Sign in to follow this  
Guest Disasterman

Format or not format? x32 or x64 for fsx? Big deal?

Guest Disasterman

Hello everyone, I have Intel core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz Nvidia GT280 1GB with 4GB RAM BUT my OS is XP x32 so it recognizes only 3GB of RAM.I run fsx with many addons and I am happy with the performance most of the time but sometimes when I use a PMDG a/c the fsx crashes telling me I run out of memory (not every time).I am in a big delimma should I format my PC and install an x64 OS or it whould not make any big difference in FSX?Format is a big deal in this case cause I have installed 100GB software only for FSX and I have to re-install many other things also after format.I am absolutely confused and I' d like your opinion abou this.Thanks in advance!

Guest norm99
Hello everyone, I have Intel core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz Nvidia GT280 1GB with 4GB RAM BUT my OS is XP x32 so it recognizes only 3GB of RAM.I run fsx with many addons and I am happy with the performance most of the time but sometimes when I use a PMDG a/c the fsx crashes telling me I run out of memory (not every time).I am in a big delimma should I format my PC and install an x64 OS or it whould not make any big difference in FSX?Format is a big deal in this case cause I have installed 100GB software only for FSX and I have to re-install many other things also after format.I am absolutely confused and I' d like your opinion abou this.Thanks in advance!
Have a look here... there is a section on OOM problems.Norman
Have a look here... there is a section on OOM problems.Norman
Sorry, forgot the link...http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Guest FSXBuster

Reformat with a 64 bit OS.Utilize more RAM, and a fresh install beats everything IMO!Actually I do it once every 3 months or so, keeps me sharp and hopefully Alzheimers away. :(

Guest marquisor
Reformat with a 64 bit OS.Utilize more RAM, and a fresh install beats everything IMO!Actually I do it once every 3 months or so, keeps me sharp and hopefully Alzheimers away. :(
it'll not a BIG increase what you say, but i recommend going for x64 win 7. don't install vista!so dx10 would work, framerate is nice... for me it's 20-40% faster, more fluid ... than on xp/vista.but drivers changed, and this is only a feeling. same rig though

Guest FSXBuster

Why are ppl so obsessed with DX10 in FSX??It's just a preview and it's crap, sorry! They never completed it, like so much else in this weird "Game"...Stay with XP64 - find the Superior XP somewhere, only abt. 250 Mb OS imprint, and you will never ever go with Win7!I have Win7 64 bit, but only for fun and testing FSX aircraft and scenery so I dont F.U. my main gig, the awesome Windows 64 Superior edition.BTW: The 182.50 Nvidia driver is still the best for FSX no matter what OS. FSX is an old retarded dinosaur of a resource hog and that wont change no matter what, because the CASE or rather ACES is closed - permanently closed!

Not sure if it's possible. But create a partition on your hdd and transfer ur fsx stuff to it.Then install a 64bit OS if it's possible then u retain ur fsx install.Failing that reformat and install a 64bit OS it's definitely of benefit to have 4gb of ram or more especially with that CPU.

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Guest marquisor
Why are ppl so obsessed with DX10 in FSX??It's just a preview and it's crap, sorry! They never completed it, like so much else in this weird "Game"...Stay with XP64 - find the Superior XP somewhere, only abt. 250 Mb OS imprint, and you will never ever go with Win7!I have Win7 64 bit, but only for fun and testing FSX aircraft and scenery so I dont F.U. my main gig, the awesome Windows 64 Superior edition.BTW: The 182.50 Nvidia driver is still the best for FSX no matter what OS. FSX is an old retarded dinosaur of a resource hog and that wont change no matter what, because the CASE or rather ACES is closed - permanently closed!
for me dx10 looks good and it's worth the preview. period. it's not only FSX "game" what demands or takes advantage/utilizes dx10. dx11 is on the way. win7 is the future OS for those. vista is crap. so for the long run you'll have to choose win7. fsx runs better than on any OS before on my rig (quad/4870/4gb). your personal dislike of fsx doesn't answer a question here.@Disasterman:32/64 bit, well choose 64bit. some benchmarks prove and overall system performance can only be better. though i doubt fsx takes advantage.

You can use 4GB of system memory when using the 'boot.ini' parameters '/3GB /userva=2650' (without the quotes) for FSX.You have nice hardware so why not get W7 Prof x64?!We all have gone through the new O/S party at least once if not a few times.

To answer the OP I would like to recommend a 64 bit win 7 OS. Avoid OOM errors - get 64 bit OS.As for Dx 10 preview, it looks bad - REALLY BAD on my system. I would avoid it!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You can use 4GB of system memory when using the 'boot.ini' parameters '/3GB /userva=2650' (without the quotes) for FSX.
Hmmm.. not really!The 3GB switch may well cure the OOM errors, by allowing a bigger address space for the application, at the expense of the OS,but to make use of more system memory, you need a 64 bit OS.

Bert