Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

64 bit OS and PMDG aircrafts?

I am one of those who tried Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and had a bloody nightmare with black/disappearing textures and CTD's on long (4+ hour) flights. My final conclusion was it has something to do with the combination of my rig and how the newer Vista/7 kernal allocated RAM and GPU memory. Since switching back to my tried-and-true WinXP_x64, I have not had one single texture loss, black-screen, or CTD. I won't look at Win7 again until well after the first service pack is released for this OS.Don't get me wrong, I liked Win7; I have it running on all my other computers in my household - it just couldn't stand-up to the rigors of my full-blown FSX environment. YMMV...
Yes, it

One thing I wonder about the vista64 and win7 texture disappearing act (dawn/dusk), is if it's only nVidia cards. If both Ryan and Dan D, recommend it both with "no issues", then I take it they don't share this anomaly, and I notice they both have ATI's. If that's the case and you have or plan on getting an ATI card, then 7 is probably not a bad choice. But I'd research a bit to be safe. One thing I do in my spare time is do custom builds and I actually just got a call this morning from one of the comps I recently put 7 on, asking me to take it off and throw vista on there? Not sure why yet, but if the choices are between vista and 7 only, then I would say 7,,, I think this guy's tokin on the wrong pipe.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

One thing I wonder about the vista64 and win7 texture disappearing act (dawn/dusk), is if it's only nVidia cards. If both Ryan and Dan D, recommend it both with "no issues", then I take it they don't share this anomaly, and I notice they both have ATI's. If that's the case and you have or plan on getting an ATI card, then 7 is probably not a bad choice. But I'd research a bit to be safe. One thing I do in my spare time is do custom builds and I actually just got a call this morning from one of the comps I recently put 7 on, asking me to take it off and throw vista on there? Not sure why yet, but if the choices are between vista and 7 only, then I would say 7,,, I think this guy's tokin on the wrong pipe.
Thanks guys.I'm going to XP64, because I think it is more reliable for fs9.Today I have hard work to do with installing fs9 and addons.One last question about memory usage on FS9.Hypothetically, I'm flying with MD11 above huge VFR scenery, and mem usage is around 1.4Gb and rising.After passing this scenery I'm above ocean (only water textures), should memory usage go down??Because in my case I try flight from EDDF-KATL, and somewhere above EGAA (Belfast), memory usage start to go up very quickly from normal values around 960000, and goes up after passing EGAA (UK 2000), even when I was above ocean. Then fs9 OOM happened with mem usage around 2.0Gb. I have 3gb switch activated.Edin

Thanks guys.I'm going to XP64, because I think it is more reliable for fs9.Today I have hard work to do with installing fs9 and addons.One last question about memory usage on FS9.Hypothetically, I'm flying with MD11 above huge VFR scenery, and mem usage is around 1.4Gb and rising.After passing this scenery I'm above ocean (only water textures), should memory usage go down??Because in my case I try flight from EDDF-KATL, and somewhere above EGAA (Belfast), memory usage start to go up very quickly from normal values around 960000, and goes up after passing EGAA (UK 2000), even when I was above ocean. Then fs9 OOM happened with mem usage around 2.0Gb. I have 3gb switch activated.Edin
Hi Edin!If you are going for a 64-bit OS, you should have at least 4GB of memory. I have XP-64 Prof using UT-texture for Europe, US, Canada and Alaska and lots and lots of Purchased airports including landclass and mesh for the whole world. I usually have up to 2,1GB of virtual memory when flying long routes, over those areas. When passing over waters, my virtual memory usually goes down but only very little to 1,8GB, but it will not rise either.But if I

Hi Edin!If you are going for a 64-bit OS, you should have at least 4GB of memory. I have XP-64 Prof using UT-texture for Europe, US, Canada and Alaska and lots and lots of Purchased airports including landclass and mesh for the whole world. I usually have up to 2,1GB of virtual memory when flying long routes, over those areas. When passing over waters, my virtual memory usually goes down but only very little to 1,8GB, but it will not rise either.But if I

Hi Leffe.Thanks for great explanation.I have 4GB of ram, so I hope it would be enough.I will do it like You explained.How big should be pagefile?And on 32bit Win, OOM happened with Virtual Size of below 2Gb.Thanks againEdin
Yes in a 32 bit OS, OOM usually happends to me at around 1,6 GB of Ram. Had it not patched though and only 2GB of Ram that time.The only thing you do after installed the new XP-64 is to patch the Fs9.exe file....d/l the above utility and checkmark it, can handle >than 2GB as shown inthe pics. You don

If it

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Leff, I thought we went over this already? http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 it has nothing to do with the OS. Vista and W7 need it to.Hi Edin,You received most of your answers below just to add my 3-cents I recommend that you precisely follow this information posted here word for word: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=290411) Just to be clear FS9 requires CFF patching to allow it to use greater than 2GB memory regardless of what 64-bit OS you choose.2) XP-64 is the most stable platform for FS however:a) XP is antiquated and many software developers are no longer making XP-64 drivers.:( W7 should be the system of choice. Many do not have issues with W7 and FS however some do. If you are one of the ones that do then you are in trouble.c) I use XP-64 and will not change unless I must.d) W7 is the right choice as long as it doesn