Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

WOAI

Hi Everyone,I just got done installing numerous WOAI aircraft into FSX, when I go to KJFK I now have aircraft with no textures. I didn't see any text on their site stating some AI Aircraft are not comparable with FSX. I used their automated installer program and did not get any errors, the install completed successfully, any ideas or ways to quickly track this down and fix it?.I checked all WOAI texture sub folders, they contain two files. No WOAI texture folders are empty.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

What Operating System are you using - XP, Vista or Win 7 ?Could be an issue with Direct X 10 preview being on.

Hi Dave,Well, its 12 hours later and I found the problem. It seems some of the AI aircraft textures used are "NOT" compatible with Direct X 10. WOAI states they are compatible with FS2004 and FSX and they are. However, there should be a disclaimer in regards to FSX stating the textures used by WOAI may not be compatible with Directx10.This one line statement could of saved me hours of grief.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Dave,Well, its 12 hours later and I found the problem. It seems some of the AI aircraft textures used are "NOT" compatible with Direct X 10. WOAI states they are compatible with FS2004 and FSX and they are. However, there should be a disclaimer in regards to FSX stating the textures used by WOAI may not be compatible with Directx10.This one line statement could of saved me hours of grief.
May I offer a suggestion?You suggest that "some" WOAI textures do display properly under Direct X 10 and some do not. Why not open one of the textures using the free DXTBmp utility and note what format this texture is in. (There are a number of choices).Then open one of the textures that do not work (make a backup first of course) and resave the texture (as an extended bitmap) using the same format as the one which does work.Then test it in the sim.I am sure your findings would be of interest to anyone using WOAI under Direct X 10.I would do this myself but run XP which of course does not use Direct X 10.I will look forward to your findings if you decide to do this. :(

I think there are a number of problems with textures in DX10 mode, and unfortunately, many of us hobbyists don't have any DX10 system to test on so we don't even know unless someone tells us later. I think multiplayer is sort of in that category as well.scott s..

I think the assumption should be that any addon is not DX10 compatible unless otherwise noted, rather than the other way around. If it's as simple as texture format, though, I'd be interested to know. That's an issue I could address with a reasonable amount of effort, I suspect.

I'd be curious as well.We know that some aircraft types don't like the DX10 preview mode and that's why we recommend to turn aircraft shadows off.If you had looked into our forums at the FSX section you would have found that information.This will usually fix the invisible aircraft problem.The problem with the textures may be related to the problem and not to the actual texture itself.So the next question would be which aircraft you see without textures ?

Hi,I always run the sim with Aircraft Shadows turned off, that option does not fix at least some of the WOAI Direct X 10 texture problems. If Direct X 10 preview is a know problem and is addressed in the online forum, why not display a one line warning message on the main web page to turn off Aircraft Shadows and/or Direct X 10 itself?. This will at least get rid of some (turning off aircraft shadows) if-not-all (turning off Direct X 10) of the texture problems associated with Direct X 10 and would save WOAI users unnecessary grief in their attempts to isolate the problem and/or find a solution. Aircraft shadows however are not the only problem here, because I still have texture problems even with Aircraft Shadows turned off. If I turn off Direct X 10 all WOAI aircraft textures display just fine.As to the Direct X 10 problem, how would I go about finding out which aircraft folders are not displaying textures, I show numerous blank aircraft of different types. I have no problem changing/converting textures with DXTBmp but I need to know which texture folders to go after.Thanks

I'd be curious as well.We know that some aircraft types don't like the DX10 preview mode and that's why we recommend to turn aircraft shadows off.If you had looked into our forums at the FSX section you would have found that information.This will usually fix the invisible aircraft problem.The problem with the textures may be related to the problem and not to the actual texture itself.So the next question would be which aircraft you see without textures ?

I had missing A/C textures from FS9 built AI A/C all around FS Dream Team's new KFLL Airport add-on.Found out later that the PAPI Lighting system they use caused the FS9 built A/C to vanish (Just visible strobes).I had to diable A/C ground shadows anytime I'm near this particular Airport now...

Chris Camp

The invisible aircraft problem isn't a DX10 problem, but a FSX SP2 problem in general. This problem occurs also in DX9 mode with SP2. I have it on my system in Win XP. Turning aircraft shadows off corrects it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi,I'm not talking about invisible aircraft with or without Nav/Strobe lights being displayed, I'm talking about textures not displaying on an aircraft I can see. The aircraft displays as one white texture, since the problem is gone when you turn off Direct X 10, I think I can safely assume that its not a service patch issue but a Direct X 10 issue.Thanks

The invisible aircraft problem isn't a DX10 problem, but a FSX SP2 problem in general. This problem occurs also in DX9 mode with SP2. I have it on my system in Win XP. Turning aircraft shadows off corrects it.

Guest sssummer
Hi,I'm not talking about invisible aircraft with or without Nav/Strobe lights being displayed, I'm talking about textures not displaying on an aircraft I can see. The aircraft displays as one white texture, since the problem is gone when you turn off Direct X 10, I think I can safely assume that its not a service patch issue but a Direct X 10 issue.Thanks
The problem is that the aircraft and their textures are not DX10 compatible. The only way I know of to fix that is through this payware program called Add On Converter X. http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/ It works fine and all of your AI traffic will show up with textures in FSX DX 10 compatibility mode.

To identify the aircraft without textures us can use the SDK.When you taxi around on an airport and you encounter an aircraft you can use the Traffic toolbox that comes with the SDKhttp://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/index.php/t56945.html As soon as we know which type of aircraft is causing the problems then we can narrow down the issue.Oh btw tf51d was (AFAIK) part of the FSX development team at aces.