Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Converted to W7 today...

...and both FSX and FS9 runs full tilt! I was lucky to be able to upgrade my Dell 730X with using only native W7 drivers for all my stuff. No left over Vista, and whether that is good or bad, who knows? But...I can tell you that I have just as good, or perhaps better performance from both platforms with having done the upgrade. I still pound away at 30 FPS (using the FPS lock software) in FSX and my locked 60 FPS in FS9.If anybody is worried about migrating from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate with regard to both FSX and FS9.....don't be. I did an 'upgrade to' path...and it went absolutely without a hitch.Mitch Post Edit: BTW, all my programs, those that are for flight sim'ming...and those that are NOT, legacy etc...ALL run as they should via Windows 7. Just thought to point that out also.

...and both FSX and FS9 runs full tilt! I was lucky to be able to upgrade my Dell 730X with using only native W7 drivers for all my stuff. No left over Vista, and whether that is good or bad, who knows? But...I can tell you that I have just as good, or perhaps better performance from both platforms with having done the upgrade. I still pound away at 30 FPS in FSX and my locked 60 FPS in FS9.If anybody is worried about migrating from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate with regard to both FSX and FS9.....don't be. I did an 'upgrade to' path...and it went absolutely without a hitch.Mitch
I agree, same here...Win 7 64b and FSX running much smoother than ever before,including Vista 64

I agree, same here...Win 7 64b and FSX running much smoother than ever before,including Vista 64
Be warned: anybody expecting an upgrade from a properly set-up installation of Vista64 to Win7 64 to produce dazzling performance improvements is going to be sorely disappointed.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Be warned: anybody expecting an upgrade from a properly set-up installation of Vista64 to Win7 64 to produce dazzling performance improvements is going to be sorely disappointed.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
I agree with Bob. I dual boot with XP64 and have yet to get things ironed out in W7 to get acceptable performance from FSX. I can't seem to shake repeated microstutters even though frames are locked and never budge. My hardware is just slightly slower than Mitch's though... :( Glad everyone else is happy with their installs.

Regards, Kendall

I agree with Bob. I dual boot with XP64 and have yet to get things ironed out in W7 to get acceptable performance from FSX. I can't seem to shake repeated microstutters even though frames are locked and never budge. My hardware is just slightly slower than Mitch's though... :( Glad everyone else is happy with their installs.
----------------------------------------You're kidding!?!?!?Right from the get-go...I have had great performance! As one user above stated...dead smooth, right out of the gate. I was very worried that things would be screwed up on the transition, but much to the contrary...even with the FPS limiter software, the FPS want to bust out of the high 50's even though I have them tagged down at 30. Very, very smooth, and am most delighted with all that W7 brings to the table. A nice feature improvement and G.U.I. over Vista. Is it measurably better than Vista? That is a subjective observation as per user. I just know..that this morning I had Vista...and now I have W7..and won't be rolling ANYTHING back. This is what probably Microsoft WANTED Vista to be.... :) Again, both flight sims run smooth and steady. It all depends on how tuned your system is and the horsepower 'under the hood', I guess..... Post Edit: I also upgraded to nHancer 2.5.7 the latest, and am running W7 nVidia drivers 195.62. I was running 182.5 under Vista...but find the colors and everything else so much more intense and clear with the 195.62 package. Certainly no loss of performance, gained if anything!

Mitch -Glad you're getting those results, and thanks for the report. I've been contemplating an in-place upgrade from Vista 64 Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium (my FSX is way too customized for me to think about a re-installation - it'd take months) so this is encouraging. Am I right in understanding that you did an in-place upgrade? That's the way it reads but I wanted to be sure.An additional question - apart from upgrading NHancer and switching to W7 drivers, did you do anything else to tune Windows 7? Had you been using a tuned version of Vista 64? I'm using Nick Needham's recommended setup for Vista 64, and would expect to have to do the same (or similar) to W7, so was wondering if you found that to be the case.Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.Best,Alan

