Sign in to follow this  
Guest TX0110

Bell 206

Guest TX0110

Hi guysNew to the forum here, I hope I can get an answer here. I have managed to get my Flightsim X up and running on Vista and I have been navigating around central Texas the last couple of nights in a Cessna 172. It's very addicting and alot of fun. But I decided to try out the helicopter and I could not find a way to control the pitch. It does'nt seem to be anywhere in the control assignments. I have a MS Sidewinder Prec Pro and I wanted to assign the pitch control to the slider on the joystick. Does anyone know how that is done?Thanks for any advise or assistance.

The three basic controls in a chopper are: the cyclic which controls pitch, the collective which contols the speed of the blades and consequently altitude, and the anti-torque pedals which control the tail rotor and the chopper's yaw. The following is from the Learning Centre which you can get to from the opening dialogue screen:

The stick part of the joystick controls the cyclic, which controls the helicopter's pitch attitude in flight and movement over the ground while in a hover.If you have a joystick like the Microsoft

Mike Beckwith

Guest TX0110
The three basic controls in a chopper are: the cyclic which controls pitch, the collective which contols the speed of the blades and consequently altitude, and the anti-torque pedals which control the tail rotor and the chopper's yaw. The following is from the Learning Centre which you can get to from the opening dialogue screen:You can also access the Learning Centre from outside FSX. Look in your installation directory for a folder Called FSWeb where you'll find another folder called Learning Centre.Good luck and welcome to AVSIM.
Thanks, I'll go check that learning center. My problem is that when I sit on the ground and run up the RPMs I have no way to control the collective to lift off either with keyboard or joystick lever. I am looking for the collective control assignment in the game.Thanks anyway.

My problem is that when I sit on the ground and run up the RPMs I have no way to control the collective to lift off either with keyboard or joystick lever.
To lift off just keep powering up the throttle until there's enough power to take off.I hope this helps.

Mike Beckwith

Guest TX0110
To lift off just keep powering up the throttle until there's enough power to take off.I hope this helps.
I got it, I figured it out. It took some trial and error. I went to controls, and in Control Axes I assigned for collective control:Engine 1 throttle Axis. (the slider on my joystick)For Throttle control from buttons/keys I assigned:Propeller increase RPM (z on my keyboard)Propeller decrease RPM (x on my key board)It works beautifully. I bring up the RPMs using the keyboard control and then after that I just leave the throttle alone. The helicopter will just sit there with the RPMs up until I use the collective. You can watch the collective lever go up and down with the slider and the twist handle moves when you work the throttle keys. Flies like a dream. I lifted off and hovered nice and somewhat solid and then flew around the field and then landed softly. It is nice. I hope this does'nt cause me to have a divorce, because it's gonna take team of horses to pull me away from this now.

Well done TX. Choppers are not easy to master, so you're off to a flying start (ha ha).

Mike Beckwith

Guest TX0110
Well done TX. Choppers are not easy to master, so you're off to a flying start (ha ha).
Well, I may have been able to take off fly around a little and then land softly that first-time. But it's a big pain trying to land that thing exactly where I want to. That I have yet to accomplish. I can pick a spot on the ground and tell myeslf I want to land exactly on that spot. But when I try things don't go exactly as planned. It would help alot if I could look around better, and there's alot of delayed reactions with the controls. I should order track IR. Anyway I took a break from the Bell 206 and have been flying a Dehaviland Beaver. What a thing of beauty that is. If I won the lottery I would try to find one to buy and just live in it for a while around Australia or some warm tropical place.DeHav2.jpg