Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

Again:XP64 or Win7 64bit?

Hi.After days of trying to solve OOM with longer flight with PMDG Md11/B747 I decide to go for 64bit.Now the real question, which to choose: XP64 or Win 7.I need reliable system without fancy look and I'm curious about compatibility of this addons:Now I'm curious which addon could have a problem with it:1.ASV62.PMDG MD11,B737,B7473.LevelD 7674.DA Fokker, PA Cheyenne5.Wilco ERJv26. Scenerys.....7.AES ThanksEdinP.S. I saw on DA forum that Fokker have some problems with W7.

I went from XP Home 32 bit to Win 7 Pro 64bit. I am very pleased with Win7. Very few issues have arisen, and none of the issues relate to FS2004.OOM's were a crippling problem in xp 32 bit. With Win 7 64bit, I have not had a single OOM. In fact, (knock on wood) FS2004 hasn't even so much as crashed or locked up now that I think about it.FS2004PMDGLevel-DUT FSGlobalHigh density add-on airports (FLytampa, mega-airports, etc.)

I went from XP Home 32 bit to Win 7 Pro 64bit. I am very pleased with Win7. Very few issues have arisen, and none of the issues relate to FS2004.OOM's were a crippling problem in xp 32 bit. With Win 7 64bit, I have not had a single OOM. In fact, (knock on wood) FS2004 hasn't even so much as crashed or locked up now that I think about it.FS2004PMDGLevel-DUT FSGlobalHigh density add-on airports (FLytampa, mega-airports, etc.)
HiOne more question. I had problems with XP 32bit 3Gb sw and AES airports.Now I read that with 64bit OS i must Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exe.Should I expect same problems with AES?Thanks

HiOne more question. I had problems with XP 32bit 3Gb sw and AES airports.Now I read that with 64bit OS i must Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exe.Should I expect same problems with AES?Thanks
With the 3GB sw, are you talking about the boot.ini switch? If so, you don't need that line in a 64 bit OS. However, you MUST set the Large address aware flag for fs9.exe in CFF explorer.After the upgrade (well, really it was a clean install) to Win 7 pro x64, I used CFF explorer to make FS9 large address aware. Since then, I have not had a single OOM. It completely 100% solved the problem. Hope this helps

Hi.After days of trying to solve OOM with longer flight with PMDG Md11/B747 I decide to go for 64bit.Now the real question, which to choose: XP64 or Win 7.I need reliable system without fancy look and I'm curious about compatibility of this addons:Now I'm curious which addon could have a problem with it:1.ASV62.PMDG MD11,B737,B7473.LevelD 7674.DA Fokker, PA Cheyenne5.Wilco ERJv26. Scenerys.....7.AES ThanksEdinP.S. I saw on DA forum that Fokker have some problems with W7.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Personally, if you are paying for it, and being that FS9 was created when W98 and XP were the rage...I'd just go with XP Pro 64 bit. It will run FS9 and FSX beautifully. If you though want to future proof your purchase for a few years...I'd CERTAINLY go with a either W7 Business/Pro or W7 Ultimate. Both have great features, like file encryption capabilities, etc, etc. I can vouch today for W7 Untimate running all my flight sim software without a hitch.Cheers,Mitch

I run Win 7 x64 dual booted with my old XP x32 (so I can use my RXP GNS'), and if anything FS9 runs better on the Win 7 platform. Each OS has it's own drive and FS9 install (hey, HD space is cheap these day :( ), and the 'Win 7 FS9' runs my heavy iron (so no more OOMs for me) and the 'XP FS9' runs the GA stuff (for the RXP gauges I mentioned earlier). Each FS9 has the same setup and environmental addons (GEPro, REX2004, etc), RC4 and FSGenesis mesh, the only difference is the size of the addon aircraft. Considering the Win 7 FS9 has to run maxed out with PMDG et al vs XP FS9 maxed with the DA Cheyenne or F1 Meridian (I'd guess they'd be the heaviest number crunchers there, although I have the full set of Dreamfleet and Eaglesoft GAs there as well), you'd think that I'd see the Win 7 model running slower than the XP one but that doesn't seem to be the case. XP is optimized as per Nick_N's instuctions (also has the 3GB switch, 3.25GB available), whist Win 7 is basically untouched. I'm more than happy with Win 7 x64 for FS9.My PC isn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination (E8400, 9800GT, 4GB), but it just takes anything FS9.75 can throw at it and eats it up. Never been happier with FS9.Cheers, SLuggy

