Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

FSX Sound crackling with Level D 767

Hello Had this plane a week now and I am impressed but there is somethign ruining the enjoyment of it to the point were I have now spent 4-5 hours trying to sort it by googling, re installing, defragging etc but to no avail.The problem is that each time I fly sound crakles and pops can be heard. They happen reguarly and are as loud as the engine sound it self, often they repeat at the exact same time as if in a loop say every 5 seconds. Usually they are from an out side view but sometimes it happens in the cockpit and are very off putting to the extent that I have now decided it annoys me too much so I stopped flying the plane . I have read various post around the net and in this forum but none of what I have read has helped me to fix.The strange thing is that I only get this problem with the Level-D plane all other planes categorically do not have any sound problem what so ever.I have tried reinstalling the plane, I have updated my sound drivers to SoundMAX2000B_Audio_V610X6585_Windows7 and tried various settings and configurations for sound. If I go into FSX and zero the engine sounds then it goes away so It seems like the crackling/pops happen when playing engine sounds.I have FSX SP2, REX, UTX and Level-D 767, My PC specs are CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz Mobo: Asus P6T V2 Deluxe RAM: 3x2GB Dominator 7-7-7-20 VGA: GTX 285 Dedicated Velociraptor Drive --- Dell 2407 Monitor --- 850W Power --- UTX --- REX --- WINDOWS 7Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated.Lawrence

Keithy George

Two things come to mind here.Adding the BufferPools setting in the fsx.cfg file has been successful in resolving sound crackles on other i7-based systems. I'd try a value of around 200000000 to start (assuming your 285GTX has 1MB+ of VRAM. To add it, put these two lines in your fsx.cfg:

[BufferPools]PoolSize = 200000000

If that doesn't help, you might try downloading a third-party soundset and seeing how that works. You can just rename the sound directory in the LDS folder and put the new one there. If the behavior stops, it's a problem with the sound files themselves. If you hear crackles that repeat constantly, often that's a problem with how the endpoints of the .wav files are edited. I don't remember that problem ever coming up with the LDS, but it was a port from FS9, so it's possible I suppose.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Two things come to mind here.Adding the BufferPools setting in the fsx.cfg file has been successful in resolving sound crackles on other i7-based systems. I'd try a value of around 200000000 to start (assuming your 285GTX has 1MB+ of VRAM. To add it, put these two lines in your fsx.cfg:
[BufferPools]PoolSize = 200000000

If that doesn't help, you might try downloading a third-party soundset and seeing how that works. You can just rename the sound directory in the LDS folder and put the new one there. If the behavior stops, it's a problem with the sound files themselves. If you hear crackles that repeat constantly, often that's a problem with how the endpoints of the .wav files are edited. I don't remember that problem ever coming up with the LDS, but it was a port from FS9, so it's possible I suppose.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Hi Bob, thanks for your replys. Some good ideas there. I already tried various buffer pool sizes from 100-500MB (yes I do have 1GB card)as I read on another forums that I tried that but it did not work. Sorry should have mentioned that. But the replacing the sound files is a good idea, so do you think I would need to rename each new sound files to the correspnding sound file for the level d 767. And sorry to be cheeky but can you suggest the best place to go to get a replacement sound files for the level d 767?Thanks again.Lawrence

Keithy George

Hi Bob, thanks for your replys. Some good ideas there. I already tried various buffer pool sizes from 100-500MB (yes I do have 1GB card)as I read on another forums that I tried that but it did not work. Sorry should have mentioned that. But the replacing the sound files is a good idea, so do you think I would need to rename each new sound files to the correspnding sound file for the level d 767. And sorry to be cheeky but can you suggest the best place to go to get a replacement sound files for the level d 767?Thanks again.Lawrence
There are several right here in the AVSIM library.No renaming of individual sound files should be necessary. Rename the sound directory in your LVLD_B363 directory, and put in a new sound directory with the new sounds (which should include a sound.cfg file). To go back to the originals, just delete the new directory and rename the old one back to "sound"RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

There are several right here in the AVSIM library.No renaming of individual sound files should be necessary. Rename the sound directory in your LVLD_B363 directory, and put in a new sound directory with the new sounds (which should include a sound.cfg file). To go back to the originals, just delete the new directory and rename the old one back to "sound"RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Hi BobTHanks for your help, I tried replacing the complete sound set but to no avail.Oh well, I reckon this one has beat me.Can you suggest a similar price and quality Jet aircraft for FSX with a FMC?Many ThanksLawrence

Keithy George

Nick N's FSX guide http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 recommends this for sound crackling and distortion:[bufferpools]poolsize=490000000 <--- that will be somewhere between 450 and 490MBAlso check out this thread http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249782It talks about black and white textures but also sound crackling related to latency issues. There is a link to a program there that can check if you have latency issues on your bus due to an errant driver which is causing crackling. In other words change drivers or lower sound settings. Read the thread it will make sense.Steve

Stephen Munn

Sargeski- Yes did ask in the Level D forum but they were not much help all though they tried and were very helpful.Steveo38, thanks for your reply too. I checked my latency and its all green so its not that and yes FSX is set up as per Nick Ns guide, and I already tried the bufferpools fix.However, its not a problem as I found a way to fix it. Its thanks to Bob Scott's idea of changing the sound files. (thanks Bob, I was about to give up)I downloaded this sound file from avsim; "b767_pw_jt9d" designed for the LEvel-D767 and it fixed the problem. No more crackles or pops. And in my opinion, actually sound a lot better than the original 767 sound set from Level_DSo I am very happy now. This plane really adds to the experience of the sim imho, coupled with REX and UTX I am blown away.So thanks everyone for your help.

Keithy George