Sign in to follow this  
boshar

FS2004, CD4 in Drive.... Copy Right Issues

>I don't assume anything, I've heard it all.>>Some people might be fooled by such excuses into believing>such things are real and valid reasons but that doesn't make>them so.Rember this is Jeroen talking,Just because I happen to reinstall my Win XP machine a lot he assumes I'm pirating. His probable reasoning: I don't do that and the only possible reason someone might do that is...Just because in some people CD drives do damage to perfectly good CD ROM's but it has never happend to Jeroen he reasons. It never happend to me so it does not happen so it must be another pirate.I guess Jeroen misses imagination.Hey Jeroen get off your high horse. I know you're a programmer and hardline anti pirate everything but not everyone circumventing the dismal anti piracy protection is a pirate. Ever noticed that a no-cd cracked FS2000 starts faster and has less problems than the original .exe? Cripling products for the legal user is never a good idea if there is a perfectly good working pirated version.You want to know what disgust me? People pirating their boses time by posting incredible amounts off text on a large number of forums and internet groups. So I'm off my coffee brake and back to lunch.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest freequest

>What a joke. Pirates may be scum, but they sure can be useful>scum sometimes can't they.Well there is a diffence between a pirate and a hacker.. hackers make the cracks for programs you own eg No-CD hacks.And Pirates steal the software and give it away to anyone that can download it. Pirates i object to hackers i dont there kinda in a grey area for me.my 2c

Guest wathomas777

Thats an extremely grey area since many of the biggest hackers are also the biggest pirates.One of the purposes of "hacking" is to get your name out there to show that you "cracked" a piece of software, and what better way of distributing said software than to pirate it.When I used to pirate/hack Commodore 64 software there was absolutely noone who "just hacked". That animal doesn't exist, which puts you in quite the moral dillema.

Guest wathomas777

Airport security screeners must LOVE you. Tell me, do you go around after being screened and get into the line again just so they don't miss something?

>...That's just another excuse made up by pirates to give some legality >to their actions (just as the "punishing large corporations", "it's >really a patch and therefore I have a right to get it free", "it's >not illegal if I don't make money from it", "I only want to try it >before buying", etc. etc.).I sincerely hope that nothing like this happens to you!! Because if it does I

Guest GabrielR

Thanks for the responses, I was just curious about this, I didn't mean to star a little war...BTW, the odds of damaging a disk are greater if you handle the disk often, nobody puts surgical gloves and mask on to handle the FS CDS, accidents can happen, as I said it happened to me, it could happen to you...those who said that CDs are forever are wrong....Those who said that all the people that asks this questions are or support Piracy are wrong...I dont know how to make no CD crack or a CD Image or whatever you call it and I dont have pirat copies of software, as a matter of fact I am so new to this that I fly 99% time with the sim as it is out of the box.Please stop flaming people for their questions, this is very frequent in this forum these days, a bunch of "gurus" who believe that they know everything and can say whatever they want even if it harms other people...I dont care if you are the Know-everything about a single piece of software, I know a bunch of things that you probably don't. a straight and simple question should recive a straight and simple answer.Thanks

Guest metamarty

Yes, the anti piracy crowd is pretty tough here. I always copy my discs on the harddrive, because it is a common and legal practice here. Nothing wrong about that. As for discs: I found that the majority of problems with discs are manufacturing deficiencies. I never actually broke a disc in two, but I do have a lot of problems with discs becoming unreadable. If you look closely at unreadable discs you can see discolorations. It must be some kind of material problem. These discs get worse over time and you'd better copy them quickly before the become completely unusable.

The Problem I have is, having to use the damn cd slows my system down. I'll be looking for the "no cd patch" ASAP.

Guest jordan

A CD can shatter when it is slightly warped to begin with. Because it creates a lot of pressure on the plastic platter as the RPM increases. Its not uncommon to get a slightly warped CD (I've found that about 1 out of 10 is the ratio), you can usually tell when you have one because it makes a louder "whirring" or "humming" noise when it spins up in the drive. Somewhat similar to having a tire that is out of balance or unevenly warn on the treads.

Guest GabrielR

Yep, thats true, Jordan, I saw your page, its great for those that love the Choppers....I saw you guys are excited about FS2004, seems like this time there are lots of improvements....Looks like I'm finally Learning to fly those things this time around!!!