Mitch -Glad you're getting those results, and thanks for the report. I've been contemplating an in-place upgrade from Vista 64 Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium (my FSX is way too customized for me to think about a re-installation - it'd take months) so this is encouraging. Am I right in understanding that you did an in-place upgrade? That's the way it reads but I wanted to be sure.An additional question - apart from upgrading NHancer and switching to W7 drivers, did you do anything else to tune Windows 7? Had you been using a tuned version of Vista 64? I'm using Nick Needham's recommended setup for Vista 64, and would expect to have to do the same (or similar) to W7, so was wondering if you found that to be the case.Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.Best,Alan---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Alan,To answer your questions, this is what I did this morning. In my upgrade package from Dell, I had a DVD Windows 7 Assistant disk and the actual W7 Ultimate DVD. The instructions from Dell, were to put first in the Assistant Disk, so that it could tune the system for the upgrade, and also identify any software or drivers that would give W7 'intestinal gas....). That being done, I was instructed to then insert the W7 Ultimate disk and choose whether to keep all files and software (of which I did :)))) ) or for a 'clean install'. I chose the keep files/upgrade path...tapped the enter..and then sat back and watched while the W7 install did its thing. It took about an hour for all the (many...) segments of the install process. At the end, I was asked to type in my license...and was then off to the flight sim'ming races! :)This was for W7 Ultimate. I had absolutely no issues with the install! All of my programs that ran under Vista are also running under W7. I can tell you this...that Vista is a slow DOG compared to how fast programs open, and most everything else associated with the O.S. To say that W7 is merely and marginally better than Vista..is having me scratch my head in wonderment! Vista (x) SLOWW7 (x) Warp Drive. :)Da's all folks... Have fun Alan...and no worries for ya. It you have a Dell with the Assistant Disk (they did a great job as usual!) you are breezin'.... :)Mitch

----------------------------------------You're kidding!?!?!?Right from the get-go...I have had great performance! As one user above stated...dead smooth, right out of the gate. I was very worried that things would be screwed up on the transition, but much to the contrary...even with the FPS limiter software, the FPS want to bust out of the high 50's even though I have them tagged down at 30. Very, very smooth, and am most delighted with all that W7 brings to the table. A nice feature improvement and G.U.I. over Vista. Is it measurably better than Vista? That is a subjective observation as per user. I just know..that this morning I had Vista...and now I have W7..and won't be rolling ANYTHING back. This is what probably Microsoft WANTED Vista to be.... :) Again, both flight sims run smooth and steady. It all depends on how tuned your system is and the horsepower 'under the hood', I guess..... Post Edit: I also upgraded to nHancer 2.5.7 the latest, and am running W7 nVidia drivers 195.62. I was running 182.5 under Vista...but find the colors and everything else so much more intense and clear with the 195.62 package. Certainly no loss of performance, gained if anything!
No Mitch, unfortunately I'm not kidding and I have seen some others saying some of the same things, but for the most part I've read of many (like you) who are very happy with their transition and performance of FSX - glad it's been so smooth for you. Even though I'm at 4.1 on an 8500 I am sure your 975 I7 and GPU would certainly help aleviate some of my issues. :( I also like to push the sliders, but so far I just can't seem to shake the microstutters that I do not have with my XP setup (they are identical installs). The one thing I will say about W7 is my overclock seems much more stable. I'll keep messin' and hopefully it will get it sorted out, but meantime I'll continue to enjoy my XP64 until I'm satisfied.Edit: I'm not saying that XP is better than W7 as an OS - I would easily drop XP for it in a heartbeat if it were not for my isues with FSX. W7 is lean, snappy and has some very nice features - what Vista should have been...

Regards, Kendall

No Mitch, unfortunately I'm not kidding and I have seen some others saying some of the same things, but for the most part I've read of many (like you) who are very happy with their transition and performance of FSX - glad it's been so smooth for you. Even though I'm at 4.1 on an 8500 I am sure your 975 I7 and GPU would certainly help aleviate some of my issues. :( I also like to push the sliders, but so far I just can't seem to shake the microstutters that I do not have with my XP setup (they are identical installs). The one thing I will say about W7 is my overclock seems much more stable. I'll keep messin' and hopefully it will get it sorted out, but meantime I'll continue to enjoy my XP64 until I'm satisfied.Edit: I'm not saying that XP is better than W7 as an OS - I would easily drop XP for it in a heartbeat if it were not for my isues with FSX. W7 is lean, snappy and has some very nice features - what Vista should have been...
--------------------------------------------------------------Oh heck, XP is a great O.S. I have XP Pro 32 bit on my P4 3.4GHz. I don't think that for the cost, if I had XP 64 bit, for flight sim'ing, that I would have popped for W7 Ult. I got it as a free upgrade. So hence, the install. I have been customizing it all afternoon and evening. Do I like it? You BET I do! Don't let anybody kid you...this O.S. is very, very quick to respond to requests from any software. I can only believe that the better use of resources has a major play in this. With Vista 64, there was always a slight lag upon opening software. With W7 Ultimate....instantaneous. Your software is open and running before you have a chance to blink..lol!Mitch

