Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Interesting Job Openings...

...But there are also unknown unknowns.From working on similar projects I got used to this: Long periods of silence from the top and then sudden giant swings on the rudder.Often 95% of the team simply isn

Guest jonthedoors
The first position is for a working team lead supervising 2-3 developers. I'll speculate that this amounts to "See if you can make anything from the old FS code base" -- a low-cost low-commitment experiment.It's over, folks. Get used to it. Except for addons, what you own is what you get. Elvis has not left the building, he is dead.
I wouldn't speak to soon. With the response from the community, and general mystery surrounding any FS developments as of late you never know what may crawl out of the woodwork.It's always good to be optimistic.

Guest jonthedoors
The following two job openings have come to my attention. I choose at this time not to speculate on what they might portend for the future, but thought others here might wish to do so... :( The first opening is with Microsoft Canada, Aces Game Studio...http://www.microsoft-entertainment-jobs.co...al)-Job/693676/The second opening is with Microsoft USA, Microsoft Games Studio, Flight Live teamhttp://www.microsoft-entertainment-jobs.co...MGS-Job/653341/
I like this

Date: Jan 11, 2010This position has already been filled.
:( ???

"Microsoft Game Studios is investing significant resources in many exciting and new areas of gaming and entertainment, including Windows games. We believe these future investments will push innovation, community, and collaboration to unprecedented levels and will provide more synergy with our ongoing investments in Games for Windows - LIVE as well as other Windows entertainment technologies. We have nothing specific to announce at this time, but stay tuned for more information.We are humbled and proud of the passion and support that the Flight Simulator franchise has developed over its more than twenty-five year history. This includes you, the large community of flight simmers, as well as the vibrant third-party ecosystem that has developed around the game. We will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator as we plan for future versions of the franchise."This seemed rather unambiguous to me at the time it was announced and the job openings mentioned by the OP would seem to mesh with this statement.

Tim (Beatle) posted this at FS-Developer the other day:

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but someone just used an old job description for that posting (no idea why it's listed as in Vancouver), it's related to the same group in MGS that the earlier postings were. ACES is unfortunately dead and gone :-<
Note that this is directed only at the MS: Canada job posting... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Tim (Beatle) posted this at FS-Developer the other day:Note that this is directed only at the MS: Canada job posting... :(
Yea Beattle says ACES is dead- which it is! The new group may not be called ACES anymore but it seems Microsoft is definitely hiring for a new flight related game that going to be built for the windows live platform. And with the quote kevin posted it seems obvious Microsoft still have ambitions for the flight sim market. So yea, I am optimistic!

Speaking of the Master Chief, from reading the novella "Halo," it's very clear that the author knows absolutely nothing about the military, especially rank courtesies...In one scene he has naval officers saluting the "Master Chief," calling him "Sir," and him bossing them around for crying out loud!
In my time in the Royal Australian Navy, whilst an officer wouldn't salute a Chief, it was not unusual for a chief to order officers around. After all, the chief has all the experience. And the chief of the boat (in a submarine) has only slightly less rank than God himself, and in some cases commands more respect. Woe betide he who upsets the chief stoker. I ended up marrying my chief's daughter. :( Cheers, SLuggy

In my time in the Royal Australian Navy, whilst an officer wouldn't salute a Chief, it was not unusual for a chief to order officers around. After all, the chief has all the experience. And the chief of the boat (in a submarine) has only slightly less rank than God himself, and in some cases commands more respect. Woe betide he who upsets the chief stoker. I ended up marrying my chief's daughter. :( Cheers, SLuggy
Well, on further consideration, given that this particular "Master Chief" is a bio-mechanicaly augmented "super soldier," I suppose I'd even call him "Sir!" myself, just to be safe... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

He might be my father-in-law, and we both got out over ten years ago, but I still call him sir. Just to be safe! :( Cheers, SLuggy