Just some points...#1 - Protected CDs will fail before non-protected ones. Usually the protections involves putting in invalid stuff or messing up with the CRC codes. The later are what makes your usual CD resistant to scratches, fingerprints and other damage (including rot, over-heating, deformation...). That's why protected audio CD are bellow CD quality. That's also why they can become unreadable where a normal CD would still be readable.#2 - European law, especially French one, does indeed allow you to perform a backup copy. French law extends that right to about anything you might want to do as long as it is private law (for instance, making compilations, having both a copy at work and at home...). You have bought a LICENSE, not a material good. So, your right to the software/recording is not bound to the physical media used to transport it.#3 - Reverse-engineering is legal in Europe (at least for now). Stuff like DeCSS is legal here. This is mainly a mean to protect public investment. As long as copyright theft is not the only reason for something (ie, it has some valid legitimate uses), then it is legal. For instance, DeCSS is legal, because it is the only way open source softwares can decode DVD; the ability to copy copyrighted DVDs is only a byproduct, not the main goal of the code.#4 - Several laws are being passed restrincting these rights. In France, the LEN law will make it illegal to break a copy protection, even for private use. Similar laws are being voted throughout Europe and the USA. This means that using a special software to copy a CD for your private use will be illegal (=several years in jail). Using a NoCD crack will be illegal (=jail). Owning a DVD player with the zone protection hacked will be illegal (jail...), same with Macrovision (meaning you either go to jail or throw away your $10000 video projector that is too high quality to cope with Macrovision). Transfering content from your legally owned protected CD to your mp3 player will be illegal too.So, both CD copy and NoCD cracks for FS2k4 will be illegal. If your CD fails, you should just bring it back to your reseller and ask for a new one. Or sent it to MS for a new one. You're using your right to a backup copy, not the legal warranty, so both reseller and MS should be bound even several years after the purchase. Remember, you bought the license, not merely a physical media...

>In return, Microsoft will promise to immediately replace any damaged CD that is returned to it. This would be done either through retailers, who would replace the disk on a no-questions-asked basis, or through mail-in to Microsoft, who would offer same-day turnaround and free next-day shipping, plus re-imbursement of my cost to return the disk to them.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

>#4 - Several laws are being passed restrincting these rights. In France, the LEN law will make it illegal to break a copy protection, even for private use. Similar laws are being voted throughout Europe and the USA. This means that using a special software to copy a CD for your private use will be illegal (=several years in jail). Using a NoCD crack will be illegal (=jail). Owning a DVD player with the zone protection hacked will be illegal (jail...), same with Macrovision (meaning you either go to jail or throw away your $10000 video projector that is too high quality to cope with Macrovision). Transfering content from your legally owned protected CD to your mp3 player will be illegal too.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest tascaso

Exactly....I am not copying games and going over everyones home and installing the software and leaving. I love buying the products and having the original disc. Yes those pirates we hate also supply us with the very useful NO-CD cracks. Its an ugly world and no I am not perfect merely human.Oh and speaking of liberal return policies. COSTCO...I know folks that will have a computer system at home for a year and return it for a new one! Reason: Hey I am tired of it. Of course what they get a year later is quite a bit better than the previous computer they had. Not that COSTCO carries cutting edge computers but still I could never do that.Tony

Guest freequest

>Thats an extremely grey area since many of the biggest>hackers are also the biggest pirates.I suppose so. But I would rather prolong the life of my CD's by haveing backups or atleast being able to run without haveing a original in the drive at all times.I run on a fairly tight budget I buy very few games and with MSFS2004 costing me near $100 I just cant go out and buy a new one if the disc dies on it... And most people that are on the lower end of the income scale would agree with me.Tough I respect the views of everyone in this discussion I really have no choice but to do that... (that is if it is needed FS might read the disk once and not have it spinning all the time then i wont bother with a NO-CD hack)>One of the purposes of "hacking" is to get your name out there>to show that you "cracked" a piece of software, and what>better way of distributing said software than to pirate it.Yes now it is.. A hacker used to be a guy that could take a bit of code and streamline it now its just a dirty word.>When I used to pirate/hack Commodore 64 software there was>absolutely noone who "just hacked". That animal doesn't>exist, which puts you in quite the moral dillema.But i think you are genralizing this subject a bit. Back when you were pirateing commodore 64 stuff there would have been hackers but in the old sence not in the new sence of the word :)Anyway my 2c... heck should be 4c now :)