Sign in to follow this  
Lifter191

Changing ICAO code from UGEE to UDYZ

Hi GuysI've just downloaded the excellent Zvartnots - Yerevan scenery from the Russian avsim site..Since FS2004 came out the code for this airport has been changed from UGEE to UDYZ. Is there anyway to change this within FS2004??CheersSteve

Hi GuysI've just downloaded the excellent Zvartnots - Yerevan scenery from the Russian avsim site..Since FS2004 came out the code for this airport has been changed from UGEE to UDYZ. Is there anyway to change this within FS2004??CheersSteve
Yes, it can be done. I've discussed this in another forum at http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=207235 if that helps.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I looked at that other thread and have a couple of comments:1. There is no way to remove an ICAO that is included within the default AP9 files. In theory, one could edit the default AP9 file and make the change. The only utility I am aware of that edited this file is JabBGL. That file will edit the airport, runway, and runway start elevations (only) within an AP9. It works correctly EXCEPT FOR AN AIRPORT BELOW SEA LEVEL (negative altitude). I have never seen a utility to change an ICAO in the AP9, though I suppose it is feasible.The other alternative some try, is to use one of the bglcomp disassembly utilities to disassemble the AP9 file into xml, edit the xml, and then use bglcomp to recreate the modified AP9 file. This is pretty much guaranteed to mess up the resulting AP9 file, most likely making a hash of the approach code. Thus it is pretty strongly recommended not to try to edit the default AP9 file. Most common work around is to use an "AFCAD" type program to remove everything from the old ICAO airport, and place a new airport with the new ICAO at the same location. (Of course you have to fix your traffic files as well.)2. As far as a modified default FL9 file, these files contain the mesh flattening info for the airports within the geo coverage of the file, and it is OK to edit (replace) the default ones if you need to move or adjust the default flatten for an airport.If the problem is a need to change the default airport elevation (floating or sinking aircraft on the ground) the preferred method now is use of a ALT "stub" airport AFCAD file placed in scenery\world\scenery. This will cause the new elevation to be correctly seen by FS9 without having to change the AP9 file at all.scott s..

In ADE9X there is a tool to change the airport elevation.Also, default scenery furnishes a base for existing airport mods but the details seem to be capable of exclusions and/or modification. After the changes resultant XML is recompiled (if desired) or hand edited and then compiled into a .bgl. Perhaps that is powerful enough to change the ICAO and preempt the original scenery by priority.As an aside, I have used an afx editor file as a base file for ADE9X and was able to view its functions so I'm sure it can modify those without using the AFX editor. This would preserve any designer modifications in the AFX, delete any desired excludes, modify the AFX mods plus add, change or delete XML approach codes as an added function, and recompile. This is to keep the layer count down and get the added functionality.

-----------------------2. As far as a modified default FL9 file, these files contain the mesh flattening info for the airports within the geo coverage of the file, and it is OK to edit (replace) the default ones if you need to move or adjust the default flatten for an airport.If the problem is a need to change the default airport elevation (floating or sinking aircraft on the ground) the preferred method now is use of a ALT "stub" airport AFCAD file placed in scenery\world\scenery. This will cause the new elevation to be correctly seen by FS9 without having to change the AP9 file at all.scott s..

1. There is no way to remove an ICAO that is included within the default AP9 files. In theory, one could edit the default AP9 file and make the change. The only utility I am aware of that edited this file is JabBGL. That file will edit the airport, runway, and runway start elevations (only) within an AP9. It works correctly EXCEPT FOR AN AIRPORT BELOW SEA LEVEL (negative altitude). I have never seen a utility to change an ICAO in the AP9, though I suppose it is feasible.The other alternative some try, is to use one of the bglcomp disassembly utilities to disassemble the AP9 file into xml, edit the xml, and then use bglcomp to recreate the modified AP9 file. This is pretty much guaranteed to mess up the resulting AP9 file, most likely making a hash of the approach code. Thus it is pretty strongly recommended not to try to edit the default AP9 file. Most common work around is to use an "AFCAD" type program to remove everything from the old ICAO airport, and place a new airport with the new ICAO at the same location. (Of course you have to fix your traffic files as well.)
You are right, it cannot be removed completely but by creating a "blank" AFCAD you can disable enough to hide it all but a single mention in the Go To Airport list, which I think is sufficient for most peoples' needs, it certainly works for me and I have many re-coded airports on my setup. It will certainly prevent AI using the airport under both codes.It has been documented by people that know far more than I do about these things that dis-assembly and re-assembly of APxxxx.bgl files loses certain data in the process. I do not know how critical that data is but personally I prefer not to risk that.The other risk factor with modifying the original file is that, because there are several airports to an APxxxx.bgl file, if one developer modifies it for his airport, and another modifies the original for his, we would end up in a right mess.Best wishes,John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Just to be clear in my reference to ADE9X I was not intending to modify/replace the original APxxx file but wondered if that section could be prempted (for that one scenery) by priority with a compiled .bgl with a new ICAO code built in ADE, much more powerful than AFCAD.

ADE9/ADEX follows the guidance provided in the sdk documents and the respective bglcomp compilers. It uses deleteAirport directives to remove the default airport facility data, and scenery exclusion rectangles to exclude default scenery objects. The sdk did not provide a means of removing an entire airport, including reference to its ICAO. Further, it is undocumented, but FS uses the default files to build up databases used for various purposes, including setting up the AI aircraft and populating the "go to airport" menu options. It builds a set of database index files that are in the same place as fs9.cfg/fsx.cfg in a "facilities" subfolder. The AIndex.IDX file is an alpha-sorted list of airports by name, and the IIndex.IDX is a list of airports sorted by ICAO. I don't know what all use is made of these IDX files, but I assume it is related to the problem of changing an airport's ICAO and name. IIRC back in the days of AFCAD1, when there were separate airport facility data files, AFCAD actually edited the default AFD files, and it was possible to edit the "namelist" section which I think was the part of the file used to populate the lists of ICAOs.scott s..

by creating a "blank" AFCAD you can disable enough to hide it all but a single mention in the Go To Airport listJohn
Hi John,In Afcad2.21 I deleted everything for the default airport (except navaids, which it wouldn't let me) and successfully removed the components visual in the sim.However the airport still showed up on the map and the GPS.Should this be expected, or did I do something wrong?thanks for all your contributions,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

That's expected - you cannot remove the "core" of the airport.Make sure you remove all the radio frequencies, so it doesn't show up in ATC.Hope this helps,