Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Converted to W7 today...

To ANYBODY that states..that you will NOT see SUPERIOR performance from Windows 7 (Ultimate..or perhaps, whatever...) much over Vista 64 ..is very much mistaken. Yeah..my personal opinion in play.
You know Mitch, I wish I had a nickel for every overcapitalized, emotional, overzealous testamonial post I've seen you make here. It reminds me of the old Papa Tango ads, dripping with overstated hyperbole.Win 7 makes your display's color and clarity better? YGTBSM. Does your PC run quieter on Win7, too?? Caveat Emptor, folks. If you're looking to move up to 64-bit from a 32-bit OS, then by all means go for Win7 64. But a lateral upgrade from XP64 or Vista64 isn't going to rock your world unless your previous installation was boofered to start with. At the very least, do some more research. Read some of Mitch's previous threads and see how many times he's drilled down and struck genuuuuine 100% Snake Oil.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

You know Mitch, I wish I had a nickel for every overcapitalized, emotional, overzealous testamonial post I've seen you make here. It reminds me of the old Papa Tango ads, dripping with overstated hyperbole.Win 7 makes your display's color and clarity better? YGTBSM. Does your PC run quieter on Win7, too?? Caveat Emptor, folks. If you're looking to move up to 64-bit from a 32-bit OS, then by all means go for Win7 64. But a lateral upgrade from XP64 or Vista64 isn't going to rock your world unless your previous installation was boofered to start with. At the very least, do some more research. Read some of Mitch's previous threads and see how many times he's drilled down and struck genuuuuine 100% Snake Oil.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Steady Bob - straight and level? The only thing I'll say is that most anything these days ('specially CPU hog FSX) should run and look like bliss using an I7 975 - that's what you're hooked up to, right Mitch? Seems about par for a $1000 processor.......glad it's been good for you.

Regards, Kendall

Be warned: anybody expecting an upgrade from a properly set-up installation of Vista64 to Win7 64 to produce dazzling performance improvements is going to be sorely disappointed.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Weill I gotta say my experience so far is one of improvement, so it is possible

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

----------------------------------------------------------------YGTBSMR? Uh...no, Bob, I'm not. Oh..as for does it make the computer quieter? Not that I have noticed, LOLOLOLOL! But it does make it (See capital/over emotional outburst------>) THE BEST O.S. I I have ever had on a P.C. so far. Using it all night...flying all night, customizing it all night,....and so good that I now as a last act before bed, am going to overwrite my full VISTA backup with the W7 lot. Never going back...Have a good one! :)) As my post brought a smile to your lips, yours did as well for myself. No offense ever taken. Never! :)) Geez..my name associated with Papa Tango. I don't believe that I have every asked anyone to send me money on false claims, LOL. I guess that I have REALLY gone down hill in my posts,...geez...S.O.M, or, 'Snake Oil Mitch' for short, LOLOLOL! :) Have a good weekend.

This is funny!OFF COURSE people will see a massive improvement going from Vista to Vista 7 - oops... Windows 7!Going from a mean, slim and trimmed Windows XP 64 bit to Windows 7 is a disappointment, but you will never know that, you never tried XP!
-----------------------------------------------------I can imagine that. In my W7 pathway, I have only owned XP Pro 32 bit. I'm not saying that XP sucks in any way, shape or form. I NEVER said that Vista 64 sucked but compared to W7's overall system performance, was DOG slow, and...it is!. I was using and enjoying it while I was waiting for a program to be converted/upgraded for W7 use. Only then, did I dip my W7 toes into the water, and not without some trepidation. Oh yeah...on the last statement. It proved to be a cake walk with my fears non deserved in retrospect.I'm only stating that IF, someone wants to go with the latest, Use W7, at least the 195.X drivers, and nHancer 2.5.7. Make sure you reapply your monitors color. icm file after the upgrade, try to use as many authentic W7 drivers as possible (I was fortunate to migrate to all W7 drivers for my hardware), and sit back and enjoy the performance in speed, features, stability, and in closing, have a blast flying!Snake Oil (I like that....lol) Mitch

Steady Bob - straight and level? The only thing I'll say is that most anything these days ('specially CPU hog FSX) should run and look like bliss using an I7 975 - that's what you're hooked up to, right Mitch? Seems about par for a $1000 processor.......glad it's been good for you.
Yeppers, an i7-975 snake-oiled upto 4.1 GHz, my 1066 MHz 6 Gigs snaked upto 1337 MHz and now running as stated here on a W7 Ultimate 'upgrade pathway' system, with an GTX285 (actual Nvidia issue) being powered by the latest driver suite (195.62) and the latest nHancer 2.5.7. software. It's been 'oiled' to death all night long...and now I need to hit the sack for the eyes are bugging out....LOL! :)Have a good one!

Thanks, Mitch. I'm not on a Dell - my FS rig is homebuilt (specs below). So I don't have access to the Windows 7 Assistant, unless it's this package. If so, your experience suggests it's worth a try. Do you know offhand if what Dell gave you was the Laplink program, or something else?I'm pretty satisfied with my Vista 64 performance so part of my says that if it ain't broke... on the other hand, reports like yours make me eager to make the move. Will probably have to talk to myself a little more about it but knowing what I do about myself, I suspect I'll get around to the upgrade sooner rather than later.Thanks again!Alan
Alan, I suggest you contact Dell, and ask them about the Assistant DVD disk they package with their upgrade W7 Disks, and find out if it is their in-house production, or a re-wrapper of what you posted. Maybe it can run for any W7 installation, non-Dell issue. THAT...I have no idea if so. If this interests you, give 'em a call/email. Vista 64 works fine. W7 works better....and faster.Mitch'er

My experience with FSX:XP32 - Lots of problemsXP64 - Great, none of the sound and texture problems that some people are experiencing with W7 and Vista.Vista - OK, micro stutters, some texture problems with certain planes.W7 - OK, lower sustainable FPS than XP64 and some micro stutters.I'm sticking with XP64 until I can see some tangable benefits. I can understand moving from XP32 to 64bit as you will see improvements but I'm just not buying this W7 is a utopia fanfare thats going on. I suspect its simply the benefits of resolving an initially bodged install if moving from Vista.

Stephen Munn