on OK 3 Double click on Microsoft folder 4. Select FSX folder and press Delete key on the keyboard. Step 3: Remove the game from Registry. WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Remove the game entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 1. Click on Start Search 2. In the box type regedit and press Enter key. 3. Double Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 4. Double Click on Software 5. Double Click on Microsoft 6. Double Click on Microsoft Games 7. Double Click on Flight Simulator. 8. Select the 10.0 folder and press the Delete key on the keyboard. Remove the game entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER 1. Click on Start Search 2. In the box type regedit and press Enter key. 3. Double Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER 4. Double Click on Software 5. Double Click on Microsoft 6. Double Click on Microsoft Games 7. Double Click on Flight Simulator. 8. Select the 10.0 folder and press the Delete key on the keyboard Note: The above steps will remove the flight simulator X completely. Step 4: Install Windows Installer Clean up Utility We need to install the Windows Installer Clean up Utility to remove the residue of files remained after uninstalling FSX manually. 1. Click on the link given below and click on Run. http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exe 2. Click on Run and then click on Run again. 3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Windows Installer Clean up utility. 4. After the installation is complete then click on Start and then click on All Programs 5. At the bottom of All Programs locate and select Windows Install Clean Up. 6. A window will appear with the list of multiple programs installed on your system. 7. Click On Microsoft Flight Simulator X and then click on Remove. NOTE: Make sure that only Microsoft Flight Simulator X is selected and nothing else. 8. Once the game is un-installed exit the utility, restart the system Step 5: Install the game. 1. Insert the game disc in the drive. Note: Do not click Express Install during setup. 2. Follow the setup menus until you see the Change button. 3. Click Change. 4. In the Path box, delete the existing path, and then type drive: \Program Files\Microsoft Games\ game name. In this example, drive is the drive letter of the hard disk and game name is the name of the game that you are trying to install. 5. Click OK when you are finished. 6. Follow the directions that appear on the screen to install the game. If you cannot get your installtion issued resolved following the above procedures, I am sorry to say the only course of action, if you still wish to install FSX, is a reformart and clean install (which you should consider taking into account your description of what happens when you boot into your OS) . Hopefully, the above procedures will help you resolve your problem. I am also assuming, in making the above suggestions, that you have been diligent enough to ensure your computer is virus free.Regards,Bob

Bob,Thanks for the List. I will start on it today, and report back.Since last post, I did a Search for FSX* and then deleted everything that appeared. Funny it still had quite a few entries in various folders etc.Thanks again, hopefully report back soon as a happy camper again.. ;-)

Bob,No good mate. Followed it through step by step, and still get same thing. (Found 700+ files in the TEMP folder)So Registry Cleaner still will not delete FSX from the registry. It appears on the list however trying to remove it produces the runtime error '5'Thank-you for your time and replies. Even though I haven't fixed it, at least you made the effort.