--------------------------------------------------------------Oh heck, XP is a great O.S. I have XP Pro 32 bit on my P4 3.4GHz. I don't think that for the cost, if I had XP 64 bit, for flight sim'ing, that I would have popped for W7 Ult. I got it as a free upgrade. So hence, the install. I have been customizing it all afternoon and evening. Do I like it? You BET I do! Don't let anybody kid you...this O.S. is very, very quick to respond to requests from any software. I can only believe that the better use of resources has a major play in this. With Vista 64, there was always a slight lag upon opening software. With W7 Ultimate....instantaneous. Your software is open and running before you have a chance to blink..lol!Mitch
Again,I,m with Mitch on this...I bought FSX when it first came out...Ran on XP 32 SP3..Then Vista 32,then Vista 64 and now Win 7 64 and it has never run better...i7 920@3.9,gtx285,12g ram(don,t ask,long story)etc,blah,blah,blah....Long story short.I,ll never go backwards....Lou WD4ODV..Soon to be N1472Q in RW

Again,I,m with Mitch on this...I bought FSX when it first came out...Ran on XP 32 SP3..Then Vista 32,then Vista 64 and now Win 7 64 and it has never run better...i7 920@3.9,gtx285,12g ram(don,t ask,long story)etc,blah,blah,blah....Long story short.I,ll never go backwards....Lou WD4ODV..Soon to be N1472Q in RW
I had loads of problems with Vista 32 but everything including fsx is running great on Win7 64 bit-I couldn't be happier.

Windows 7 has been the best operating system I have ever had, and then some. I had a relatively trouble free experience with Vista 64 before that. Such slick software and great running machinery makes life a little boring. Maybe I should start tweaking again!Stephen

To ANYBODY that states..that you will NOT see SUPERIOR performance from Windows 7 (Ultimate..or perhaps, whatever...) much over Vista 64 ..is very much mistaken. Yeah..my personal opinion in play.To heck with any techno-burble that might be put up to say it can't make that much a difference.... The on-screen clarity and color is fanTASTIC! The 182.5 nVidia Vista driver suite is a dinosaur in graphic performance when compared to this dedicated W7 195.62 driver suite being run under W7, and also via nHancer 2.5.7. I am getting the BEST possible clarity and STELLER performance in smooth 'n easy motion than anything I have ever used before this install. I take back my saying that I'd only install W7 if it were free, as it came to me. If I went to a friend's house and saw live what I am seeing on my system...I'd be first whipping by a store for MY COPY of W7 Ultimate EVER before I made it back home! Oh yeah....I'm not going to argue. I'm not going to debate. This is my personal opinion...in running this setup. Other will have theirs...It is absolutely THE BEST! Absolutely fantastic!Back to Aussie Blue, as near real as I imagine it can get, other than being there.... :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))Flame it, Baby..for I will be too busy flying to get 'lit up'. :) !

Thanks, Mitch. I'm not on a Dell - my FS rig is homebuilt (specs below). So I don't have access to the Windows 7 Assistant, unless it's this package. If so, your experience suggests it's worth a try. Do you know offhand if what Dell gave you was the Laplink program, or something else?I'm pretty satisfied with my Vista 64 performance so part of my says that if it ain't broke... on the other hand, reports like yours make me eager to make the move. Will probably have to talk to myself a little more about it but knowing what I do about myself, I suspect I'll get around to the upgrade sooner rather than later.Thanks again!Alan

Guest FSXBuster

This is funny!OFF COURSE people will see a massive improvement going from Vista to Vista 7 - oops... Windows 7!Going from a mean, slim and trimmed Windows XP 64 bit to Windows 7 is a disappointment, but you will never know that, you never tried XP!