Guest Bonanzapilot
With the 3GB sw, are you talking about the boot.ini switch? If so, you don't need that line in a 64 bit OS. However, you MUST set the Large address aware flag for fs9.exe in CFF explorer.After the upgrade (well, really it was a clean install) to Win 7 pro x64, I used CFF explorer to make FS9 large address aware. Since then, I have not had a single OOM. It completely 100% solved the problem. Hope this helps
Please forgive my ignorance. What is the CFF explorer and how does one use this? I too have Win7 64 bit and would like to "unlock" my 6 Gig of RAM.Thanks.John

Guest Bonanzapilot
Please forgive my ignorance. What is the CFF explorer and how does one use this? I too have Win7 64 bit and would like to "unlock" my 6 Gig of RAM.Thanks.John
OK, I found the CFF Explorer tool and have downloaded it. Where is the setting to change this for FS9.exe?Thanks.John

OK, I found the CFF Explorer tool and have downloaded it. Where is the setting to change this for FS9.exe?Thanks.John
Make a backup copy of fs9.exe. Than start "CFF Explorer" and open the original fs9.exe file.Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. There you find a button labeled "click here". Click it. And select the check mark at "App can handle> 2gb address space "Save the modified fs9.exe, overwrite the original one (You have your backup, right?).James

James:Am I correct in assuming that this modification only applies to the i7 64bit OS, or does it apply to the XP 64bit OS as well? After a search, I find no "CFF Explorer" provisions in XP, nor am I familiar with these provisions.My reason for asking is that I have opperated with the XP Pro 64bit OS for many months now, but on one occasion only I did see an OOM warning after a fourteen hour flight. Being that this was the only time this ever occured I ignored it and frankly forgot it until reading this thread. Now I wonder. I don't even remember whether it was in FS9 or FSX but have never seen the error again after many hours of flight, some of equal or even longer duration.Thanks for the info:RTH

Make a backup copy of fs9.exe. Than start "CFF Explorer" and open the original fs9.exe file.Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. There you find a button labeled "click here". Click it. And select the check mark at "App can handle> 2gb address space "Save the modified fs9.exe, overwrite the original one (You have your backup, right?).James

As far as I remember, Oliver Pabst has fixed these issues in one or other revision of AES (that's what I read on their forum anyway). I had problems with large address aware patched FS9.exe on XP-x64 until the revision of AES and since then I have had no such problems...Geoff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------I recommend you read my latest W7 observation in the FSX forum. If not, I now highly endorse ANYBODY using any flight sim to upgrade from what they are using, if not a version of W7. Great features, great performance with W7. That, in a nutshell.

James:Am I correct in assuming that this modification only applies to the i7 64bit OS, or does it apply to the XP 64bit OS as well? After a search, I find no "CFF Explorer" provisions in XP, nor am I familiar with these provisions.My reason for asking is that I have opperated with the XP Pro 64bit OS for many months now, but on one occasion only I did see an OOM warning after a fourteen hour flight. Being that this was the only time this ever occured I ignored it and frankly forgot it until reading this thread. Now I wonder. I don't even remember whether it was in FS9 or FSX but have never seen the error again after many hours of flight, some of equal or even longer duration.Thanks for the info:RTH
RTH:This modification is step 2 of the 3GB switch method of curing Out of Memory errors. These errors are generally associated with WinXP 32 bit, and that's the OS on which most people use the 3GB switch. I'm no IT expert, but the OOM error typically only occurs on 32 bit systems because of the 4GB memory cap (physical and virtual memory). 64 bit systems have a huge memory cap, so OOM shouldn't really occur, in fact many, many folks have "cured: the OOM error by switching to a 64 bit OS. That's all I can say, because I'm already way over my head...Also, the CFF Explorer is a program that must be downloaded from: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php.James
Assuming you had the exact same computer, how were your frame rates in W7 vs. WinXP?James