Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

Trying to get snow in UK

Hi,I am trying to replicate flying in the UK duing the cold spell we are having and an also using AV6 for the real weather but whenever I begin a fligth I am still seenig autumn textures so the countryside is brown and green fields.Should I be seeing wintery textures for todays date or is there a way to get the winter textures to show in the uk for this time of year?I have GE pro ground textures.Thanks

Can't you simply got to the "date and time" part of the "create a flight" screen, and choose "winter" under "season"?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I have tried that but if you choose winter but "User Defined weather" ni the UK you do not get snowy ground textures.I only get snowy ground textures if I choose the Heavy Snow theme but then I do not get real weather?

Hi,I am trying to replicate flying in the UK duing the cold spell we are having and an also using AV6 for the real weather but whenever I begin a fligth I am still seenig autumn textures so the countryside is brown and green fields.Should I be seeing wintery textures for todays date or is there a way to get the winter textures to show in the uk for this time of year?I have GE pro ground textures.Thanks
This may answer your questions:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=206279John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

HelloAs a fellow UK based simmer your post interested me.i do know that if i fly anywhere in Europe at the moment (and even down into Greece the other day) it was white snowy textures all the way.I have just tried an experiment setting an aircraft at Southampton and Glasgow airport and trying both the default and Activesky current weather downloads and with both there where no signs of snowy textures or indeed any falling snow,so no joy i am afraid.PS have just looked out of my window and more of the damn stuff is falling again.PPS there was a satellite picture in the papers the other day that showed the whole of the British Isles completely white(very unusual).Unfortunately for whatever reason FS9 does not seem able to show this.I suppose apart from the heavy snow of last February and this current Arctic blast the winters of the past fifteen years have been (certainly here in the south anyway)very mild with sometimes hardly a frost let alone the freezing blizzardy horribleness the good lord has blessed us with this January,so in those cases the autumnal textures would have been correct.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I flew from EGSS to Paris on Thursday using Active sky, Weather conditions matched the METAR and I saw snow over the south east UK on climb out so just letting you know it should be working for you.

Rob Prest

Hello Last night I thought i would try a flight from EGAA-LIRP the route would cover a lot of the U.K. and give those snow textures a chance to reveal themselves.Coming south from the Liverpool area there where plenty of snowy textures,but heading further south towards London(Midlands) these became patchy,crossing the Kent area there was again plenty of snow.I suppose you could call this a partial success as the whole of the U.K. is in fact completely snowed up at the moment.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

You're going to need a texture replacement package that swaps default winter (not hard winter) textures with more realistic ones. Of course, they only look good and realistic in the area where there is winter, so if you plan to arrive to snowy UK from the Bahamas, it's not possible.The only texture replacement I know is this, but indeed it looks good: http://secure.simmarket.com/samoshin-natur...ld-winter.phtmlI also remember someone made a freeware addon for FS2002 that somehow used the smoketrail effect to simulate accumulating snow close to the aircraft. Can't remember if it was ported over to FS9 though..

Hi.I saw the link to sim market and the product.Looks nice, but a pitty we have to buy yet another add-on to get it looking right.IE we have FE, GE Pro, ASv, and REX but still we need to buy something else, when will it ever stop :(