Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Graphics card help for a dummy

I know next to nothing about computer hardware.That said, the graphics card I have now is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, with 256 mb memory. My computer has 3 gigs of RAM and a Intel Q6600 quad-core CPU at 2.4 Ghz, and it is a Dell XPS 420. I'm running Vista 32. All this I got from the Dx Diag tool. I'm using fs2004.This card gives me terrible frame rates with clouds, and flickering and other problems, so I'm looking to get something more powerful. I have around 100-130 dollars to spare on it. I don't think the computer will take a PCI-2 card. My goal is to be able to be able to fly smoothly with a solid cloud blanket under me.Are there any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

I know next to nothing about computer hardware.That said, the graphics card I have now is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, with 256 mb memory. My computer has 3 gigs of RAM and a Intel Q6600 quad-core CPU at 2.4 Ghz, and it is a Dell XPS 420. I'm running Vista 32. All this I got from the Dx Diag tool. I'm using fs2004.This card gives me terrible frame rates with clouds, and flickering and other problems, so I'm looking to get something more powerful. I have around 100-130 dollars to spare on it. I don't think the computer will take a PCI-2 card. My goal is to be able to be able to fly smoothly with a solid cloud blanket under me.Are there any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Andqui,A good Nvdia 200 series card like a 250 and up would do you wonders. Is there no way to overclock your Q6600 with that motherboard? That would make a huge difference in FPS for you.Stephen

Andqui,A good Nvdia 200 series card like a 250 and up would do you wonders. Is there no way to overclock your Q6600 with that motherboard? That would make a huge difference in FPS for you.Stephen
I looked into it some before, but came to the conclusion that a Dell desktop like that can't be overclocked. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.Second, I looked at a GTS 250 I only saw that it was a pci-2 card. Am I wrong, or will a PCI-2 card not fit into a regular PCI port?

I'm not real certain, but according to your computer specs at DELL COMPUTERS I think you would be OK, but I am no hardware wizard, that's for sure. Interesting article here too: NVDIA nEvolutionAccording to this video on YouTube your computer can indeed be overclocked. There are a number of articles on the subject that I found by googling.Have you see this: Tom's Hardware Question on Dell XPS Graphics Card and Power Supply?Stephen

There's no such thing as "PCI-2". It's called PCI-Express, and yes you have it.A GTS 250 would be a good fit for your system. That 2600 XT is a very low performance card.

There's no such thing as "PCI-2". It's called PCI-Express, and yes you have it.A GTS 250 would be a good fit for your system. That 2600 XT is a very low performance card.
Told you I didn't know much about it :(A GTS 250 looks good then. Thanks for the help.

You were probably referring to the PCIe 2.0 vs regular PCIe...as far as i know, those are backwards compatible.

You were probably referring to the PCIe 2.0 vs regular PCIe...as far as i know, those are backwards compatible.
Q6600-era OEM systems did not have PCI-e v. 2.0, 1.x was still the standard back then.

Q6600-era OEM systems did not have PCI-e v. 2.0, 1.x was still the standard back then.
So can I or can I not use a PCI-e v2 card?

You should be able to, assuming your power supply has the appropriate connectors and delivers enough power on the +12V rail(s). IOW: your motherboard is unlikely to be a limiting factor. Also, your case may or may not have enough space to accommodate a large graphics card so you should check clearance from the end of your current card to the beginning of the drive bays (or whatever obstacle there may be).