I have written something about the new product here based on those posting since februar 2009http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...0485#post120485It is about what to expect - in part about some of the technicalities (first posts) and the usability (the last post) ...The name of the new product seems to circle around immersive flying experiences and will probably be Flight Live (the team name)BTW ESP and commercial use of the flight simulator code base has been handed over to mostly Lockheed who also got the IP rights while Microsoft gets paid if Lockheed creates a business for ESP.For reading my post about technical expectations ... please see here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...0485#post120485But I think the usuability issues would be important for the most people.Below I repeat the last post ... enjoyHere is a "back track" to the "flight live" phrase. Apparently, somebody stated flight live to be or become the name of the new team already around februar 2009. That is one year ago.http://bruceairllc.spaces.live.com/b...477!1725.entryExcept for that I do not agree with his mix of options in fs software and product changes in a new flying product. And I do hope Microsoft does not mix that up too. I think it should only be a matter of product packaging. I.e. how the software is configured out-of-the-box for different audiences. If just one configuration that will probably be for the wider audience but thats not the same as the flexibility of the software.It would not make sense according to decades of investments to talk about lowering the software quality. It is rather a matter of packaging when concerned with product management. So software quality is a different thing which actually maintains the flexibility in the software that product management needs to take decisions continuously on how to package or configure an application for some role out there. I.e. this time an out-of-the-box flying experience for Mr and Mrs Smith. At least what I presented here is something similar on how use and configuration of software flexibility is supposed to be. Concerned with software factories the whole idea is that you can virtually switch the software configuration for any application. I.e. you can have the Mr. and Mrs. Smith immersive experience if you want. That is actually something FSX has done pretty well so far. So product changes is really not something that needs software development if the software quality is all good and free of important problems. Software quality is rather a matter of decisions made about the out-of-the-box software configurations at the product management level. So I think FS must have a rather good state-of-the-art software quality - except now it also needs to run on xbox which will require some technical changes. Important for product management.Taking FS on to cutting edge must include cloud computing. FS already supported parallel computing. So the really new thing under the hood will be software services which I recon in the game experience case now a days is mostly for new deployment features - again improving the out-of-the-box experience. Important for product management.It will be interesting though to see how the software services will compose the collaboration between delegates in the software. What I really mean here is Microsoft will probably not allow anyone to disturb the game experience for Mr. and Mrs. Smith? They want certified 3rd party collaboration and only deployment from flight.live.com? Or will they just allow 3rd party collaboration? The great thing Microsoft has on FS is a huge community of 3rd party developers. So I hope product management wont ruin that for Microsoft if they only delegate the responsibility for the actual software configuration to themselves.I think that responsibility should be delegated to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. But out-of-the-box they can just choose to use the software configuration that experts already decided was best for them. Today users can already download gadgets, widgets that may or may not work. More people - especially the younger Mr and Mrs Smith are becoming experienced software users. So product management needs to change as well to understand that users over time become more advanced when compared to their former state as a group. They learn to use software ... so perspective on what is simple or basic also changes ... i.e. driving a car, tying your laces or use software is just trivial and not a real product management issue but an idiom hard thing until widespread use. Eventually bad software product management can make a product less effective for users and obscure the product. I.e. you only get an automated gear on your car and no options beyond that.What would be fun in using Flight Live - the replacement for Flight Simulator if its purpose is not to be a flight simulator - more or less independent of how you configure the software application?The Flight Live name may signal that product management has a hard time understanding that ... why not just be straight about the brand (even internally) and call it Flight Simulator Live. As an experiment product management could also do Flight Live ... a mix of up of all kinds of flying experences that is not about using flight on the personal level. I.e. you can just be a passenger looking out one of the left windows in the cabin. Microsoft could even offer an immersive experience with eighteen LEDs in somebodies hallway so when you pass through it would be walking through an aircrafts cabin seeing the scenery go by. It would only require a huge graphics expansion module ... rather an application for commercial flight in terms of investment interest ...The point here is that personal flight is about the use of flying being in the pilots seat thus why the heck is it not Flight Simulator Live? So I am a little worried ...May be it is about time the world gets project management (read: risk management) for product management (which are also "developers") ... So hopefully, Microsoft will keep Flight Live organized around flight simulation (again Flight Simulator Live). Perhaps the word "simulator" is scaring the wider audience ... that must be why the word is scraped now? At the end of the day all the most popular games are simulations today (3D or simulation of natural physics thus "simulation"). So no need to keep the simulator word from the 80'ties in here any more as if it was something special.Since simulation is standard for games today a new name will just be Flight and then Live for the service orientation. Thus Flight Live.So MS product managers and developers keep the simulation project going and as always concerned mainly with the pilots seat please to keep the value and effetiveness of the software (which has always been very good and cutting edge for its time) ...