Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Snow trouble

I am having some issues with the way the snow is depicted in FSX. I am using switzerland Pro and some Frank dianese scenery, in the Alps, and have noticed areas where the snow is looking almost like digital camoflage, or is very grey in colour. Here are some screenies to illustrate. 2010-1-9_17-21-24-500.jpg2010-1-9_18-34-34-650.jpg2010-1-9_18-36-33-382.jpgDoes anyone know what is causing this and how it can be rectified?Cheers, mark

Looks like the grey area's are trying to represent shadows, i.e. parts of the terrain that are out of direct sunlight.EDIT: Actually the more I look at it, it appears this isn't the case, nevermind.

It's not snow it's granite. Rock faces to which the snow will not stick because the angle is too steep, the slope too severe, or which face direct sunlight so allowing a thaw. Have you actually seen mountains in snow..? Try Google images.

Hi Snave, I disagree, in the last picture, you can clearly see the granite sticking up through the grey/light brown snow, it is textured, like rock, also, that slope is almost flat....Its like the snow is not shaded white, you can see the very distinct join where there is a strip of default scenery between the Switzerland pro stuff and Frank Dianese's scenery. The default scenery snow is bright white, the switzerland pro stuff that my plane is right over, is a kind of browny grey. Its just in certain areas, other snow in the package is bright white...And the switzerland Pro scenery is compiled from pictures, its photoreal...The "digitised" squares, I thought might be the per pixel resolution showing up, but the squares are much bigger than the 1m per pixel resolution I am using for the textures.cheers, Mark

Hello Mark,I imagine that what you observe is purely a function of the source image, and not any particular problem with your computer or settings.The developer either used source images that looked like that, or more likely, toned down the pure white (RGB=255,255,255) pixels since the standard control file (inf file) for making photo-real textures converts pure white to transparencies. It seems he went too far in dulling the pure white and made it gray. He could have just changed one level of color value (which would have given a still very white color), or even better simply eliminated the transparency entry from the control file.Anyway, there is nothing you can do to change that now, although you could make the scenery over again if you are not intimidated by the process (that is pretty easy, by the way.)Best regards.Luis

Luis,Could you describe this 'easy' process as it doesn't look so easy to me, other than editing every texture with snow in it.Thanks, IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Luiz, that sounds like its the issue to me, please do elaborate on the process. From my own dabblings in making scenery ( I have global mapper), I have a basic understanding, although i am not sure how i could edit the .bgl files. I could just about manage to figure out how to edit the source images, but obviously, i do not have them, just the finished product. Cheers, Mark

Hmm, excuse me, gentlemen, perhaps I was not completely clear, although English is my native language. I wrote "there is nothing you can do to change that now, although you could make the scenery over again if you are not intimidated by the process (that is pretty easy, by the way)" and I meant that the scenery creation process is easy, not that it is easy to edit the image in the bgl (which is impossible as far as I know.)To learn how one can easily make photo-real ground textures, please see Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X, available in the Avsim library:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=140539Best regards.Luis