Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

64 bit OS and PMDG aircrafts?

HiI'm planning to switch to 64bit OS, and could somebody tell me what I could expect with 64bit OS.Also which one do You prefer, XP64 or W7 64.The main thing is fs9 stability and compatibility with payware a/c and scenaries.I don't care about visual look.Thanks in advanceEdin

HiI'm planning to switch to 64bit OS, and could somebody tell me what I could expect with 64bit OS.Also which one do You prefer, XP64 or W7 64.The main thing is fs9 stability and compatibility with payware a/c and scenaries.I don't care about visual look.Thanks in advanceEdin
Yes maybe Win7 64 is a stable system as Ryan says. Will get that OS when I buy a new puter this autumn. But I will also install my XP-64 on that new system, just to be safe, that

I've had no problems with Vista 64 running both FS9-10. W7 would be the way to go now, but I am waiting for my work to pick back up first.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've had no problems with Vista 64 running both FS9-10. W7 would be the way to go now, but I am waiting for my work to pick back up first.
Same here.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I just purchased WIndows 7 Ulitimate 64bit and I like it. I had a couple of kinks for some really odd reason and after 3 days of days working on it i got it going and its runs nicely. For some reason, if someone could explain why this happened, on my first clean install of Windows 7 I couldn't install itunes(I spent 5 hours looking for a reason) then on the second clean install of windows (FSX was crashing) and on the 3rd clean install it all worked(3rd time is a charm?) Windows 7 in general is the way to go but 64bit will love your PMDG. You should not get any more out of memory errors as I read in this forum and so far I haven't. Other than those 3 clean installs I have had 0 problems.I also suggest putting FSX on a separate hard drive.Taylor Oldham

I just purchased WIndows 7 Ulitimate 64bit and I like it. I had a couple of kinks for some really odd reason and after 3 days of days working on it i got it going and its runs nicely. For some reason, if someone could explain why this happened, on my first clean install of Windows 7 I couldn't install itunes(I spent 5 hours looking for a reason) then on the second clean install of windows (FSX was crashing) and on the 3rd clean install it all worked(3rd time is a charm?) Windows 7 in general is the way to go but 64bit will love your PMDG. You should not get any more out of memory errors as I read in this forum and so far I haven't. Other than those 3 clean installs I have had 0 problems.I also suggest putting FSX on a separate hard drive.Taylor Oldham
Thanks guys.One more question.In case of installing 64bit OS, should I Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exe?Because I read that without this procedure 64bit OS is useless , with whatever RAM you load in it. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=270471And now I'm curious , should I expect again problems with AES as I had it with 3GB sw after changing fs9 flag.Edin

Hi Edin, I have Vista 64 and am also one of many that have a disappear textures issue, that people have cleared up switching back to XP64. If you have a lot of adds, I would just go with XP64 honestly. I am actually about to downgrade myself. Win7 has the same issue from what I've read but have also read some good things. If you do go to either Vista or 7, do yourself a favor and install your FS other than the default directory, anywhere but Program Files (x86) anyway, that may lead you to some nanny Admin rights issues.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest acezboy561
Hi Edin, I have Vista 64 and am also one of many that have a disappear textures issue, that people have cleared up switching back to XP64. If you have a lot of adds, I would just go with XP64 honestly. I am actually about to downgrade myself. Win7 has the same issue from what I've read but have also read some good things. If you do go to either Vista or 7, do yourself a favor and install your FS other than the default directory, anywhere but Program Files (x86) anyway, that may lead you to some nanny Admin rights issues.
Really? I went from XP Home Prem 64Bit to Vista 64Bit (for like 1week) then got my disc for 7 64Bit. I dont have any issues with FSX in Win7 except for a bottleneck (but thats not because of Windows) I found in the x86 directory not much different to XP's Program Files.

Really? I went from XP Home Prem 64Bit to Vista 64Bit (for like 1week) then got my disc for 7 64Bit. I dont have any issues with FSX in Win7 except for a bottleneck (but thats not because of Windows) I found in the x86 directory not much different to XP's Program Files.
Like I said, I don't have it, but have "Read" lot's of the same Vista issues that I experience often.As to the x86 directory, again I go by the many posts I've read about admin rights, because Vista and 7, safeguard it and make writing to those files sometimes difficult. I never install on my OS drive anyway, but giving advice from what (as I said) I read, and I think is good advice in general anyway, but thanks for your opinion also.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Like I said, I don't have it, but have "Read" lot's of the same Vista issues that I experience often.As to the x86 directory, again I go by the many posts I've read about admin rights, because Vista and 7, safeguard it and make writing to those files sometimes difficult. I never install on my OS drive anyway, but giving advice from what (as I said) I read, and I think is good advice in general anyway, but thanks for your opinion also.
Hi Dan and others and thanks for valuable information.I think I will go for XP64, because I want reliable solution.Still W7 is new OS, so maybe with new PC :-). Is it problem with x86 directory vissible on XP 64 or..?Also, nobody confirms that I must Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exeAnd another question. I have 2 identical HD 320gb, and I had RAID0 on my XP32bit.In Your opinion what is the better solution, make a RAIDO or normal array with 2 identical HD, and then install FS9 on that second HD. Edin

Hi Dan and others and thanks for valuable information.I think I will go for XP64, because I want reliable solution.Still W7 is new OS, so maybe with new PC :-). Is it problem with x86 directory vissible on XP 64 or..?Also, nobody confirms that I must Use CFF Explorer to set the flag in FS9.exeAnd another question. I have 2 identical HD 320gb, and I had RAID0 on my XP32bit.In Your opinion what is the better solution, make a RAIDO or normal array with 2 identical HD, and then install FS9 on that second HD. Edin
If it

And another question. I have 2 identical HD 320gb, and I had RAID0 on my XP32bit.In Your opinion what is the better solution, make a RAIDO or normal array with 2 identical HD, and then install FS9 on that second HD. Edin
I have run normally run my system with Raid 0 up until about a few months ago. Even with my drives (2 WD Velociraptors) in raid 0, isn't going to give you much for gaming as most people think (if anything). I liked it for video editing but no longer bother.Running your FS installation and add-ons on HD by itself has it's benefits though, and that's what I do currently.The x86 directory thing is just the extra contol Vista has on it (Thus the nick name, "The Nanny"). If you look around you'll read tons of people not able to do certain things without first running it as Administrator. I just don't like the attempts for control MS has done in the last two OS's and only thing I would recommend 7 for is if you want it to change your wallpaper on a schedule. I have installed it on a couple comps I built (per request) and it does boot fast and installs with no prob, but other than that don't have any experience with it (minimal).To each their own.

Dan Prunier

I am one of those who tried Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and had a bloody nightmare with black/disappearing textures and CTD's on long (4+ hour) flights. My final conclusion was it has something to do with the combination of my rig and how the newer Vista/7 kernal allocated RAM and GPU memory. Since switching back to my tried-and-true WinXP_x64, I have not had one single texture loss, black-screen, or CTD. I won't look at Win7 again until well after the first service pack is released for this OS.Don't get me wrong, I liked Win7; I have it running on all my other computers in my household - it just couldn't stand-up to the rigors of my full-blown FSX environment. YMMV...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE