Sign in to follow this  
Youngpilot

FSX crashes always

Good evening everybodyI've got a big problem and I don't know how to solve it:I have installed the PMDG MD11 under Vista 32bit and it was running very well.Now I have installed Windows 7 64bit, and the PMDG MD11 was not running very well (everything was black). So I decided to uninstall it and try to install it again. But now my FSX crashes everytime I want to start it!I tried to install MD11 again, uninstall again and I tried to reset the FSX.cfg. I tried nearly everything, my FSX always crash?! :( I don't know what to do now, I've tried everything I could.Now I need some professional help from the experts :) Please help, I don't know if I could survive without FSX :( Kind regardsRoman

Guest meirumeiru
Good evening everybodyI've got a big problem and I don't know how to solve it:I have installed the PMDG MD11 under Vista 32bit and it was running very well.Now I have installed Windows 7 64bit, and the PMDG MD11 was not running very well (everything was black). So I decided to uninstall it and try to install it again. But now my FSX crashes everytime I want to start it!I tried to install MD11 again, uninstall again and I tried to reset the FSX.cfg. I tried nearly everything, my FSX always crash?! :( I don't know what to do now, I've tried everything I could.Now I need some professional help from the experts :) Please help, I don't know if I could survive without FSX :( Kind regardsRoman
That's why I wrote the "Flight Simulator Installer", because then the uninstallation removes everything and not only half of the product ... but developers of addons didn't want to use it... they didn't even try it !! (PMDG also didn't want to try it...)but anyway, we have to solve a problem now...in the logfiles of Windows (Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Event Log) you will find the Windows logs and there the Application-Part... there you should find some information about the FSX.exe process that crashed... we need this info to find out what happened...regards, Rudolf

That's why I wrote the "Flight Simulator Installer", because then the uninstallation removes everything and not only half of the product ... but developers of addons didn't want to use it... they didn't even try it !! (PMDG also didn't want to try it...)but anyway, we have to solve a problem now...in the logfiles of Windows (Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Event Log) you will find the Windows logs and there the Application-Part... there you should find some information about the FSX.exe process that crashed... we need this info to find out what happened...regards, Rudolf
Hi RudolfDo you mean this?unbenanntbd.jpgWhat do I have to choose to see the logfile? I don't have a menu like "FSX" oder "Flight Simulator". Thanks for your help!Roman

Hi RudolfDo you mean this?What do I have to choose to see the logfile? I don't have a menu like "FSX" oder "Flight Simulator". Thanks for your help!Roman
Hi Roman,Like Rudolf said you could go "Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Event Log", or try it this way:
  • Right click "My Computer" (your icon in the start menu or if you have it on your desktop)
  • Choose "Manage"
  • Under "System Tools" expand "Event Viewer"
  • Then exapand "Windows Logs"
  • Highlight "Application" and it will
  • show you all recorder errors for applications.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on the event logs when things crash. You might want to also highlight "System" to see if there are any errors.Most systems (ok all) will have some errors, you are looking for specific. So if FSX crashes, check the event logs and you should see an App error for that time.Highlight it, and it will display more info, and a link for "Event Log Online Help".Speaking of help, hope this does.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Okay i've got the Log:What is the "visualfx.dll"? Can I try to delete it?Good EveningRoman
Haha, it's thinking like that, that keeps me in business. NO, do not delete it (unless you lived closer so I could fix your comp).Have you tried clicking on the links? The one in the event log there? Unfortunately, I don't know but just google "visualfx.dll", there are a few discussions about it, just don't click on any sites that say to download it.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Haha, it's thinking like that, that keeps me in business. NO, do not delete it (unless you lived closer so I could fix your comp).Have you tried clicking on the links? The one in the event log there? Unfortunately, I don't know but just google "visualfx.dll", there are a few discussions about it, just don't click on any sites that say to download it.
Okay then i better not delete it :( Yes i've tried to click on the link but then the message appears: "No solution found for your problem" :(

Guest meirumeiru
Okay i've got the Log:27498542.jpgPart2:18890077.jpgWhat is the "visualfx.dll"? Can I try to delete it?Good EveningRoman
Ok... so the visualfx.dll (as far as I know this must be a part of the acceleration pack for FSX) produces a "NULL pointer exception"... (it tryes to read or write something to non existing memory) ... unfortunatelly knowing this doesn't help much... so, some more questions first:1) did FSX run ever? or did you always have these problems?2) when have you installed the MD-11 ? ... directly after the FSX setup or did you use FSX first without the MD-11? ...3) when did you install the acceleration pack (and did you install it?) ... was SP1, SP2 installed?4) have you installed also other addon packages?... this might help to find a strategy to eliminate the problem... (I think it's a registry problem... but that's speculation for now...)

Uninstalling FSX SP2 or Acceleration and then re-installing it has solved a few odd problems recently. Just a thought.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you had a Registry Scan it would fix the problem with your visualfx.dll file. Try a freeware version and see if it helps to make a scan.http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/visualfx// Leffe
I tried that with the Freeware Version. It sais it has found several problems bout with the Freeware Version I can only remove 15 of them. I removed this 15 but FSX still crashes.
Ok... so the visualfx.dll (as far as I know this must be a part of the acceleration pack for FSX) produces a "NULL pointer exception"... (it tryes to read or write something to non existing memory) ... unfortunatelly knowing this doesn't help much... so, some more questions first:1) did FSX run ever? or did you always have these problems?2) when have you installed the MD-11 ? ... directly after the FSX setup or did you use FSX first without the MD-11? ...3) when did you install the acceleration pack (and did you install it?) ... was SP1, SP2 installed?4) have you installed also other addon packages?... this might help to find a strategy to eliminate the problem... (I think it's a registry problem... but that's speculation for now...)
1. Yes FSX run perfectly on my system. The problems exist since I''ve installed the PMDG MD112. Used FSX about 4 months without any problems. Then I installed the MD11 and now I can't start FSX anymore.3. I installed Acceleration after I installed FSX. I think there was SP1 installed before I installed Acceleration, but I'm not quite sure about that.4. Yes I have installed a lot of other addon packages but they were all perfectly working. The problem occured after installing PMDG MD11.
Uninstalling FSX SP2 or Acceleration and then re-installing it has solved a few odd problems recently. Just a thought.
I've tried this but FSX still crashes :( Roman

Guest meirumeiru

OK ... so then I would like to analyze the following registry key:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\LaunchWhat does it contain? ... you can try to export this key if it contains something, then delete it and see if the FSX still crashes... if the problem is solved, you can then try to find out which specific entry causes the problem and put the rest back again...YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULL WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY...this can cause severe problems and loss of data... you can inform yourself about the registry here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

OK ... so then I would like to analyze the following registry key:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\LaunchWhat does it contain? ... you can try to export this key if it contains something, then delete it and see if the FSX still crashes... if the problem is solved, you can then try to find out which specific entry causes the problem and put the rest back again...YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULL WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY...this can cause severe problems and loss of data... you can inform yourself about the registry here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
Hmmm this key is empty...Is this normal? Or should it contain someting?

Guest meirumeiru
Hmmm this key is empty...Is this normal? Or should it contain someting?
No, it can be empty... that's ok...... but in this case ... I don't see a direct link between the MD-11 and these crashes. Did you change your graphics card? Or install a new driver for it? ... or did you install an other game that installed a different/old version of DirectX over the one that is already installed? ...Otherwise... maybe you should again try to uninstall everything, then delete (or at least rename) all folders that are still left on your harddisk and delete all keys (HKCU and HKLM Keys) of FSX. ... if you install this now, it might work...or, you can try to use the process explorer or sysmon from sysinternals to generate log files of what fsx is loading at startup... we could then compare this and find out what the difference is...

No, it can be empty... that's ok...... but in this case ... I don't see a direct link between the MD-11 and these crashes. Did you change your graphics card? Or install a new driver for it? ... or did you install an other game that installed a different/old version of DirectX over the one that is already installed? ...Otherwise... maybe you should again try to uninstall everything, then delete (or at least rename) all folders that are still left on your harddisk and delete all keys (HKCU and HKLM Keys) of FSX. ... if you install this now, it might work...or, you can try to use the process explorer or sysmon from sysinternals to generate log files of what fsx is loading at startup... we could then compare this and find out what the difference is...
No I didn't change anything or install something new. I only installed MD11 and since than FSX isn't running anymore. If possible I don't want to install FSX new, is a lot of work with all the add ons...